From MSS to "Ofario"

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

From MSS to "Ofario"

Post by laurence703 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Whilst I sit here waiting for yet more paint to dry on "Ofario" I thought I'd document the little loco's history from when I acquired it to the present moment in time...

Having just sold my Juliet (3.5" 0-4-0 steam loco) due to constant frustration and the growing dislike of the M.E.S I was a member of, I decided that it was finally time to buy a Mamod. I had wanted one for years after discovering that wondrous railway in the garden, could in effect, one day be mine to enjoy. So a look on Ebay came up with a Maroon MSS loco, tender and a good amount of track and at a good price! (£230 in fact) The loco was bought as a present for someone who steamed it once and left it in the corner to slumber feeling unwanted... Until it arrived at my house. I couldn't run it for the first few days due to the appalling weather and when it was first run it sputtered and wheezed... it hadn't been run in by any means... so a few more sessions of running and it started to free up and eventually it ran like a dream!

As New
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM_0jkpl ... ature=plcp
Just run in and its first proper run.

Not long after it had been run in, I started thinking about the possibility of making the loco Remote Controlled using a bell crank arrangement with a little reversing lever in the cab.

At the same time the loco was turned into a permanent tender loco by using a brass bolt and a spring. This worked quite well and was kept. The bell crank however was disposed of as I hadn't made it right and the other materials used simply weren't up to the job... it was simply a bodge job to see if it could be done.

After seeing a rather nice example of a half cabbed tender on the forums (Built by Peter Jones I think?) the inspiration was there to do the same to my tender... again this was a bit of a bodge making the most of what I had to hand... I really need a workshop... Anyway parts were brought in and it was modified.

Looking back on it, I really shouldn't have used cardboard in the tender as it eventually went soggy...

Now the tender and loco had been butchered, the paint was beginning to show signs of my heavy handed nature with spanners from fitting a regulator, uprated safety valve, water top up and a meths burner, so it was decided to bite the bullet and paint it green. I had some Humbrol enamel gloss No.3 left over from the Juliet as it was used to touch up the paint from yet more heavy handedness... the loco came out absolutely perfect with no runs whatsoever, the tender on the other hand looked like it had rolled in sand and then been painted on...

So after a short while of putting up with the tender's sandpaper paint job, during this time a new chimney was fitted, I attempted to repaint it thinking another coat would cover it... it actually made it worse... So at this point it was decided to ditch the tender for the time being and convert "Ofario" back to a tank engine but this time with a cut down cab and a complete pair of centre buffers.

It was also decided at this stage to paint the smokebox and boiler into matt black.

After some more running it was found that the meths burner seemed a bit small... so the hunt had begun for a new bigger burner... This caused much stress and annoyance as I bought one only for it to never turn up and £25 that I never had got back... It was not until Gremlin had got in contact with me to let me know he was doing another batch of his brilliant burners, that I bought one... and what a difference! it ran for much longer than it did previously on the standard meths burner and the extra weight seemed to have given it a tad more power.

After taking it to the CVLR and giving it a proper good thrash, I got it home and left it in its box for a few weeks not knowing that the wheels were finally giving up the ghost and had started to come loose on their axles... An order was placed with Roy Wood Models who was fantastic and had the new wheels and a set of his reshaped rods to me very quickly and for a good price (£32!) The wheels were painted in the same Green as the rest of the loco and the rims were painted black. whilst this was going on, I removed the old wheels and rods. whilst given the chance, I cleaned the frames. Now it was a bit of a sod to fit the wheels as the bearings were slightly too large to fit in the frames so the holes were opened up slightly and the wheels pushed in, needless to say I had ruined the paint on the wheels doing this, after they were fitted the rods went on and the crank pins shortened. I have yet to steam "Ofario" in its current state as I won't get the chance until I take it to Leighton Buzzard narrow gauge railway's Great Slate Quarry fest this Saturday. But here's a photo of it in its current state.

Next things on the list will be the coal bunker which I will be getting this weekend Via Doug... this will mean making the meths burner intake pipe longer to poke out the top of the bunker... Fingers crossed it'll work!
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:24 pm

Well done Laurence, and like my loco, it has gone several progressions over time.

The small IP type burners have a low capacity and with the huge open hole the potential for fires and spills.  I was eyeing this type and buying one, but ended up with the vintange twin tank Shirley burner. I fear it may have more capacity than the boiler tho! :shock:
Last edited by Spule 4 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Young, feisty, Mamod-lovin', upgradin' tinkerin' Mamod drivers  8)

We are Mamodry. We are multiplying. We are learning how to get the best out of this supposedly troublesome design [and still conducting experiments!!]. We do not forget. Expect us.

Excellent work on Ofario, the wheels definitely look great as advised. :)

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:40 am

I like Ofario best with the tender cab fitted, it somehow makes him look like a very serious and businesslike loco indeed.

I sneaked a look at some of your other videos Laurence and the 'Little Tom at Chesterfield MES' video is delightful. You're going to have to tell me more about that wee blue engine because I'd love to have one just like it :)
What has Reality done for you lately?

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 am

Very impressive stuff, always interesting to see a loco evolving from an out of the box loco to one that is unique.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Lawrence,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with modifying an MSS side tank loco.

I like the cut down cab back but how does this get supported?

