Ace Engineering Works Plantation locomotive

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Peter Butler:90759 wrote:Nice video Ace, I can understand your enthusiasm now.   It does look better running outside in the garden.
Thanks Peter, it does look better outside (in the dark, not so easy to see the red paint :D ), I agree. :)
Crackingjob:90765 wrote:I think two pots on top would look better and hide the valve...try this from one of the books I inherited from my late Dad...(I know its an articulated loco but it gives you an idea)

Actually I like this style of loco...we don't get them in the UK

I think brass turned pots of the style in the pictures (typical US) would be quite becoming

You could loose the whistle and put the valve at the back (with a pot over it) and have the boiler filler up front with a BELL that will take the eye from the filler...just a thought
Thank you so much for sharing your book and pictures, Crackingjob

Well funny you should say that, I was toying with the idea of putting another Mamod dome over the safety valve to hide it after Chris Cairns comments about it being so ugly, and quite right he is too. The whistle is to stay I am afraid, it is part of the make up as the MSR model it is meant to be. I have got a bell coming from the states for the top of the existing dome cover, but it didn't arrive in time for the show. I was unsure of a brass dome, it made me think of a Mamod when I saw it perched on top of the boiler, but maybe?

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:38 am

Glad to help  and actually the whistle will be a nice touch.
As I was going through pictures on my inspiration wall I came across this I can't remember where I found it.. (I hope not to confuse the issue...but thought its good for the thought process)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Crackingjob:90788 wrote:Glad to help  and actually the whistle will be a nice touch.
As I was going through pictures on my inspiration wall I came across this I can't remember where I found it.. (I hope not to confuse the issue...but thought its good for the thought process)

Nice one Dave, normally I don't care for American locos and the bigger they are the less I like them!
This 'little' one has loads of character and plenty of detail which could be transferred onto Ace's loco.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi Guys,

Well today I had a little pop at doing some of the planned modifications to Baldwin. I fitted the Summerlands Chuffer that some may have seen and heard on STWWW and I have fitted an in cab regulator and displacement lubricator.

Here is Baldwin in a array of parts.

The displacement lubricator came from Roy Wood models. He was kind enough to customise it to my own specifications so that fitting would be easier. Thanks Roy! :)

Here is the rough location of the lubricator.

And the regulator fitted

Here is the pipework under the boiler, all superheated from the gas burner.

And here is the gas tank in place, a bit of a full cab now! ;)

I had the opportunity to test last night, so here we are.

And this afternoon after work, getting ready for the off.

Here is a little video, enjoy. :)

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/MdEXKK3icCs?hl=en_GB& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/MdEXKK3icCs?hl=en_GB&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Arcandier
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Arcandier » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Wonderful loco ! A really great work.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Earlier in this thread it was suggested that this loco looks like a Christmas train.

May I bow down and share my video. :)

<object width= "560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Edl8ufNX7M8"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Edl8ufNX7M8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object>