IP Engineering 'Jane' History & 'Spot the Difference'

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:09 pm

I think my engine might be the closest to a PPS Jenny then...

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:38 am

Most "Super Mamods" are.

A Jane/Janet is still on the "someday" list.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:19 pm

Fascinating thread

A few years back I bought an unfired early Jane on Ebay and I love it

I actually spoke to whatshisname at IP about it saying how great it was and he took an interest and after asking a few questions and asking for the serial number scratched on her underside he declared her to have came from either the 1st or 2nd batch of Janes
A steam propelled life-style.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:13 pm

Nicely done, is that the loco known as "Coath"? I observe it has the dead early IPEJ riveted and curved-side smokebox as opposed to the Mamod/MSS 'bell' style smokebox.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:02 am

dougrail:81587 wrote:I observe it has the dead early IPEJ riveted and curved-side smokebox .
Those were nice looking smokeboxes. Reportedly the tooling for them failed, a true shame. :cry:
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:36 am

I had one of the PPS Jane's and never really liked it, would of prefered one of the earlier ones but by then you couldn't get them. :-(

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:11 pm

What was wrong with the PPS Janet? :o

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:12 pm

poor build quality actually, parts kept falling off, usually soldered joints

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Did the Jane and later the Janet ever really take off?

I was just reading my old copy of STEAM IN YOUR GARDEN by TAG GORTON and he writes 'New on the market at the time of writing, I confidently expect this locomotive to spawn a new hobby of ''Jane bashing'' with special sections in competitions and ''How to do it'' articles in the garden railway press.''
Now these days not many people seem to know about the Jane and theres certainly not that many kicking around so did Jane ever take off in any real way or was she just there in the background while other locos took the glory?

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:13 pm

paullad1984 wrote:poor build quality actually, parts kept falling off, usually soldered joints
I find that surprising to hear as there was only 2 joints soldered on the PPS Janet - silver soldered on either side of the lubricator. The boilers were also silver soldered but were made for PPS Steam.
pauly wrote:Now these days not many people seem to know about the Jane and there's certainly not that many kicking around so did Jane ever take off in any real way or was she just there in the background while other locos took the glory?
That is the problem with this Forum. The Mamod stuff was moved into this sub-Forum and many of the previous contributors have moved on. Those that still contribute, including myself, are mainly later converts to the Mamod family, and have acquired many of our locomotives 2nd hand.

The IP Engineering 'Jane' was actually a very successful locomotive selling over 8,500 models worldwide. They still appear on eBay - last one sold for £304.85 on 21 Mar 2013 (it was BB 368). Although it remains the company letterhead for IP Engineering, Ivan Prior moved on from supporting live steam locomotives.

The PPS Jenny was only produced in small numbers, and at the start of 2009 the PPS Janet had sold 200 models (refer to Alan Dunster's Garden Rail Mamod articles).
Spule4 wrote:Reportedly the tooling for them failed, a true shame.
I cannot find the article on-line which I read back in about 2008 which explained that IP Eng cast their own smokeboxes. It was my understanding that those riveted ones were made for the Brandbright Jane. Someone needs to talk with Ivan Prior to get the real facts one day.

Chris Cairns.

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Perhaps i was jus biased, as id seen the originals and the pps one just wasn't the same somehow, it eventually got passed onto someone else for nothing and i bought a caradoc....which i then sold to buy a sgt murphy..but this is another story!

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 pm

well I never agreed on the seperation of mamod and the like locos being seperated into this forum, for some reason several individuals had issues with the humble mamods being discussed on the loco board and moved for them to be segregated to this sub board.

really silly, theres so much valuable information here but I was missing it for so long because alot of the time I just forgot about this sub board :|

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:58 pm

pauly:81662 wrote:Did the Jane and later the Janet ever really take off?

