IP Eng Boiler in a Mamod Loco

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

IP Eng Boiler in a Mamod Loco

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:20 pm

Just been going through some postings on a Mamod Railway Yahoo group, and came across this photo of an IP Eng boiler in a SL3 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/51032247@N ... otostream/

Hopefully of some interest to our Mamod modifying members.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:15 pm

I like the IP lubricator in the cab ;)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:18 pm

But from his postings on the Yahoo group it does not work.

The one I have fitted to Loco No.7 also does not seem to work either and I've just been considering if the problem lies in the small size of the pipe that is being used for this lubricator. Whilst the steam pipe is 1/8", the pipe into the lubricator is smaller and I think when it has been bent by IP Eng, followed by more bending to get it to fit, then there is virtually no space left for the thick oil to travel down.

So I am going to try fitting 1/8" pipe into this lubricator to see if it will make a difference. But not right away as I have 5 more locos in the workshop first queue first.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:12 pm

Personaly I prefer the roundhouse lubricator to the IP one, I have an IP one at the moment unused and I think thats the way its going to stay.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:29 pm

When I bought Loco No.7 at STIA in 2005, as it is fitted with 'O' ring pistons and has a meths burner, the trader advised me to get a lubricator. So I ended up buying 2 of the IP Eng lubricators as they were on display at another steam venue and of course sold as 'For fitting to Mamods'.

I had not heard of the Roundhouse lubricator then, and of course it is not on the 'Fit to Mamods' displays either.

So that is why Forums like this one are great for passing on knowledge and experience.

Of course it is a Roundhouse Lubricator that was used in the IP Jane, and probably the PPS Janet as well, but you are not told that when you buy these locos. The ones fitted to my Cheddar Models engines are a similar design to the Roundhouse one as well.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:33 pm

I bought my first one from IP but have never fited It. I didnt like the design after recieving it so still in packing :?

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:18 pm

I shall have to have a go at making my own displacement lubricators, save me a couple of quid :lol:

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:31 pm

steamyjim wrote:I shall have to have a go at making my own displacement lubricators, save me a couple of quid :lol:
GRRRR, I am jealous, my engineer grandad is dead!!! And I cant afford machinery like that!