Wheels?

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Wheels?

Post by PeachBottom » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:54 pm

We bought a Mamod kit at Peterborough and after putting it together and giving it trials at both Dave Mees line and Llechfan, it's become obvious that the wheels are slightly out of gauge. Any suggestions for where to source better wheels from? I purchased my kit from Dreamsteam, but I worry if I buy new wheels from them they will be the same size as the current ones and the problem would persist.

I also had a problem with the piston, but I'll have to leave TommyDodd to explain that one as it's beyond my comprehension.....
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. These sort of problems sound like manufacturing issues in which case Dream Steam should be approached in the first instance to assist in rectification or replacement.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Sorry to hear of your troubles Peachbottom, I have heard of over-gauged wheels once before.

Do you have any photos of the loco assembled? Have you any modifications on the cards?
YouTube ChannelImage

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:33 pm

I assume this is actually an MSS kit. As Peter (Superbiker_uk) has said your first approach should be to Dream Steam to have the faulty parts repaired or replaced.

If you have been following the Topics on here you will be aware that Dream Steam's Customer Service has previously been brought into question, so it would be good to hear your upcoming experience.

I've not come across a set of Mamod SL/MSS wheels which have been over-gauge. I have however recently had success using Loctite 603 to fix loose wheels back onto the shouldered axles. Apart from the 2nd hand market the only after market steel replacement wheels for Mamod SL/MSS locos are from Dream Steam & RWM Steam.

Be interested to hear what the problem with the piston was as sadly MSS have recently downgraded their cylinder assemblies, which is bad news for us when we need to replace their earlier version.

Chris Cairns.
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Wed May 07, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:33 pm

Both issues with MSS manufacturing I see.

RE wheels, you have two options: seek an exchange from MSS or upgrade to a set of steel wheels. I'd try the first though for costs sake. Though plain disc steel wheels are easier to paint/detail.

RE Cylinders - not surprised here, again, MSS. I had a patient at Elsecar - brand new MSS cylinders, were very gritty and stiff. By feeding oil into them, we were able to get the loco concerned to run a few excellent laps round 'Rhydypendryn' but then it seized up.

I'd acted as "emergency rescue/recovery" - the cylinders were then sent to ace, who found the pistonheads were off badly. I'd be interested to see what TommyDodd makes of the Purple Peril's cylinders [point in itself: Have you named her yet?]

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:01 am

dougrail:100148 wrote:the cylinders were then sent to ace, who found the pistonheads were off badly
And I have fixed them. ;)
YouTube ChannelImage

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:48 pm

You certainly did good sir :)

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Mon May 05, 2014 8:41 pm

Her name is Paloma! :)

Pics coming....I have a bunch on my real camera, but this one off Instagram will have to do for now:

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Wed May 07, 2014 9:41 pm

It's purple....but works with the brass and black :) Any news on the repairs or upgrades yet?

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 pm

No time to even sort out what we want to order, let alone do any of it! :(

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu May 08, 2014 10:43 pm

Looks an interesting colour though I think you could use a day in my workshop.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail