The Mamod Royal Family of Steam Locomotives.

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 am

Chris Cairns:81603 wrote:Harry the Rocket uses the same size gas tank as the Mark I/Mark II/Saddle tank locomotives. However look at the price of gas tanks on their website - http://www.mamod.co.uk/product-category ... ccessories - £62!

Not actually checked the thread on the Mamod tank (probably 1/4" x 26 BSF) but I'm sure it is not compatible with the Bix 8 x 1 mm thread or the RWM one (not sure if that is 1/4" x 32 TPI or 1/4" x 40 TPI).

What is leaking on your gas tank - the refill valve (normally a new 'O' ring fixes that), the gas valve (again a new 'O' ring would fix that) or the gas pipe coupling (yet again another 'O' should fix that).

Chris Cairns.
if Im remembering correctly the leak is along one of the tank seams
Ill have to check sometime
A steam propelled life-style.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:09 pm

Mamod now have a Facebook Page and are posting a history of their range, etc. and including the original full size photos from which those very small thumbnails were made for their old website. So here is the large photo of the "Harry the Rocket".

So looks like a traction engine/steam roller boiler with a functional steam dome, and a blanking plug in the rear boiler insert. We have assumed that it had 2 oscillating cylinders fitted, but of course there is no available photo of the other side so it could just be a single cylinder. I've asked Mamod on Facebook if this pre-production prototype still exists but no reply so far.

Chris Cairns.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Forest Classics had this prototype at the GDSF several years ago now - it had just the one cylinder!
Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:37 pm

steamyjim:90293 wrote:Forest Classics had this prototype at the GDSF several years ago now - it had just the one cylinder!
Crazy
A steam propelled life-style.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks for that information Jim. Geographically it is not possible for me to visit the GDSF.

I assume this prototype is now in someone's collection. I wonder how it ran, and why they changed to a drive belt version instead?

Chris Cairns.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Chris Cairns:90310 wrote:Thanks for that information Jim. Geographically it is not possible for me to visit the GDSF.

I assume this prototype is now in someone's collection. I wonder how it ran, and why they changed to a drive belt version instead?

Chris Cairns.
They had the engine on loan from Mamod to exhibit the new model - don't know what happened to it though.

I wouldn't have thought it ran very well to be honest!
Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA