Named help

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Steamcoaster
Cleaner
Cleaner

Named help

Post by Steamcoaster » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:38 am

Hi

Ran both my Mamids today - first time in 25 years.

One of them now has PPS meths burner. After adjusting the wicks and using Australian meths all good. The new PPS wheels bought a few years back are not quartered well but seems to run ok.

The PPS gas burner did ok too. But, the valve would not shut off the gas which is a concern. It's the first time I used it since purchase a few years ago. No warranty now and I think the owner of PPS died.

The loco ran well on the burner but the valve seems to offer little control and won't turn off. Any help gratefully recieved.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:28 pm

The owner of PPS, Alan Whitaker, retired. He sold most of his stock to Anything Narrow Gauge ( http://www.anythingnarrowgauge.co.uk/ ), with the rights and remaining parts & stock for the PPS De Winton & PPS Janet being sold to Roy Wood, who now sells them as the RWM De Winton & Janet ( http://www.roywoodmodels.co.uk/ ).

As far as I'm aware the PPS steel wheels were just pressed onto the axles. So if you heat them up you should be able to remove a wheel, reset the quartering and fix the wheel back onto the axle with Loctite 603.

Your leaking gas valve sounds like a failed 'O' ring. My PPS gas tank still has some gas in it so I cannot take it apart at present, but if you undo the union nut that secures the gas valve you can then unscrew the gas valve completely. There will probably be one small 'O' ring on the shaft of the gas valve, and a second one inside the union nut to seal the shaft.

Mamods can be addictive. Glad to hear you have picked up the 'bug' again after a 25 year break. We always look forward to seeing photos & videos on the Forum.

Chris Cairns.