Some questions...

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Boustrophedon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Some questions...

Post by Boustrophedon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:12 pm

The Model is a Mamod loco of indeterminate age, much modified, the boiler is original but has had an in cab regulator fitted, it runs a standard safety valve and has nice replacement plain steel wheels. I have added a Bix burner and tank. It needs a lubricator fitted as it has no real means of lubricating it at the moment.

First Question; does anyone run with the cab back on? I can't reach the regulator nor more importantly see the water level with it on. Now I fitted the gas tank, I have had to extend the regulator handle so it doesn't foul the tank and pipework, so the cab back no longer fits.

Second; How long a run should you get, having sealed various leaks I am now getting about 20 minutes. Is this about right? After my last run I had 15cc of water left after 18 mins..

Third; Where is the best source of rolling stock? I have two Mamod vans, but at £50 a shot that's too much and they look, well tinny. Ideally I am looking for kits to build.

Fourth; which is best, in line lubricator or dead leg?

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:21 pm

4) - In line by a long shot. RWM do them.

3)Look online - secondhand can often be a good bet. Try IP Engineering, HGL or Swift Sixteen for Mamod-friendly stock.

2)20mins a run sounds about right.

1)Cab backs - most people don't run with the cab backs. Those that do and that have regulators end up cutting a square section out of the top half of the cab back to ensure they can access the reg.

Hope that helps :)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:18 am

1. Many Mamod SL/MSS operators run without the cab back fitted for exactly your problems (water level is particularly important with a standard boiler when gas fired). You can either modify the standard cab back as Doug (dougrail) has stated, or you can buy 1 of 2 different styles of half cab backs from RWM Steam ( http://roywoodmodels.co.uk/rwm-steam-upgrades ).

2. 20 mins running on a standard Mamod SL boiler is very good.

3. Agree with Doug (dougrail). You can pick up some suitable rolling stock 2nd hand at good prices. The IP Eng Freelance Goods Kit range ( http://www.ipengineering.co.uk/page157.html ) are a good Mamod compatible size, as are the HGLW Everyman range ( http://www.eagleassist.com/hglw/kits.html ), Swift Sixteen small wagons ( http://www.swiftsixteen.co.uk/products.php#Small Wagons ), and even the Andel range (no longer available new).

4. Like the water debate there is a lot of different opinions here. I actually find the dead leg lubricators are better (use less steam oil than the inline lubricators) provided you prime the steam pipe each time, but they can be more difficult to fit properly (the original designer, Mike Chaney, incorporated an 'O' ring for sealing the steam pipe that is push fitted into the T piece). Some of the subsequent copies made by IP Eng & Dream Steam do not have that 'O' ring, and slightly different T pieces. This can lead to lots of steam leaking either here or at the reverser valve. I solder the steam pipe into the T piece and ensuring the T piece is at the correct angle into the reverser valve, which usually requires filing some of the T piece body off so it does not rest against either the reverser valve pivot or cylinder pivot bolt. If you fit an inline lubricator you need to remember that they are drilled for different grades of steam oil - the Roundhouse one is for 220 steam oil, whereas the RWM Steam ones are for 460 steam oil.

Chris Cairns