New Slide Valve Cylinders being developed by Mamod

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

New Slide Valve Cylinders being developed by Mamod

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:54 pm

After a long wait with no news on the Thomas Telford project, Mamod have just posted some photos of the new cylinders (they are calling them 'D' cylinders) that are being developed for future locomotives on Facebook - www.facebook.com/pages/Mamod-Steam-Engi ... tos_stream

If you do not have a Facebook account just click on the appropriate photo to view it, then with your cursor over the photo you will see left/right arrows to move through the album. Click X top right or press Esc to close the photos.

Be interesting to see if they produce a video of these cylinders working (in their latest video they deliberately run a boiler dry to show the damage caused to the sight glass plastic and how to fit a new one).

Chris Cairns.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:11 am

Well, isn't that interesting. That little chassis really only differs from the Roundhouse "Bertie" one in minor details. They'd better not "propose" it to anyone who works at Roundhouse! Even got the dome-shaped circular slide valves!

I bet it'll be a good runner if it goes into production.

mikewakefielduk@btinterne
Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:26 am

That's interesting and very encouraging. Unfortunately I haven't had to go across to Birmingham recently so no excuse to drop into Mamod to see what they're up to. They're going to be attending Warley at the NEC this year so hopefully will get some more info then.

Mike

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:11 pm

Not surprising really Keith as I understand Mamod bought some Roundhouse cylinders to have a look see & see how it is done.

The Mark I/Mark II/Diamond Jubilee locos all have oscillating cylinders & wheels which were developed from the original MSS ones.

When they were having problems with the output of their gas burners I understand they bought a Roundhouse poker burner for comparison. Fortunately they became aware of a design fault with their burner venturi which when corrected made a significant difference.

I see they have fitted presumably 'O' ring fitted glands to the piston & valve rods. I hope they have their dimensions correct this time as I've found those fitted on my Mamod oscillating & piston valve cylinders do not actually compress the 'O' rings and I've had to fit a 2nd 'O' ring and hand tighten the gland nut to get a better steam tight seal.

Be interesting to see if they respond to the Comments posted on the Facebook Page (no response to my Harry the Rocket comment so far) as there has been some recent criticism that they do not reply to e-mail enquiries.

Chris Cairns.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:23 pm

What was your Harry Rocket comment?
A steam propelled life-style.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Pauly, they posted the photo of the original prototype (not the production version) that I posted on here recently.

Then a James Chantry posted this comment on 27 Sep 2013
Apparently I have a pre-production one, bought from a chap in Birmingham who used to work at the factory. It has a hole drilled in the boiler inside the chimney so sadly can't be steamed though.
So I posted this comment on 01 Oct 2013
But this is not the production model Harry the Rocket that was sold. Does this prototype model still exist?

James the hole in the chimney should not stop you steaming your Rocket. It is in the boiler void at the front just like the traction engine boiler, easily proven by filling the boiler with water and proving it does not leak out. Mine has the same hole but I'll not steam it as it is bought for collection purposes only having never been used.
There has been no reply from Mamod or James Chantry.

Chris Cairns.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:48 pm

Chris Cairns:91011 wrote:Pauly, they posted the photo of the original prototype (not the production version) that I posted on here recently.

Then a James Chantry posted this comment on 27 Sep 2013
Apparently I have a pre-production one, bought from a chap in Birmingham who used to work at the factory. It has a hole drilled in the boiler inside the chimney so sadly can't be steamed though.
So I posted this comment on 01 Oct 2013
But this is not the production model Harry the Rocket that was sold. Does this prototype model still exist?

James the hole in the chimney should not stop you steaming your Rocket. It is in the boiler void at the front just like the traction engine boiler, easily proven by filling the boiler with water and proving it does not leak out. Mine has the same hole but I'll not steam it as it is bought for collection purposes only having never been used.
There has been no reply from Mamod or James Chantry.

Chris Cairns.
James is the admin of the Mamod and other steam forum?
Have you asked him on there?
Iv seen his model its a very rough prototype of the production model if Im remembering it correctly its unsteamable because of its rough condition
A steam propelled life-style.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Seems that Mamod are embracing Facebook (they previously had a Twitter account but its use was discontinued) as here are their responses posted today following comments from 7 Facebook followers.
Thanks to everybody for your responses. This design is in the very early stages of research and development but it is very encouraging to see the enthusiasm for its potential. An article about this engine, its early designs and our hopes for it in the future, will be published on the Mamod Facebook forum so keep your eyes out for it. Thanks again everybody!

Christopher, thanks for your input. your ideas will be discussed with the designers. Because this is so early on in development, we ourselves are not entirely sure on its direction but we will be making regular updates on the forum. Keep an eye out and keep posting ideas and opinions you have as they are very valuable to us. videos of its test runs will be coming soon too!
I'll post anything else as it appears.

Chris cairns.