Mamodification question

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Mamodification question

Post by listerboy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:20 pm

I'm curious if anybody has ever done this Mamodification. Apologies if I'm verging on the ridiculous here!

An original boiler with the steam pipe that goes up the middle to the dome. Could this be tapped and blanked? Where the whistle went would be placed a Tee piece, a top up valve on the top. The other branch would be fitted with a regulator & lubricator, with possibly another Tee feeding a pressure gauge.

Feasible?

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Mamodification is very much alive and feasible. I assume you mean something similar to what has been done here for the regulator etc?

listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by listerboy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:14 am

This looks like what I'm looking for.

http://www.dreamsteam.co.uk/mss-mamod-u ... r-kit.html

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Yes... That's been done thousands of times and makes a basic loco a bit quicker and a bit more powerful.
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:09 pm

Definitely the way to go. With some careful assembly you can build quite a powerful little loco. Here is a video of my 'Dream Steam Works' loco I call 'Titan'. It doesn't have a chuff pipe - it just sounds like that.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/hJd5ZeQ9zAs?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/hJd5ZeQ9zAs?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
YouTube ChannelImage