MSS mamod

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

MSS mamod

Post by listerboy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm considering buying an MSS Mamod. I've some questions! Are they good runners 'out of the box' or do they need fettling?

And, saddle or tank?

Thanks

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Lots of fettling and soft soldered. BUT can be made to work. An uprated safety valve is a must. Dream Steam. Steel wheels next then an oiler. After this you still have a soft soldered boiler.
Mamod Ltd Mk2 is much much better and out the box. Ask them to pre test it for you. Silver soldered and gas operataed with an oiler too boot.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:21 pm

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Depends what you're after. MSS are easier to customer and personalise, plus upgrade support easily available via Roy Woods and Dream Steam. However you would be advised to thoroughly check the build quality when received - in one case, the wheels were not 100% circular, and in another case which I had to 'rescue recovery', the pistonheads in the cylinders were not 100% straight, causing gritting and seizure without an overload of oil in the 'Basic' cylinders.

Bill/Rubery
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Bill/Rubery » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:23 am

Steamy !'s reply above say's it all....Look forward to lots of messing about when all you might want to do is have a bit of fun running a steam train! You might get what you pay for.....or maybe you wont.....
Regards, Bill/Rubery

www.amalgamatedconserves.org.uk

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:48 am

I think I must be the odd one out. My first loco was a red MSS tank engine and ran perfectly straight out of the box. I even ran it on solid fuel for 3 months untill I got chance to purchase a spirit burner. I was so impressed with how it ran I bought a Mamod one 6 months later. The latest MSS locos have been of variable quality, the machining of the wheels for one. There are locos on this forum that have barely any MSS parts left however I do have one that is pretty much standard and runs just as well as my modified version. As for saddle vs side tank that is up to you, the saddle tank is the rarer of the two if you like being different.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:59 am

What Dan said. I'm guilty of having a so-called Mamod where only the smokebox, side-tanks and cab pieces are all that remain of Malins.