Finally joined the Mamod club.....

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:26 pm

It's nice to meet forum members 'in the flesh' form time to time and I've just got in from Llanfair show where I've been exhibiting 'Waterfield Hall' anyway on Saturday I met Dannypenguin - who only lives a couple of miles from me..... and later in the afternoon a young chap carrying a mamod under one arm was talking to Rob Bennett and I recognized the loco from the forum and had to have a photo of it posed outside the Waterfield Hall loco shed with Maud - nice to meet you Doug!

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:37 pm

And here comes the sequel - I was tootling around the Llanfair show, originally hoping to be able to run Swordbreaker as I did at Peterborough. Sadly this wasn't to happen, although I was able to secure a new [in the post] brass regulator/water topup turret bonnet and was allowed to test out an array of Roundhouse domes in the vain that one would sit snugly on the boiler about the safety valve [haviing decided to swap the water topup and the SV around].

In short, the engine become the proverbial parrot on this buccaneer's shoulder [sold me brake van, har har] and when I ran into Jez and his layout, introductions were made. Quite a pleasant surprise finally seeing this unique engine in the steel too :)

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 am

Heywood???? more Emett or Barnfield....very good

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Have you got a photo of the actual layout at all?

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Looks good!

I miss my Mamod.

All its joys and frustrations.

And pyromancy

:(

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:49 pm

I did actually remember the camera this time! so got quite a few pics of the layout but I'll start another thread in the right place......

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:34 pm

This week I've been doing a couple of jobs on Maud, I was never entirely happy with the dome/safety valve cover so decided to make a new one. I've also added Bob the driver from a Busybodies/Modelearth kit. As you can see Bob, like the Heywood drivers on the Ratty, is leaning on the back rail smoking his pipe waiting patiently for the boiler pressure to catch up!! We also weathered the loco a little. It still needs a reversing lever in the cab and some filler caps for the water tanks.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Lovely thing, I do like the regulator. How is the garden railway going?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:52 pm

To be honest the garden railway is mostly buried under magnolia leaves at the moment......... we have also decided to take out a very large evergreen in one corner of the garden over the winter and this might lead to us rebuilding one end of the line? Just not sure how it's going to look with the tree gone. I am however planning a Mamod running session sometime before Christmas (and maybe a quick steam up Christmas afternoon)......................