Latest Mamod Offering

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Latest Mamod Offering

Post by Enginehouse » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:06 am

Last Saturday I stumbled across the Mamod stand, neatly tucked away in the corner of the hall at the Large Scale Exhibition at Leamington. Looking at their latest and cheapest loco offering at £310 (show price) it was quite a nice looking piece of kit, complete with gas firing and all the essential bits of the modern loco. There were others on the table rising in both complexity and price. However for a value for money loco that seems to be Mamod only in general shape and name, this little loco seemed to fit the bill. It looked a petty solid and well engineered piece of kit.

Still thinking about it as a possibility for the new indoor layout.
Cheers

Roy H

mikewakefielduk@btinterne
Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:05 pm

Is this the new Mk111 (replaces the Mk11)?

Also were Mamod displaying the new piston valve Thomas Telford?

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Enginehouse » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:00 pm

mikewakefielduk@btinterne:109272 wrote:Is this the new Mk111 (replaces the Mk11)?

Also were Mamod displaying the new piston valve Thomas Telford?
I should think so, as there was only the one available for examining and two others, one rather nice one example with a tender and one that was a fair bit more money that and a fair bit larger so I was not interested in that one at all. None were for sale as they were just taking orders. No idea re the Thomas Telford, as at the time I was being hastled by my most favourite exhibition visitor, one who had no clue about driving the damn great road standard disability trundle truck he was intent on thrusting into everyone else, so I just moved off and left him to it.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:49 pm

looking forwards to seeing some pics as it doesn't appear to be on the website.
Or is it the one that appears on Forest Classics website as only available from them and Mamod?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Mamod have posted the photos in their Exhibitor Info here - http://www.nationalgardenrailwayshow.or ... d-limited/

Mark III is on the Mamod website - http://www.mamod.co.uk/shop-categories/mark-iii/

Interestingly these 3 locomotives apparently all have inline lubricators yet there are 3 different designs being used.

Mark III & Saddle Tank 2015 are £320 so the show price discount is lower than previous shows (10%). Note there is an anomaly with their quoted prices - Mark III in Gauge 1 is also £320 on the website (it originally appeared as £340), but is £340 in the Exhibitor Info page.

Chris Cairns

mikewakefielduk@btinterne
Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:54 pm

There's 6 pop rivets per side on the Mk111 (and one of those is below the side tank) while there's 13 per side on the Telford. I don't think that makes the Telford a particularly attractive loco in my opinion.