The standard cab back has 2 tabs that fit into the cab floor and a cut-out at the top which is held by the slotted spring clip on the cab roof. I assume that your extended buffer plates must be holding the cut down cab back up somehow.

The original Mike Chaney meths burners, which IP Engineering, PPS & Dream Steam copied were designed so that the meths runs out before the water in the boiler. Increasing the capacity of these burners means you need to keep a closer eye on the boiler water levels (which of course a cut down cab back makes a lot easier to achieve). Also be careful with extending the filler pipe as you can overflow the burner tubes with a resultant fireball on start up (I always lit up/warm up my locos in a tray prior to running them on a track).

These burners were also originally fitted with a filler cap or vented bung, but these got lost easily so most 2nd hand burners have lost them. The other problem with most meths burners (and gas burners as well) is the wings that are provided (gas burners have none) forward of the tank do not go right up to the boiler surface and are not shaped to the boiler's curvatures. So any wind, or a steam leak, is enough to fan the flames into the cab causing the famous fireballs, and if you are also unlucky melting the plastic sight 'glass'.

I have an MGM Engineering meths burner which was provided with 2 shaped wings to slide into the chassis, although it needs some of the ceramic wick to 'seal' the burner tubes better to stop the meths overflowing when I fill it up.

Chris Cairns.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Thank you for all the nice comments about my loco :)
Today "Ofario" ventured deep into Wolverton Works and during my lunch break, the meths burner intake pipe was significantly changed by first shortening it, then making it longer! So that it will sit inside of the bunker and not be as prominent as it as at the moment.

Annie: Little Tom is in fact a 7.25" steam outline battery loco built by compass house. I borrowed it from a friend to have a play with it.
http://www.compass-house.co.uk/frames.htm go to Battery locos then 7 1/4" and its the top one.

Chris:
The half cab back isn't actually held in place by anything substantial really, all I've done is to bend the tabs back a bit to avoid the burner's second tank and to ever so slightly bend one of the sides where the hand rails are into the cab a little bit so that it sits on the footplate.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Laurence, Chris, et al-

For Janmod, I cut back the cab rear the same, but made a second set of holes above the buffer holes in the larger buffer beam. Then drilled these holes in the cab back, keeping the tangs/tabs for location purposes.  

The assembly order is bolt -> buffer beam -> two washers (spacers) -> cab back -> nut.  I have gone to using BA hex head bolts, better looking than cheese head screws, albeit still not prototypical.

The Sidestreet/West Lawn burner from the 1980s had a longer neck, but with an internal overvlow.  Imagine a "j" shaped tube that drains out the side of the burner that ends just before the top, so if one overfills, it dribbles out the back...on the track.  Not the best option, but atleast away from the "flamey end". :D  

Interesting bit of burner history there Chris.  A shame some of the more inovative burner types did not "make it" for continued production.  :(
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 pm

The finished article... complete with coal bunker, coal and the obligatory large spanner in the coal space. It could use another coat of paint but for the time being I'm happy with it. :)

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:31 am

laurence703:74725 wrote:
Annie: Little Tom is in fact a 7.25" steam outline battery loco built by compass house. I borrowed it from a friend to have a play with it.
http://www.compass-house.co.uk/frames.htm go to Battery locos then 7 1/4" and its the top one.
Thanks for the information Laurence :) I don't think I can afford to buy a Compass House one, but I do want to have a go at building a 7.25 gauge battery loco as there is an extensive ground level line not far from where I live.

Back on subject, - your new bunker looks good and finishes off your loco nicely.
What has Reality done for you lately?

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Finally got around to taking a better photo of the bunker and its new dome cover supplied by Dougrail :)

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:30 pm

A proper looking little Mamod. :D Well done!
Garrett

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Suits it very well ;)

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Been a while since I updated the Story of Ofario...

Since my last update Ofario has been in and out of the workshop with little odds and sods that needed doing.
Since the Coal bunker were added I have changed how it sits on the loco by bending a few bits of Meccano to act as supports inside the bunker.

This is an up to date photo showing the New lubricator and Super boiler installed about a week ago...The two bits of Meccano are sandwiched between the buffer beam and drag beam.

Ofario also gained a set of Nameplates from Narrowplanet.

Again this is an up to date photo showing the Cylinder covers (Thanks Greg!) that will be fitted soon following today's successful test steaming.

The last major upgrade would be the uprated Cylinders which were acquired in a trade with Greg (Cheers!) for my 45mm cylinders.

Here's a Video of today's test steaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVLL1GqN ... e=youtu.be

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:23 pm

This is looking very smart now, excellent work

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Is ofario fitted with a chuffer? She sounds great! I like your regulator, is it homemade?
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Ofario hasn't got a Chuffer no... that's all Bark and its not even working hard!

The Reg came off another loco but the handle is just a piece of squashed Meccano

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:49 pm

Did you do any mods to the exhaust pipe laurance to get that chuff?
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Nope... Its just a standard pipe... only thing I've ever done to it was to bend it slightly so it points up the chimney.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:59 pm

Lner fan Sam:79383 wrote:Did you do any mods to the exhaust pipe laurance to get that chuff?
The mod that Laurence has done is very simular to Brit....if you see any vids of Brit running you will hear that it has quite a loud and distinctive voice to it. By placing the exhaust to blast directly up the chimney you have effectively created a Blast Pipe, which is what 1:1 scale locos have anyway. It sounds far nicer than any chuff pipe sounds.