I was just reading my old copy of STEAM IN YOUR GARDEN by TAG GORTON and he writes 'New on the market at the time of writing, I confidently expect this locomotive to spawn a new hobby of ''Jane bashing'' with special sections in competitions and ''How to do it'' articles in the garden railway press.''
Now these days not many people seem to know about the Jane and theres certainly not that many kicking around so did Jane ever take off in any real way or was she just there in the background while other locos took the glory?
Good question.

I think the heyday of Mamod mashing was the 80s and early 90s where there were more companies providing spares and upgrades, mechanical and cosmetic, on a 'cottage industry' basis. This has reduced rapidly since then and so there isn't the same variety of parts about. Chaney, IPE. Salem. Kenversions.

Secondly, in 2000, RH introduced their basic locos - which probably started quite a few beginners as opposed to the oscillators.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 am

Chris Cairns:81665 wrote:
pauly wrote:Now these days not many people seem to know about the Jane and there's certainly not that many kicking around so did Jane ever take off in any real way or was she just there in the background while other locos took the glory?
That is the problem with this Forum. The Mamod stuff was moved into this sub-Forum and many of the previous contributors have moved on. Those that still contribute, including myself, are mainly later converts to the Mamod family, and have acquired many of our locomotives 2nd hand.

The IP Engineering 'Jane' was actually a very successful locomotive selling over 8,500 models worldwide. They still appear on eBay - last one sold for £304.85 on 21 Mar 2013 (it was BB 368).

Chris Cairns.
Agreed, Janes seem to be holding value well these days.
Garrett

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:02 am

I suppose we will never see anything quite as charming as the days of real mamodry and Make-Do-Modification in this world of well served modelling

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:34 am

I dunno, some of us are trying to make a go of stuff....I started out with a battered SLK afterall...

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:40 am

yes but never on the same scale or level of nessecity, we are like classic car enthuisiasts tinkering with our aging motors not because of a lack of more reliable alternatives but because we enjoy our tinkering

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:14 am

pauly:81674 wrote:yes but never on the same scale or level of nessecity, we are like classic car enthuisiasts tinkering with our aging motors not because of a lack of more reliable alternatives but because we enjoy our tinkering
Very true :!:

As for some of the previous related comments, for what it's worth I think the introduction of Edrig was the final blow for Janet. With it's low price (and may I even suggest its similar open cab design), it became the "entry level loco of choice" for those who couldn't quite stretch to a Millie (or Bertie).

Also, whatever the reason Mamod threads were given their own sub-forum, I like to think of it in a positive light ~ no other class has been honored with its very own designated part of the forum ;)

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:45 pm

I think a combination of Accucraft with Edrig and Roundhouse with Millie and Bertie started to corner the starter's market.

Add the somewhat-pointless 'stigma' of "oscillator" cylindered engines stemming from the 80s and 90s of Mamod when the factory went through several owners and quality control was up and down like a rollercoaster, added to by the tales of woe stemming from them didn't help.

Thirdly the reduction drastically in the 'industry' of special and upgrade parts [these days it's RWM or DS] followed by the lack of body mods [remember Kenversions] did it in.

Prices, a s/h RH loco can be £450? And an Accucraft, maybe the same, s/h?

However seeing RH now go to nearly £600 new and Accucraft £640+ might open something up. Who knows.

I'm Doug and I like my "classic car". Their format is like a fluid oblong - you can shape it into near anything you like if you try. Saddletanks, tender locos, colonials, gasworks engines, quarry engines...

As for a special forum? Why not - it keeps things clearer for us! :D

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Another thing that killed of Janet's and occilators of similar design is the general thought in the 16mm world that they are a very poor design. Yes they can be little buggers at times but when they are running well you always have a smile on your face.

Last Sunday I was at a small steam up and I told I guy that I was building a mss kit and improving it. I was then told that the best thing that I could do was buy a second hand roundhouse basic loco (at £400 pounds I don't think so).

Many people know entering the hobby at my age just simply buy a basic roundhouse or other engines. I picked a mss as they are fun and I could customise it to what I want it to be.

Also having it very own sub forum I feel is a credit to the locos charm and design.
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake