Improving Mamod & MSS Performance

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Abiogenesis
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Improving Mamod & MSS Performance

Post by Abiogenesis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:55 pm

My green loco retains its original cylinders/pistons & I fitted the RWM displacement lubricator together with the SV & regulator. The 460 grade steam oil seals the clearance space better than 3 in 1 oil. Steam oil has improved the performance of my Mamod SR1 steam roller that I purchased in 1962. I have a Hornby 3.5" gauge G100 Stephenson's "Rocket". Gearbox 80 oil was originally recommended for cylinder lubrication, but steam oil is better for that as well. If you are a member of the https://www.16mm.org.uk/ your local group will likely have members who would be willing to help you with a boiler insert.

My local group is West Herts.

JULY 14TH, 2018
WHAG’s Steam-up for
16mm Association Members at
Brambleton MRC. Harpenden
The West Herts Group invite members only of the
16mm Association to join us for an All-day Steam-up on
the Brambleton Model Railway Club’s extensive outdoor
32mm lines in Harpenden Hertfordshire

http://www.brambleton.co.uk/

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:55 pm

A lubricator's looking more and more like a good idea then...

Many thanks - and also for the prompt to join the Association, which. I have now done!

I can't promise rapid developments, but hopefully there will be some to report some time.

Abiogenesis
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Abiogenesis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:53 pm

Marvellous. A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step. :study:

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:12 pm

The lubricator installation instructions say "If the smokebox is not riveted...".

Mine is riveted. Is it a case of drilling out the rivet and replacing with a suitably-sized self-tapping screw?

(I do love the way that the cottage-industry nature of garden railway supply* keeps coming through in the supplied instructions, which never seem to relate exactly to the product actually supplied or to be modified!)

*other than live steam locomotives themselves.

Abiogenesis
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Abiogenesis » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 pm

Yes, gently drill out the rivets perpendicular to the boiler. It's an empty space in there. Self tappers will be necessary to secure the oil reservoir to the smoke box. I just stuck a length of copper wire through the holes & bent down the ends, on the basis that I'll always be tinkering & my reservoir is in the cab.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:04 am

Did you continue to fettle your Mamod? Did the Isopropanol help?

I've an SL1. New boiler, upgraded safety valves, meths burner. But the performance is lack luster at best. I won't do a loop of my fairly flat track. Part of me wants to get it working, but also it's already cost me quite a lot of money to not really get anywhere.

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:41 pm

sjrixon wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:04 am Did you continue to fettle your Mamod?
Confession time: not yet. To be honest I've barely done anything with the garden railway in the last year and more. That said, I did have friends round on a couple of afternoons and I have to say I must have got lucky with my SL3: it's a rather good performer (although I don't load it up much). The real transformation was when I replaced the wheelsets with new from RWM - the original wheels had come loose on the axles so I suppose it's little surprise!
You can see some recent pictures of it - unchanged! - in the Garden Railway Inspection thread. (I'm sure you'll spot that I saved time by not steaming. Cheating, eh?)
Never say never, though! I still fancy stripping, repainting and fitting a lubricator... no idea when it'll happen, though.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm going to have another crack in the summer at getting mine to run better....

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:56 pm

sjrixon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm I'm going to have another crack in the summer at getting mine to run better....
I hope you'll report on the results here! One day I hope to do the same...