RWM Steam boiler

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
pauly
Driver
Driver

RWM Steam boiler

Post by pauly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Will a Janet boiler from RWM steam go onto a mamod chassis and body without modification?

Hope so, don't want to use a DreamSteam boiler
A steam propelled life-style.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Yes but be aware you should really get the PPS/RWM superboiler combustion chamber too. However these will fit into a Mamod chassis and body no problem.

I've got the proof right here.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Will a Janet boiler from RWM steam go onto a mamod chassis and body without modification?
Yes they will and the quality of these boilers is far superior to the DS ones IMO. Also they are serial numbered and come with a boiler test certificate/declaration of conformity. They are expertly made by Western Steam Model Engineers.

The only thing to be aware of is they are Janet boilers and as such have the extra boiler insert for fitment of the pressure gauge. You should request a blanking plug for this or of course get the pressure gauge and connection pipe. You need to make a slot in the cab front for the boiler fitment in the same way as the DS boiler and also a slot for the pressure gauge pipe if you fit it this way.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Be aware that PPS had TWO extra takeoffs - one for pressure gauge and one for the wee whistle they did [but regrettably, RWM doesn't]. Having seen an RWM model boiler at Pboro, it now only has ONE take off.

In regards to carving holes in the cab, you will need to as Superbiker said, make the usual central bell-shaped one for the regulator turret; and then make another indentation for the pressure gauge turret. Don't make it just the size of the pipe; you need to be able to make it tall [and wide nuff] to accommodate the takeoff as a whole.

In terms of supplies - you should automatically get the blanking plugs and o rings for them. I did with mine even though I ordered the pressure gauge in the same bundle.

As for quality? I can sure as hell attest to them. They're bloody brilliant. How do I know?

*whistles innocently* 8)

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Great, a pony collectors just sent me an Email begging for a rare pony from my collection, hopefully I can get enough money for the boiler quicker than expected.

Blanking plug supplied on request you say? Better than PPS already.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:41 pm

Also is the regulator a lever or one of those accursed wheels like the ones DreamSteam?

Just been on the site, brass I parts to allow original mamod domes to be used on Janet boilers? score! I'll be getting 2 of those so my Jane can have one.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:03 pm

Regulator is a lever one - again, mine came with such.

RE takeoff plugs - my boiler was PPS. Both takeoffs had the plugs etc with them. Hoping Roy continues this.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:16 pm

I've been too busy with lots of projects recently but I intend having a workshop clear out and sell off. This will include an unused Dream Steam boiler with the pressure gauge syphon (no pressure gauge).

Chris Cairns.