MSS steam locomotives.

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:07 am

If you are undecided then I would say do consider a Roundhouse Bertie or Ragleth from Accucraft. With Roundhouse you have more detail for the purchase and often heavier built body wise. With Roundhouse you have spares and back up. A new Accucraft or second hand Roundhouse base loco will have you not wanting for more. I sold my Mk2 only because I own a Roundhouse loco. If I only had a Mamod Mk2 I would want more in time which would cost me more long term.
If I have financial difficulties like more car trouble I will always try to keep one Roundhouse loco for the line. My son who is 10 has a Ragleth which I gave him and it is very solid and works well too.

The longterm view might be worth considering first to save spending on a vast loco fleet with all stories as to why you moved up.

Whatever you decide you will be on a very nice journey of discovery and steam. We all love putting our penny worth of thought in because we are still on it. I'm sure we all muse over which loco, it is half the fun. Do share your photos of what you end up with as it will be fun to see.

One last thing If you went second hand a Roundhouse will give more spares options. If you went new Accucraft may be cheaper..

Bandit
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Bandit » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Buying a steam loco needs a lot of money. So I must take all the time needed before ordering anything. I'm working hard on it and maybe one day...you'll see a few photos!

Bandit
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Bandit » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:04 pm

I tried but I never found a good MSS retailer. :twisted:  :twisted:
My search returns absolutely no result. :evil:
So the MSS loco will never be on my wish list.
That's all folks ! Thank you all for your help.