Interesting mamod on eBay

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Interesting mamod on eBay

Post by Lner fan Sam » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 am

Anyone seen this on eBay looks very interesting.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAMOD-O-GAUGE ... 19daa6dd67

I wonder how well it goes round corners. :lol:
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:09 am

being relatively short wheelbased it shouldnt have too many problems.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Total sidebar, what the heck are "nectar points"?
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:16 pm

I wonder how well it goes round corners.
I would have thought it would have no problem on corners. Looks quite a good modification and probably used the original frames and squeezed in the extra wheel set where the frame spacer hole normally is. It does look like the wheel flanges almost touch each other though. Would be nice to see up close. With the standard Mamod body kit you can't increase the wheel spacing by much before the trailing wheel set start to interfere with the cab front sheet/cab floor on the side tanks. I have now solved that with the 0-6-0 frames I make by rearranging things a bit whilst still being able to use all the standard Mamod side tanks and body work. It was interesting to see at the Midlands Model Engineering Show last month that TGSM (Tony Green Steam Models) will actually sell you an 0-6-0 converted MSS loco:

A bit of a clumsy way to do it though IMO with the extension piece between smoke box and boiler.

I will have to make a more detailed post about how I have overcome the problem of slightly longer frames when my next 0-6-0 is ready to show. It has some new special parts on it that I can't wait to share with fellow Mamod bashers!
Total sidebar, what the heck are "nectar points"?
Nectar is a loyalty rewards programme that runs in the UK whereby you get points for money spent that can be converted into vouchers and discounts.

http://www.nectar.com/NectarHome.nectar

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Had my eye on that for a while now... Looks like it could be a very good little loco! But Wallet says no! as I have MOT and car tax to pay for this month
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm now quite curious as to how TGSM are going to make the 0-6-0's with gas...

The technology exists.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Well the boiler hasn't moved on the TGSM so I'm sure its probably the same type burner as a standard mamod

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:20 pm

That display model doesn't have gas fitted. That's why I'm asking. Nor do I want to have to add an extension...

Plus I want to be able to keep my PPS Burner....

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:23 pm

Well the boiler hasn't moved on the TGSM so I'm sure its probably the same type burner as a standard mamod
It will be the same burner I would have thought but it would sit further back than it would if it was fitted to an 0-4-0. I wonder how much running TGSM has done on the loco with gas. I would have thought the standard boiler would have a problem re the heat that would get to the sight glass? The burner has to sit further back and slightly higher - at least that is what I found - so I would be worried about cooking the boiler sight glass on that set up  :|

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:13 pm

I think I'll await development where steel wheels and copper boilers were involved.

I'm not dismissing this seller or the models by any means - they might well run very good and for a 3-wick meths burner would be great [as the meths burners don't need half as much room as gas burners, and are better suited for the standard boilers.

I'd just prefer to be able to retain the upper half of a loco's superstructure as closely as possible. That and I can't see how a Bix or PPSD gas burner type gas burner would fit in given the arrangement. The only other option I can think of if the 'poker' gas burners as Kenversions, Chaney etc did?

Or Merlin...Merlin's were set up like PPS/Bix [gasbox, pipe, burner] but weren't boxes - the burners were again, cylindrical poker types.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Just an observation but what if the additional boiler piece were taken out and the boiler, tanks and cab were all moved forwards? Obviously you'd need to mount the burners in a new way and cut some holes in the cab floor for the wheels (perhaps cover these with quarter circle wheel splashes?) and extend the cab roof a bit or move the cab back forward and put a bunker there? This could create more room in the cab for fancy toys like RC and Gas bottles and drivers or be kept the same size as usual?

Just an idea?

Or leave it as is and make it look like Elf?

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:20 am

Given that the MSS is the loco of choice for those starting in Garden Railways on a limited budget I do not see a market for an 0-6-0T which costs another £135 (£310 would get you 2 good 2nd hand ones).

Gas burners on a standard Mamod SL/MSS boiler do work but you need to be careful. The solder fillet on the bottom of the boiler is a known weak point, and as Peter has highlighted it is easy to melt the plastic sight glass. By using the current Mamod oval sight glass seal instead of those thin 'O' rings, keeping the water above the minimum level, and strengthening that solder fillet you will have a better experience with gas.
dougrail wrote:the 'poker' gas burners as Chaney did
Mike Chaney 16mmNGM wrote:I only ever made meths burners.
Chris Cairns.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:16 am

laurence703:81926 wrote:Just an observation but what if the additional boiler piece were taken out and the boiler, tanks and cab were all moved forwards?
I have wondered, are the traction engine boilers longer than the steam loco, and same diameter?
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:56 am

Spule 4 wrote:are the traction engine boilers longer than the steam loco- Yes, and same diameter - No (thicker)?
Nice try though!

Chris Cairns.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:23 am

Larger smokebox (or modify the Traction one while at it perhaps?

Or while it could be done, maybe it shouldn't? :lol:
Garrett

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:37 am

Larger smokebox (or modify the Traction one while at it perhaps?
If you recall that was what started off as the Mamod Golden Jubilee prototypes.

Chris Cairns.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:23 am

I stand corrected then re Chaney and gas burners.

I wonder who made the one-piece gas burners that come either with rectangle flat tanks [as per Narrow Minded's a few months back] or the ones with the large round tanks akin to a snail shell?

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 am

I believe Roger Marsh made and marketed mamod gas burners

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Thank you Chris.

Waste not - want not from Mamod I guess!
Garrett