Gas tender

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Arthur Sleep
Cleaner
Cleaner

Gas tender

Post by Arthur Sleep » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:27 pm

Since there are tenders for mamods, and gas burners, has anyone made a tender for the canister, so there is more space on the footplate?
So the cannister would trail behind the engine on wheels?
Next train's gone

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:41 pm

You could do that. The reason gas tanks are often located somewhere on the locomotive is that the butane will boil better when the tank is kept warm, as it is on the footplate near the boiler. If you put the tank in a tender, you may have trouble with burner performance in cool weather. Some manufacturers of tender locomotives situate the gas tank in a bath of warm water in the tender.

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:46 pm

ive also seen engines with the steam pipe go round the tender gas tank before it goes through a superheater and eventually to the cylinders, of course the longer the steam pipe the greater the time it takes for the engine to move when the regulator is moved
Steam is highly under rated

Arthur Sleep
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Arthur Sleep » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:36 pm

OK and thanks for the information
Next train's gone

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:51 am

If however you take something like the Hornby 3 1/2 inch gauge Stephenson's Rocket the gas tank is well and truly in the "tender/wagon" with no form of external heating and this works very well. So yes, it's been done at a commercial level.

Hope this helps
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:32 am

Apologies for the late entry here!

Arthur, in short yes the gas tank in a tender works. I have recently rebuilt my locomotive 'Titan' into using a swift sixteen tender from a MSS one (for proportion reasons). The gas tank has always lived in a tender in this loco and I have never had any issues with steaming it. The point is that when you have a larger loco that has a higher gas consumption, that use of a higher quantity of gas causes it to freeze. With an mamod/mss derived loco the gas consumption is so low that you'll struggle to stop it blowing off and therefore hardly uses the gas quick enough to freeze. I can never seem to turn Titan's gas down enough!

This image shows prior to rebuild and clearly shows that the gas tank couldn't be further from the loco.

YouTube ChannelImage

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:37 am

One thing you must do however is use a good quality hose / pipe to bridge the gap between loco and tender and make it so it doesn't come apart easily otherwise it will quite literally go up in flames.
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:13 pm

slightly off topic but am i right in saying the new roundhouse garret has a separate gas tank away from the boiler?
Steam is highly under rated

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:49 am

Gas tank on the Darj D is in the rear bunker.
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:58 pm

It goes without saying you need a decent gas pipe. I use a silicone braided type, as you see in my image. It's a bloody tight fit over 1/8" pipe nipples so requires no clamp.

Gas tank on the Darj D has the exhaust pipe from the rear engine unit coiled under it to slightly warm it, works well.
YouTube ChannelImage