Bridges of the Sandstone & Termite

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Bridges of the Sandstone & Termite

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:07 pm

The viaduct is a superb piece of engineering and you have every reason to be proud of it, congratulations. As others have said, the scaffold is also inspiring and I am about to continue to build my ruined castle which I started years ago and then became sidetracked. The scaffold will enable me to show collapsed walls undergoing some consolidation. I can have site offices for the builders, and supplies of materials on site to complete the picture. You have inspired me, although it will be several months until the weather improves enough for anything to take shape..... thanks Greg!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Another great installment, Greg. Your viaduct is truly impressive. I especially like the way you have capitalised on cracks in the structure with the scaffolding. Nice touch.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:48 pm

I can only agree with all the comments made. Superb stuff Greg. Absolutely superb.
Ian

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 am

MANY thanks to everyone for their nice comments. I really appreciate them.
philipy wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:31 am Greg, Just thinking, shouldn't you have some speed restriction notices around that crack & hump? :roll: :lol:
Absolutely there should be speed restrictions! I'll see to it!
I have had ideas for a long time now that the site should have a track work gang with an animated figure who moves off the track and waves a flag, detonator sounds as a train approaches etc. But that will need infrared train detectors etc.

Anyone else have ideas to take up my time? :D
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:59 am

gregh wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 am MANY thanks to everyone for their nice comments. I really appreciate them.

I have had ideas for a long time now that the site should have a track work gang with an animated figure who moves off the track and waves a flag, detonator sounds as a train approaches etc. But that will need infrared train detectors etc.

Anyone else have ideas to take up my time? :D
Not just at the moment Greg…..Let me think… :idea: :idea: s… :) :)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 am

gregh wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 am Anyone else have ideas to take up my time? :D
A hoist or crane for materials, a cement mixer, a smith welding steel bracing....?

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.... :)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:46 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 am If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.... :)
Rik
Gee, thanks Rik.

Wandering off topic, the suggestion for a speed restriction got me thinking about warning boards. My line is supposed to be in the 1950s and I wonder what kind of signs they used then and were they lit at all? Would they have used kerosene lamps like this? White or red lens?
old road warning lamp.jpg
old road warning lamp.jpg (11.66 KiB) Viewed 7289 times
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:19 am

In the UK in the 1950s, a yellow (green prior to 1949) arrow sign <==< sign about the size of a distant arm with two yellow oil lights placed at braking distance, then a 'C' lollipop board at the Commencement of the restriction, and an 'T' lollipop board at its Terminus. The only help on speed in those days was a number under the arrow sign saying something like '15' giving the speed through the PW restriction which I think was an LMR refinement inherited from the old LNWR. This was replace by the ubiquitous illuminated blue sign c.1970 with a speed limit when reliable battery lamps became available, though the warning at braking distance remains the yellow arrow sign, these days with two white lamps.

Interestingly, although things have moved on in the UK, the Isle of Man Railway - which is what I know best - still uses the old C and T convention with all PW slacks being regarded at 10 mph.

Peter in Va
Last edited by IrishPeter on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:05 am

gregh wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:46 am
ge_rik wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 am If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.... :)
Rik
Gee, thanks Rik.

Wandering off topic, the suggestion for a speed restriction got me thinking about warning boards. My line is supposed to be in the 1950s and I wonder what kind of signs they used then and were they lit at all? Would they have used kerosene lamps like this? White or red lens?
old road warning lamp.jpg
That picture looks like a British "road menders lamp", i.e the kind they used as warnings around holes in the road back in the 40's, 50's and 60's before the advent of battery powered lamps. No reason why a NG line shouldn't have acquired them, off the shelf, for a similar purpose, of course.
Philip

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:38 am

philipy wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:05 am That picture looks like a British "road menders lamp", i.e the kind they used as warnings around holes in the road back in the 40's, 50's and 60's before the advent of battery powered lamps. No reason why a NG line shouldn't have acquired them, off the shelf, for a similar purpose, of course.
That's what I remember them from - roads. And your 'rationalisation' for their use sounds good to me.
Thanks Irish Peter for the idea of yellow lamp - I guess red would really mean Stop. This is the sign I'll use.
Not sure where to put the lamp yet.
10 speed warning sign.jpg
10 speed warning sign.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 7278 times
Greg from downunder.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:56 pm

What is the ordinary line speed limit on the Sandstone and Termite? If it is something like 25mph (40km/h) then I think the Inspectorate would let you get away with a warning board and one or two road type warning lamps at the commence of the restriction. Over 25mph, then some sort of advanced warning would be required - probably something sophisticated like a yellow flag jammed in the ground next to the track with a yellow lamp by it for night running.

I really like your bridge work! I would never have though about tomato sticks as a source of wood for trestlework!

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:45 pm

IrishPeter wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:56 pm What is the ordinary line speed limit on the Sandstone and Termite? If it is something like 25mph (40km/h) then I think the Inspectorate would let you get away with a warning board and one or two road type warning lamps at the commence of the restriction. Over 25mph, then some sort of advanced warning would be required - probably something sophisticated like a yellow flag jammed in the ground next to the track with a yellow lamp by it for night running.
I've never thought about whether the SaTR has a speed limit. But when I'm choosing battery voltages I usually choose the number of cells to give around 30mph max - except for my one 'express' loco which can do 50mph! But I do like your idea of a sophisticated yellow flag. :lol:

Now to do some thinking about how to make a scale cement mixer and some of those red warning lamps.
Greg from downunder.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:11 am

gregh wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Now to do some thinking about how to make a scale cement mixer and some of those red warning lamps.
Not sure about the cement mixer, perhaps a kids toy?, but Rik's signal post lamps with out the chimney top would be a pretty good start for the lamp - see his blogs.
Philip