Mamod SL1 screws

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
godsteam
Cleaner
Cleaner

Mamod SL1 screws

Post by godsteam » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 am

Hi - Can anybody tell me what size and type of self tapping screw that can be used to refit the side tank to the smoke box after the rivets have been removed. Local DIY stores and Screwfix don't seem to have anything so where can I buy a small quantity?

steam4ian
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steam4ian » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:20 am

I don't know where you reside.

I know Jaycar have small quantity pack is Oz and UK. No doubt other electronics parts stores stock similar items; if in the USA try Radio Shack.

The other option is model engineer screw and bolt packs in ME threads at your hobby shop. Try the fixture which stocks things for radio control linkages etc.

I am surprised you hardware stores can't sell you packs of about 20. They always come in handy.

Regards
Ian
Ian

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Sadly Mamod & MSS have never specified the size of those posidrive screws.

You can get a basic fastener pack which includes the posidrive screws - http://www.dreamsteam.co.uk/fixing-kits ... -pack.html

Personally I find these posidrive screws (or the bodywork holes) do not last after being removed/replaced a couple of times during maintenance. So when I remove a boiler I soft solder a couple of 6BA nuts to the inside face of the boiler front giving a more secure option.

Chris Cairns.