'Frozen Dawn' SL2 re-build

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:24 pm

Working on them now in time for Pboro. 3 assembled, 2 are 2/3 of the way.

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:32 am

I will most likely be at the junior layout for most of the time or will be talking to James about meths firing.
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:30 am

I'll be there with my trolley bag in tow. I have a load of stuff I want to sell and will release my list in the Sales section within next 48 hours.

Best thing is, my prices will be 'Show special' [ie no fiddling for shrapnel] and there'll be a postal-free special for those who'd like to meet me at the Show :D

My little black book already has the free delivery of the new mamod o-ring for Sam.

I have whitemetal axleguards with brass sleeves, several pairs of steel wagon wheels, a couple brass boiler bands, a Mamod loco dragbeam, complete Mamod cab [inc roof and bolts], the complete rake of coaches....

List is not exhaustive, and photos and prices are due within next 48hrs. :)

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Fri May 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Consider this project frozen for the time being

Iv picked up another mamod and Id rather get that one running before I do anything else with this SL2
A steam propelled life-style.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 31, 2013 10:14 pm

Another Mamod? :D
Please tell more (you're allowed to "Bungle" your own thread ;) )

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 31, 2013 10:56 pm

Just be careful with Mamod's as they are addictive and tend to multiply.

I've actually lost count of how many I have now but it is time for a clear out and that should include 3 underutilised locomotives.

Chris Cairns.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Fri May 31, 2013 11:18 pm

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:53 am

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:05 am

Chris Cairns:84138 wrote:............ it is time for a clear out and that should include 3 underutilised locomotives.

Chris Cairns.
Watching this space with interest ;)

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Chris Cairns:84138 wrote:Just be careful with Mamod's as they are addictive and tend to multiply.

I've actually lost count of how many I have now but it is time for a clear out and that should include 3 underutilised locomotives.

Chris Cairns.
Watching this space with a trawler net, harpoon torpedos and several harpoon guns ;) ;)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Sorry Guys but otherwise busy the next few days (have some friends visiting from England).

Basically an SL1K, and SL4 & SL5.

Chris Cairns.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:26 pm

This projects back on.
Now for those who don't know the dome thread insert has broken and now the boiler has to be replaced period.

Took the boiler off, right dear.

Drilled the rivets out but 20+ plus years of grime held it together pretty tight.

In the end I had to cut the steam pipe so I could slide the combustion chamber off.
Damn you Mamod and your random soldering of steam pipes!

Just makes them hard as hell to take apart.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:20 pm

I'm not convinced that Mamod actually soldered those steam pipes in place as the construction method used to make a boiler was to use solder paste and pass the boiler through a furnace. Soldering up the steam pipe with a blow torch would put a lot of heat very close to the steam dome insert, and I'm not sure that the pencil size nozzles were available back in the 1980s.

None of the Mamod SLs that I have (or had) have had a soldered up steam pipe. However my MSS Saddle Tank had a soldered steam pipe which took a lot of heating up before it would melt.

Pity you could not save the steam dome insert. Normally if you apply some flux around the insert and some gentle heating that is enough for the solder to melt and hold the insert again allowing you to remove the steam dome nut. The problem seems to come from having too thin a gasket under the steam dome nut so owners would tighten them up (particularly when they were hot whilst in steam) and thus they were too tight for the weak solder seal which breaks when you try to remove a 'seized' steam dome nut. MSS have slightly changed the boiler insert and the steam dome nut which allows an 'O' ring to give a steam tight seal without over tightening.

Chris Cairns.