Merlin Locomotive Works - Mamod Loco Information

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Merlin Locomotive Works - Mamod Loco Information

Post by Superbiker_uk » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:23 am

Here is the information (all circa 1985) supplied with the Merlin Radio Control Kit

Image Image

Image Image

Merlin catalogue scan of Mamod Information

Merlin Gas Burner

Image Image
Last edited by Superbiker_uk on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:55 am

Excellent stuff ~ one for the "Reference Library" Mr. Mods??????

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:12 pm

Thank you for posting this, it has pointed me in what I believe to be the right direction :)
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:30 pm

If you ever need to replace the o-rings on the control needle of the Merlin gas burner tank you need some of these o-rings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370859623567

3mm ID 1mm C/S

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:23 pm

Over on the other forum was it not a Moderator that had a close call when his Merlin gas valve unscrewed completely out with the burner already alight?

Chris Cairns.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:15 am

Chris Cairns:91108 wrote:Over on the other forum was it not a Moderator that had a close call when his Merlin gas valve unscrewed completely out with the burner already alight?
Yes that is correct. I think the gas jet was blocked and the operator carried on opening the valve and had a little accident. In use you do not need to open the valve more than one complete turn - the control is not very fine on these burners.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Finally found the Topics in myfreeforums after struggling with their search facility.

Merlin Gas Burner Warning - Another discussion had the flame length at 3', but this original one had it at 6' and a fair list of injuries sustained - http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/ftopi ... -asc-0.php

Improving a Merlin Gas Burner - Here Tony Bird discusses replacing the original bronze mesh with nikchrome mesh to improve the radiant performance of the burner - http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/ftopi ... -asc-0.php

Nikchrome mesh is difficult to get a hold of in the UK so I used Stainless Steel mesh instead, and the improvement is very good.

Chris Cairns.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks for the Merlin info, Superbiker. The safety warnings are well received too - I have a loco on my books with a Merlin gas burner at the moment, maximum I open the gas is 120 degrees. I lined a redline on the dial so I know how far open it is.