ip jane pressure gauge

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

ip jane pressure gauge

Post by listerboy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:29 am

Hi
I'm planning to put a pressure gauge on my IP jane. Can anybody recommend one?
Thanks

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:55 am

Can you provide details of your boiler please - does it have any studs near the back of the boiler as the PPS RWM Janet does?

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:45 am

Depends on which version of boiler you have fitted to the IP Jane (I'm aware of 3 different versions).

If it is the Cheddar Models version or the later one that is similar to the Dream Steam version (their version is originally modelled on the IP Eng boiler) then you can fit a banjo bolt to the top sight glass fitting and use a syphon tube to mount a suitable pressure gauge - I'd recommend a 1/2" one.

Apart from the Dream Steam offering you would need to find someone to make you the parts - I had Roy Wood Models make me a banjo bolt and syphon tube.

Doug's question is whether you have a PPS boiler fitted which had extra boiler inserts for a pressure gauge & whistle. AFAIK these boilers were never fitted to an IP Jane.

Chris Cairns.

listerboy
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by listerboy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks. I know it was bought in 1998. Is there a reason for the syphon?

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:11 pm

The syphon tube is to protect the pressure gauge against wet steam. The steam condenses in the tube and the pressure gauge is actually measuring the force applied by the steam to the trapped air.

Currently away from home - I'll post a photo of my IP Jane with a pressure gauge on my return. In the meantime you can see it in this Topic - http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6658.html

Chris Cairns.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Here is the pressure gauge fitted to my IP Jane.

I had some difficulty establishing the thread size for the plug fitted to the top of the sight glass assembly. It is 1/4" x 40ME and this is the boiler made by Cheddar Models for IP Engineering. The later IP Jane's were fitted with a slightly different boiler but it has the same size fitting.

I do not like the syphon tube that Dream Steam produce, and of course it could foul the pipework for the displacement lubricator on the other side of the boiler. I got my banjo bolt & syphon tube off eBay, and I had RWM make me one to fit the PPS boiler so that I can use the same pressure gauge on both locos.

Chris Cairns.