Thomas Telford Locomotive - Take Two

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:50 pm

I would think Steam4fun get the door from Roundhouse, along with some other things.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:21 pm

Certainly possible Dan.

Comparing my oscillating Thomas Telford smoke box door with an old Millie smoke box & door in my bits box, the Roundhouse one is a sharper casting.

So could be just that the quality of castings has dropped slightly, the mould is showing its age, or Simon has made his own moulds from the Roundhouse originals. Had the impression that he did or had his own castings made.

Difficult to see any real differences in the traverser jack castings between Roundhouse & Steam4Fun.

Chris Cairns

mikewakefielduk@btinterne
Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:15 pm

I take back what I said previously about the Telford being on the small side. If you've read the chatter on the 16mmngm group about the new Accucraft Decauville 0-4-0 and then read up on the details, especially the dimensions, the Telford isn't too small at all to appeal to the Garden Rail community.

Now I don't know the exact dimensions of the Telford when Mamod finally launch it but the original Telford's dimensions were:

length: 11" (280mm)
width: 4.625" (120mm)
height: 5.5" (140mm)

and the dimensions of the new Accucraft Decauville are:
length: 8" (213.5mm) excluding buffers, 265mm with buffers
width: 3.5" (89.7mm)
height: 5.375" (138.3mm)

Mike

Boustrophedon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Boustrophedon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:33 pm

What's the working pressure of the boiler on the Telford.

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:57 pm

40 psi

Boustrophedon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Boustrophedon » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:47 pm

I won't be buying one if it has a plastic sight glass then.

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:21 pm

Here's the Telford finally tamed to run around the challenging loop part of my garden line (gradients and tight curves) without any manual intervention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWu5sw-URyw

I cobbled together an inertia flywheel device made from a Zecar toy from Amazon fitted with Accucraft wagon wheels. It holds the Telford back when it wants to race away downhill and gives it a shove when it wants to stall coming uphill.

I think the Telford is currently a little underpowered for tracks like mine that aren't dead level but I understand Mamod are looking at this and considering larger cylinders. Some of you may recollect the early Accucraft Ruby had exactly the same problem and was transformed when 1/2 inch cylinders were fitted in place of the original 3/8 inch. (There was at least one other Accucraft model that was also later fitted with larger cylinders - was it the Excelsior?)

As for plastic sight glasses, I've never had a problem with them.