New16mm association Mamod site

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:36 am

There are a good amount of people on here who have had problems with them. If a beginner tries them and receives faulty parts then it's disheartening from the start. Doug has had troubles with their cylinders. Narrow minded has had problems with their wheels and so has Ace, both of whom has had trouble with their customer service as well.
When we buy spare parts we do not expect to have to correct poor workmanship when on the website they are described as complete.
I think it's a shame that they have gone this way and if you've had no problems with them then continue using them, but until they have resolved a few of their issues in customer service and quality of workmanship they will not go on the useful links page.
I hope in the future I can add them to the page as they do have a good range.

Arcandier
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Arcandier » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:44 pm

pauly:92144 wrote:
Superbiker_uk:92132 wrote:
laurence703:92016 wrote:We've left DS off the list as there seems to be growing list of complaints about their products and the quality of them. Some things are ok from them but we don't want to advertise a company who has let down so many.
I appreciate that there have been problems. I have had them with wheels. However, positively excluding a generally good supplier of Mamod / MSS loco parts is a bit daft IMO. I have had problems with some of the other suppliers you have induded. I do not think you should exclude DS being listed just because some of the DS problems have had a bit more 'air play'. When you say 'so many', exactly how many is that?
Plenty that I can think of, problem with DS isn't so much their quality control its the way they fob their customers off when they have a complaint.
Their full of empty promises and they only ever seem to delay customers, when Ace was renovating my SL2 he had loads of trouble ad it tools three odd weeks for replacements to be sent out.
In that time DS claim they had never had a complaint about their wheels which we all know isn't true so you can add Being Liars to the list of issues I personally have with them

So yeah I support not including them in the list they don't deserve promotion when they treat their customers like gullible fools
I totally agree with that !

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:51 pm

I'm of two minds on DS [and can't believe I'm wading in on this]

When I started receiving problems, my main grump has been supercylinders.

I bought them in Oct 2010 at the end of the Plymouth era, and stashed them away in a vaccuum pack until Sept 2011 excluding 3 weeks when they were sent away for tweaking.

Now, in Oct/Nov 2011 they were steamed up and after about 4-5 hrs running the piston-end cap fell out. I wrote to DS and provided a copy of my receipt, a link to my diary with the photos proving the cyls had been unused until Oct 2011 and a photo of the issue.

They took them back and repaired them first time no argument.

Yup.

Got them back two weeks later and ran with them then from Nov 2011 - Feb 2013.

However I found that one piston was 2-3mm longer than the other. I discovered this by accident with my magnifyer. I then got a good friend with an eye for such things to double check it - he confirmed my findings. That's what I went full-out Refit.

So on the one hand, first time, I good really awesome service to be fair - I mean within a year, fixed/warrantied. Awesome.

But the quality of 'finished products' was a concern. It shouldn't have happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I personally followed Narrow Minded's quest about his wheels being screwy. I then noted down Ace's correspondence thread.

All i can say is, is with what has been presented thus far, it explains the position Laurence has taken.

But it is of no concern to I anymore.

The Denying Dutchman
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by The Denying Dutchman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:45 am

dougrail:92191 wrote: So on the one hand, first time, I good really awesome service to be fair - I mean within a year, fixed/warrantied. Awesome.

But the quality of 'finished products' was a concern. It shouldn't have happened.
Can it be that the current owner is a trader by trade without much if any experience with machining and that he is dependend on whoever makes the parts? That would explain why Ace for example got a faulty wheelset as a replacement.

I saw that happen years ago with the local RC hobby shop, the new owner knew what he was selling, but he had no experience whatsoever with what he was selling. I once had to help him help a customer because he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and thus couldn't solve a (fairly simple) problem. :lol:
Paul

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:02 am

It could be.

Perhaps someone could investigate. However, there are those who have had more indepth experience than I who may be able to share a more knowledgeable view than I have of the 'indepth' matters.

However I now withdraw, as it no longer is my concern.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:18 am

Some of their products are good it's just the few that are letting them down, but enough of that. Can everyone get on to our website now?

I must add that every decision that is made for the group is by myself and James. It's not by any means a one man band. If anyone has any suggestions then we will welcome them and in the future if anyone wants to play trains on the portable ( when it's built ) then as long as you treat the layout and other operators with consideration it's all good :) but I'd expect nothing less from the members of this forum :)

lukejpetch
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by lukejpetch » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:59 pm

laurence703:92204 wrote:Can everyone get on to our website now?
Having no trouble accessing it on my mac through Safari or Chrome, don't know about IE though. I'm sure others can report!

I'm not sure what the 16mm Mamod group will develop into, but I look forward to being part of it!

Cheers :)
Ames Light Railway
Chief Engineer - Luke Petch

"So Luke, is this the one that set fire to the track?"

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:38 pm

New announcement on the Webpage made earlier today, for those wanting to be added to the Bi-Monthly Newsletter list which is to contain articles on what other members are up to, events and other features can do so by emailing us at mamod-owners@hotmail.com (not .co.uk as was on the website earlier... :oops: )

http://mamod-owners.wix.com/mamod-owner ... ices/c1cv8

:)