And so it begins

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

And so it begins

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:13 am

My wife bought me this set tonight, complete and looks to be unused. Should have it in a few days. Still hoping to make enough selling some unused items to also get a Chedder Iver off a member here. I will be looking for more Mamod track, mostly straight sections, but will need 3 turnouts if I am to recreate my 45mm gauge line in 32mm gauge. I plan to put down a treated wood underlayment to support the cast Mamod track. I know that Peco is better, but for some reason, I always like the look of the Mamod track. I wish I still had my copy of an article on James Slaters raised garden railway that used that track. Always loved his little line. Plenty of time for some upgrades, spring thaw is still well over 2 months away for us. A meths burner and some detailing parts are planned from DS, and an uprated safety valve from a local source here in the states. I want to find 3 of the older passenger cars with one to become a special "Autism Awareness" car. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:59 am

What a lovely present from your wife! :D
What has Reality done for you lately?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:23 pm

That brings back memories!

I spent 18 months doing a paper round as a young teenager to buy one of those! Well, the version with the goods and guards vans actually, but the box was the same... The two vans are still in regular service, but the loco hasn't run for several years now - one day...

Congratulations on both your new Mamod and your generous wife!

With very best wishes,

Andrew.

Boustrophedon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Boustrophedon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:38 pm

Mamod loco's are very instructive.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:25 am

Maybe my progress will get you to dust off your engine and get him running again. I had the set you had years ago, mine was a maroon version with the brass chimney and the two vans. I am looking for a van to make a special Autism Awareness car out of with some custom decals. Only one stateside so far he wants $60 for, a bit steep but I may have to get it anyways. Mike

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:22 pm

FedEx dropped off my set today, I picked it up at lunch and took it back to where I work and we steamed up the engine on my workbench this afternoon. Despite the tarnish, everything moved freely. I oiled up the engine, added some water, split one of the stinky tablets in two and we fired her up. Shes steamed easily, smoothly and was able to be throttled down to a crawling speed while up on blocks, no steam leaks were seen anywhere. Next test will be on the track. She had been steamed, twice if I go by how many tablets were gone before I used up one. I am extremely pleased! Now its time to plan future upgrades and later this spring start buying more track. I am guessing by the hog ring round style couplers, this is an early SL1? Mike