Pimp my Mamod

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:07 pm

Nice and simple. It came with a replacement pair of steam pipes. You fitted it to the backhead with the two retaining screws. The only issues you might have had was if the backhead was riveted on then they needed drilling out and the holes tapping. You had to cut a little bit away from the meths burner flame guard to run the pipes under the boiler.

My two engines with these fitted ran very well and were very controllable with the long regulator lever. I even fitted RC to one. The regulator only needed about 90 degrees to go from off to supersonic and a crawling speed was possible.

On my first mamod it was the first mod I fitted after the meths burner and high pressure safety valve.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:20 pm

DLRdan wrote:I've always been curious as to how that style of regulator worked as I have heard rumors that it was no better than the original valve.
I have one fitted to a modified SL1K, which also has Mike's upgrade boiler, dead leg lubricator & 'O' ring piston upgrade. It definitely offers better control over the original combined regulator/reverser valve, and as Jim has said can be converted to Radio Control operation.

I have a similar regulator fitted to a Samson Locomotive Works Mamod inspired locomotive. On that regulator it has less than 90 degrees movement between closed & fully open so I need to use the reverser valve as well to keep this loco tamed.

Chris Cairns