Slightly silly mamod question

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:00 pm

nikkor:99270 wrote:Assuming well maintained and ran regularly on weekends for about three hours total.
It really is impossible to say, 2 people could look at a locos paintjob one could think its fine the other could think it needs a repaint.

But if painted properly it should last many years, I haven't seen many locos repainted because of heat damage, most get repainted after a longtime because the paint has faded or become scuffed or chipped over the years
A steam propelled life-style.

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 pm

Alright, what kind of maintenance do you do on them?

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:33 pm

nikkor:99276 wrote:Alright, what kind of maintenance do you do on them?
You mean for their paintwork?

Just given them a wipe down after they cool down from a run, don't let dirt build up.

The thing to giving the paintwork a long life is to get it right when you actually do the painting, using the right paints and getting the dry and baking time right

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:37 pm

No no, I mean mechanical.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:41 pm

nikkor:99279 wrote:No no, I mean mechanical.
Oh basic maintenance is mostly common sense stuff, use steam oil in the steamline, mechanical oil for the motion, use pure water with no minerals in it so the boiler doesn't suffer buildup.

Clean the oil from the motion often with a light solvent so it doesn't collect grit and become a grinding paste.
Keep an eye on your gaskets and 0 rings and replace them when they perish.

D these little jobs often and it should outlast you

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Who else makes mamod like locomotives/rolling stock?

Which track do you recommend?

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:47 pm

nikkor:99282 wrote:Who else makes mamod like locomotives/rolling stock?

Which track do you recommend?
For track Im assuming you run on 0 gauge/32mm? If so peco 32mm track.

As for rolling stock mamods are good with pretty much anything but SwiftSixteen are doing a range of wagon and coach kits sized to go behind mamods

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:29 am

1)Do Mamods do internal-fired boilers?

A: 99.9% - no. As pauly and Dan explained, almost all 'mamod' type locos are external potboilers as the boiler volume is simply, too small.

There is one Mamod type loco with an internal gas fire a la Accucraft - however due to its flue etc taking up volume, it runs for about 5 mins before going out.

2)How long does a Mamod last before a repaint or a rebuild?

A) Depends how you look after it. Regarding paintwork, if you're careful with your engine and its fuel and fire, it should last a decent good while. It is best to use a paint and primer which will take the warmth, such as CarPlan. Or 2-pack car paint if you have access to such facilities. Paintwork and lining is one reason I favour gas - [needless to say, no doubt I shall be assailed by the resident Twdee and Twdu after this post] - meths, although just as good a fuel in terms of firing as gas, it is more destructive towards paint. So if you continually splash meths on your paintwork, it will gradually take it out.

On safety terms, gas has its own hazards but it doesn't harm paint. Both however should be treated with respect.

Mechanically, depends on your maintenance and checks again as pauly adds. I would add to this: how high do you have your fire. Overheat can affect a Mamod loco - you can boil it dry, or damage the sight glass or even attack the soft soldering of the brass boiler. If you employ a gas burner on a standard boiler loco, you must be very careful.

3)Who Else makes Mamod-like locos and rolling stock?

A)Roy Wood Models - makes the 'Janet' which is a finer-engineered and superior design to the old SL Mamods. Also, Mamod Ltd, based in Smethwick now do New Mamod Locos which are silver soldered boilers and gas fired.

Hope this helps

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:07 am

Huh, so do the the new mamods (I can't recall what the name of the new non-oscillating ones are called) have a different burner like something on a roundhouse?

steam4ian
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steam4ian » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:41 am

Regarding internally fired boilers that are not gas fired.

The options are B and C type boilers

See http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk/ml ... henson.pdf

The B type is the one with the tubes through the shell above the burner and the C type has the tubes through both ends with a fire box to contain the flame.

I will have to look at my MSS/Mamod to see which one might work.

My latest acquisition is an Aster 0-4-0 with a B type boiler, that steams very well (The MSS/Mamod is still struggling)

Based on my experience with the Aster I suggest a Mamod with a B or C type boiler might only need one large wick due to the increased efficiency. A separate water gauge would be required or a electronic level gauge.

Regards
Ian
Ian

steam4ian
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steam4ian » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:11 am

Ian