Finally joined the Mamod club.....

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:20 pm

I'll be watching this one aswell! Loving the very Heywood conversion! Am I right in saying you're making a Heywood Katie?
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:34 pm

laurence703:62660 wrote:Am I right in saying you're making a Heywood Katie?
You are nearly right! In 1894, two years before Heywood built Katie for Eaton Hall, he was approached by the agent of the Squire of Waterfield Hall and asked to supply a locomotive and various items of rolling stock for the line they were building around the estate. Now the Squire of Waterfield was a resourcefull chap and was keen to build the line himself so Heywood was only asked to build certain Items. The remaining rolling stock was sourced from a variety of manufacturers and some goods stock (and eventually a petrol loco) was built by the estate sawmill/blacksmith under the watchfull eye of George Hale the railway manager.
The loco I'm modelling is 'Maud' as supplied by Heywood, she was very similar to Katie but with a slightly smaller boiler and was named after Mrs Foster the Squire's  favourite Aunt.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Ah! This is a loco I am not familiar with! I take it 'Maud' was 15" and probably long forgotten and scraped? :/

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:49 pm

Yes 15" and scrapped in 1947, strange that it never got a mention in Smither's book........... ;)

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Well learn something new everyday! I'll ask around and see if anyone can dig up some more information for you :)

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Pendo Pilot:62638 wrote:
jez kirkwood:62625 wrote:Just ordered meths burner, water top up, uprated safety and regulator  :D
Isn't this always how mamod fever starts? Next will be boiler upgrade & next thing you will be in the help me section asking why your uprated pistons have blown apart.  :twisted:

Bloody addictive though & that one is looking superb. Theres just something about mamods, love them or loathe them. I have 3 RH & 2 accy steamers & yet every now & then I gas up (yes more mamod fever mods) the thing & just see if the wind / thermal conditions / lunar alignment are good for the best mamod run ever! Usually followed by a few hours in my shed staring at it, willing it to actually work!   :twisted:
One day mine will steam freely, it has proved it will do good with enough psi!
I personally believe that Mamod/Janets run on small psionic-phase drives...when the driver's happy, it fuels the engine. When he's moody or anxious, it translates across to the engine as well. Daft? 8)

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:33 pm

dougrail:62710 wrote:
Pendo Pilot:62638 wrote:
jez kirkwood:62625 wrote:Just ordered meths burner, water top up, uprated safety and regulator  :D
Isn't this always how mamod fever starts? Next will be boiler upgrade & next thing you will be in the help me section asking why your uprated pistons have blown apart.  :twisted:

Bloody addictive though & that one is looking superb. Theres just something about mamods, love them or loathe them. I have 3 RH & 2 accy steamers & yet every now & then I gas up (yes more mamod fever mods) the thing & just see if the wind / thermal conditions / lunar alignment are good for the best mamod run ever! Usually followed by a few hours in my shed staring at it, willing it to actually work!   :twisted:
One day mine will steam freely, it has proved it will do good with enough psi!
I personally believe that Mamod/Janets run on small psionic-phase drives...when the driver's happy, it fuels the engine. When he's moody or anxious, it translates across to the engine as well. Daft? 8)
Nope, that's never worked with me :lol:

It's always been the other way round! :lol:

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:00 am

Latest progress - started cutting out the new footplate, still got a lot of filing to do! This is cut from 3mm steel plate which should give a bit of extra weight...

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:20 am

What is actually -left- of the original engine? :lol:

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:35 pm

OK so the beast runs!!!!!!
Still got lots of work to do, but here's a short vid of her doing a circuit of the garden this afternoon. Off like a rocket at the start then she slows to a halt on the baloon loop.........only to start off all by herself just as I walk accross...........
I have had her running slower....honest!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=882tQYry ... er&list=UL

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Hmmm......

The penny's just dropped about Maud Foster. Lived between High Ferry and Grand Sluice, didn't she?

:lol:
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:45 pm

:sign5:

By way of explanation - I grew up in Lincolnshire...

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Confused I googled it and came up with a windmill.

She works well on the video great engineering. :D

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:64194 wrote:Confused I googled it and came up with a windmill.
You are closer than you realise!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:01 pm

Maud Foster is a windmill which forms part of the drainage and reclaimation works near Boston, Lincs.. There were quite a few more down in the Parts of Holland down around Spalding. Maud Foster was also a signalbox on the GNR I cannot remember whether it was on the Boston-Lincoln line or the East Lincolnshire Railway. The latter I think. There is also a place called Mavis Enderby in that neck of the woods and we will draw a discrete veil over Hannah-cum-Hagnaby!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:27 am

ahh got it now, I just didn't have the local knowledge :D

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 am

Well it's over a year since I posted anything on this thread - for most of that time Maud has sat on the shelf above my workbench. A few weeks ago however my nine year old decided that she would like to spend some time in the workshop with me learning to use some of the tools etc. We needed a project to work on and Maud was an obvious choice. We changed the original plan slightly and used more of the original Mamod parts. Maud is nearly finished, just a few more details to add so here's a couple of pics......

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40 am

That's looking great.

Interesting to see that you still have a riveted boiler back plate, obviously been very lucky not to have had a sight glass plastic failure yet.

Chris Cairns.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Nice work! I like that :)

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:25 am

Well done!! Always liked Haywood-esque locos!
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."