'Refurbishing' the Bridge over the Greta

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: 'Refurbishing' the Bridge over the Greta

Post by FWLR » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:45 am

Thats so good Phil. It’s like seeing it built in the bigger world…all coming together when the rain stops…. :lol: :lol:

Love the way you have built the piers by the way, that Stixall looks to be brilliant stuff.
I thought the Evo Stik stuff is supposed to be water proof :scratch:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:05 pm

Catching up, sorry. I like those panels, it looks like a technique to try just got to figure where! Brilliantly de-furbished.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:45 pm

I don't seem to have noticed the last 2 comments on the thread, so apologies and thanks to Rod and Derek for the kind remarks, and I love the new word Derek - defurbished
I shall add that to my dictionary! :D

I have pretty much finished the bridge now and it has been fixed in place (with Stixall). Because the bridge is on a curve and the existing causeway is quite narrow, I have fixed the bridge unprototypically with its upper edge at rail height, which means it won't foul locos and rolling stock on the curve. Apart from the moans from the health and safety rep about no protection for PW workers, I think it looks okay, and have invoked rule 8*.
Today has been untypically wall to wall sunshine, but eventually the glare relented enough for me to get photos with somewhat less contrast.
20180905_140755_edited.jpeg
20180905_140755_edited.jpeg (247.36 KiB) Viewed 8854 times
This is the view from the garden side with the River Greta represented by blue slate chippings.
I oversprayed the parts with matt clear lacquer, which for some reason looks a bit shiny in these photos.
2018-09-05 14.09.01_edited.jpeg
2018-09-05 14.09.01_edited.jpeg (203.36 KiB) Viewed 8854 times
And the view from the field side.
I have also reballasted this section, and thought I would show my weatherproofing which stays in place for 3 or 4 days. They are just cheap polytunnels from Wilkinson's, which spike into the ground either side of the ballasted area. As there's no ground to spike into on the field side here, it's supported by plastic clamps to the fence wire.
20180905_111751-01.jpeg
20180905_111751-01.jpeg (254.94 KiB) Viewed 8854 times
* I'm sure most know rule 8, but for those who don't:
"It's my railway and I'll do what I like"[/ i]
Last edited by Lonsdaler on Thu May 13, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:21 pm

That looks really good Phil, top marks.
Could you get around the fencing issue by fixing iron posts on the outside faces rather than on the tops? Possibly even cantilevering them out by a few mm? Just a thought, depends on how tight the clearances are to start with.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:34 pm

I love the poly-tunnel idea, never thought of that before but will look into it now.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Looks really good Phil. Well done.
Ian

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:13 pm

That looks wonderful!

It already looks very railway-like to me, I don't reckon you need guard rails. I know modern H&S rule call for them, but did they always? I rode on the Dartmouth Steam Railway a fortnight ago (wonderful, a blue King one way and a red Pannier the other, both working hard against the gradients) and noticed that the safety rails on many of the smaller overbridges there were clearly modern, and I couldn't see any clear signs that they'd been preceded by something else...

Cheers,

Andrew

PS get well soon!

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Phil,
With nothing better to do, I'm cogitating my stream bridge again, and your thread a few weeks ago resurrected a related idea on my 'to do' list from years ago.
May I ask how thick your moulded concrete 'stone' panels are, please? It's difficult to judge from the pictures but they look about 15mm?
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:40 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:12 pm Phil,
With nothing better to do, I'm cogitating my stream bridge again, and your thread a few weeks ago resurrected a related idea on my 'to do' list from years ago.
May I ask how thick your moulded concrete 'stone' panels are, please? It's difficult to judge from the pictures but they look about 15mm?
Shouldn't you be wafting cool air over memsahib and providing daiquiri by the pint? :lol:
I think the wood formers I used were 18mm deep, so not a bad guess. I also incorporated a piece of galvanised wire mesh to provide some strength lengthways. Even so, a couple have cracked, but the wire stops them falling apart.
A nice 'stone' arched bridge would compliment your stream beautifully I think!
Phil

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:40 pm
Shouldn't you be wafting cool air over memsahib and providing daiquiri by the pint? :lol:
She rarely has more than one G&T per day :)
Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:40 pm I think the wood formers I used were 18mm deep, so not a bad guess. I also incorporated a piece of galvanised wire mesh to provide some strength lengthways. Even so, a couple have cracked, but the wire stops them falling apart.
yep I was thinking along those lines myself
Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:40 pm A nice 'stone' arched bridge would compliment your stream beautifully I think!
Funnily enough I've been scouring the 'net for stone bridge pictures these last couple of days. :D I keep shifting my thoughts around how best to fit a stone arch to a Rik style stone lined stream, but I think the ideas are crystalising now.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:49 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:50 pm
Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:40 pm A nice 'stone' arched bridge would compliment your stream beautifully I think!
Funnily enough I've been scouring the 'net for stone bridge pictures these last couple of days. :D I keep shifting my thoughts around how best to fit a stone arch to a Rik style stone lined stream, but I think the ideas are crystalising now.
Sounds intriguing. Be interested to see the outcome.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:49 pm
philipy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:50 pm
Sounds intriguing. Be interested to see the outcome.

Rik
This is the most attractive stone bridge I know
FB_IMG_1537458474326.jpg
FB_IMG_1537458474326.jpg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
It's called 'Brokken bridge', and is in Clapham, North Yorkshire. It's an old packhorse bridge, now just a pedestrian route over the local beck.
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Beautiful

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:11 pm

You could picture that image in an early Hollywood movie of what 'they' think a typical English village should look like..... perfection!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:49 am

That bridge is lovely, and as Peter said it is a 'typical' British idyllic scene. Peter, I'm sure your idyllic village needs a copy??

However, I feel that it might collapse at the mere thought of having to carry the weight of a train! On that subject I have now gone back to my own Stream thread on the subject of a stone bridge.
Philip

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:37 am

Yes, it's a beautiful bridge. I have no plans for one on my line, but all these bridge threads are weakening my resolve!
Ian

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:30 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:49 am That bridge is lovely, and as Peter said it is a 'typical' British idyllic scene. Peter, I'm sure your idyllic village needs a copy??

However, I feel that it might collapse at the mere thought of having to carry the weight of a train! On that subject I have now gone back to my own Stream thread on the subject of a stone bridge.
Yes, it's already suffered a sagging of the arch many years ago ( just visible in the dip of the parapet at rear left. At the risk of stating the obvious, the name Brokken refers to the fact that it is broken! I wasn't thinking in terms of a rail crossing Philip, but it would make a nice 'incidemtal feature. I may have to move it from Clapham Beck to the River Greta! :mrgreen:
Phil