New SL1k owner needing some advice

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Trabant Dave
Cleaner
Cleaner

New SL1k owner needing some advice

Post by Trabant Dave » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks now, familiarising myself with things, and having collected my Ebay purchase SL1k I've a couple of questions which I hope someone will have the answers to!

The loco is very dusty and there's a few nuts/bolts/screws missing; now I have established that the majority of fixings are 6ba x 3/16 brass cheesehead and have ordered a supply of each from the good old bay of flea, the fixings that join the smokebox to the front of the tanks are both missing and they are referred to in the original instructions only as 'Pozidriv' with no indication of size, so if anyone can point me in the direction of these I'd be grateful.

I'm also looking for the fibre washers and aluminium washers that are fitted beneath the whistle; are they the same as the TE1a ones? My SL1k has a rather un-original looking black rubber o-ring which I am looking to replace before I steam her up, the o-ring is a poor fit and is bulging and I'd not be happy running her up on it!

The little loco seems in fairly good shape - the paintwork is a bit grubby as is the brasswork, and the front buffer is far from perpendicular, but nothing that some gentle persuasion will not remedy.

There's a bit of scale inside the sight glass and on the safety, but once I've established how it runs I'll deal with that appropriately, I should receive the meths burner and improved safety valve in the next day or so and then we'll see what happens!

Regards

Dave

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:49 pm

If you follow this link http://www.roywoodmodels.co.uk/ and send Roy there a email he will supply the screws you need.
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:00 pm

You could also try Dreamsteam - PayPal accepted on the website - and purchase the fittings pack that you need:

http://www.dreamsteam.co.uk/fixing-kits-washers.html

You could just get the MSS Mamod Loco Spares - Basic Fastener Pack (this contains the 'Pozidrive' screws) and the MSS Mamod Loco Spares - Basic Washer and Seal Pack (all the seals that you need).

PS WELCOME TO THE FORUM :)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Dave,

Let me have a look through my spare parts as I'm sure I have a few of those pozidrive screws somewhere (I solder a 6BA nut to the inside face of the boiler for a better method of mounting the boiler to the side tanks/smokebox.

The standard Mamod 1/4" fibre washers will fit the safety valve, and the whistle uses the standard 1/4" metal washers (again I'll see if I have any spare metal washers - sorry no spare fibre washers).

Which is the 'O' ring you are talking about?

Be careful with the front buffer beam. It is cast from Mazak (diecast zinc) and will probably break if you try to bend it back into shape. You can use a little heat but it does have a low melting point so be careful.

Chris Cairns.

Trabant Dave
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Trabant Dave » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the links guys, I wish I'd seen the full set before I ordered a huge quantity of 6ba x 3/16 brass nuts and bolts off Ebay, but at least if anyone needs some I can oblige!

Chris, many thanks for having a look for these; I think I have some fibre washers from my TE1a, but if you have the metal ones and a couple of the Pozi screws that would be brilliant; the o-ring is definitely non-original, fitted in the place where the lower washer (No.34 on the instruction sheet) is, and is much too big, thick and quite soft - hence the bulging....

Regards

Dave

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 pm

OK Dave, I've found the following.

2 x MSS Pozidrive screws. These are shorter than the original Mamod ones.

2 x Metal Washers for MSS whistle.

2 x current Mamod/MSS rubber washers which are a direct replacement for the old fibre washers as long as you do not overtighten them.

If you PM/e-mail me your address I'll put them in the post.

Chris Cairns.