Platforms

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
JonPotter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Platforms

Post by JonPotter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:14 pm

So, I am now at the point where I need some platforms! On the previous line we used mortar, however for this line they will be on top of felt and in one case needs to be easily removable. We're talking substantial lengths - 8' at least.

What have people used/what do people recommend?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: Platforms

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:41 pm

I've used good old foam board in the past, scribing bricks onto walls and using artificial slates as a top, they only come in two foot lengths and it isn't easy to get a smooth join. 4ft foam board for the top might work and mean only one joint. From experience I can advise that if your wife stands on an artificial slate platform it will break :evil:

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:05 am

I've had a brick and concrete platform outside successfully for about 6 years, but that method you know for yourself.
I've had a black 10mm thick Foamex platform outside for almost as long and that is doing OK. It was short lengths ( A4 if if I remember correctly) and there is a bit of a tendency to bend at the joint, but no other weather related issues, although the local wildlife does tend to snap the fence posts fairly frequently!
For my now 'under construction' station, I've uses 3mm Foamex mounted on a shell of my 3D printed facings, with internal cross supports. That basic shell has been outside for about 5 weeks now, and seems to be OK. The plan is to give it a top surface of Postcrete, which gives it a 'gravel' look. I'm also debating turning it upside down and filling it with concrete to give it weight and solidity. like yours, this is sitting on roofing felt.

In the past I've searched for the cheapest foamboard I could find, cheapskate that I am, but for my current station building I went to Foamboardonline, as recommended by somebody on here ( sorry can't remember who). They aren't the cheapest, although they do currently have an offer on of 10xA3 sheets for £10 + p&p, but their product is a joy to work with. However for your project, importantly they do A0 sheets (1188 x 841mm) which should make for a minimum number of joints.
http://www.foamboardonline.co.uk/5mm_White_Foamboard
Philip

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:28 am

On my previous ground level line I was prone to using either spare paving slabs, bricks, or some well soaked lengths of half inch square pegged to the ground with decomposed granite rammed hard down behind it. I really do not like platforms that are much above rail height. Depending on whether we end up in Ireland or Norway, it will be either a wood topped with plywood covered to look like a low brick face with a tarmac top, or the usual Norwegian low wooden platform constructed out of strip wood and coffee stirrers.

Peter in VA
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:25 am

I guess it depends on what type of platform style your trying to emulate. I use 200x100x40 beige pavers with a face of hardwood soaked in diesel oil. I then paint the top surface with a liberal amount of acrylic paint onto which I sprinkle sand whilst wet. The sand fills the joints and creates a less formal appearance.
Rebuilt Platform 2.JPG
Rebuilt Platform 2.JPG (115.89 KiB) Viewed 9052 times
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Where my platforms cannot be compared to Grant's they are easy to move about if required:

DSCN3604.jpg
DSCN3604.jpg (244.68 KiB) Viewed 9034 times
DSCN3602.jpg
DSCN3602.jpg (219.32 KiB) Viewed 9034 times

They are left over sand stone patio slabs which I have cut to size. I think I might paint them in the future as they look pretty grim :oops:

JonPotter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by JonPotter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Definitely food for thought. I think I will use something similar to what you are suggesting Grant, with a couple of detail changes. Will post some updates in the VWHR thread in due course.

Thanks again all.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 am

Whilst I have used mortar to create platforms in a couple of places, I have one station that needs to be removable, and have found some 10mm thick flooring slate tiles which work well. At present they aren't detailed, but I''m toying with scribing in flagstone detail.
I can simply pick the tiles up and store away as needed. The only photo I have at present is from it's first trial appearance .
Dublo-station.jpg
Dublo-station.jpg (430.57 KiB) Viewed 8894 times
I have also created one platform using a length of plastic wood approx 100 x 30 x 1000mm. There was space to bury the depth so that the platform is at rail level. I then coated it with SBR and fine sand, and laid slate coping stones along the rail edge. Can't really see that under the snow, though!
Birdbath-Halt.jpg
Birdbath-Halt.jpg (400.59 KiB) Viewed 8894 times
Edited to add: The nearside edge of the rail at Birdbath Halt is still awaiting the building of a retaining wall!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:55 am

Looks good Phil - I tend to use preserved wood panelling covers in roof felt

As an aside, i like the grads van in the second pic - is it scratch built or is it from a kit?
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:20 am

markoteal wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:55 am Looks good Phil - I tend to use preserved wood panelling covers in roof felt

As an aside, i like the grads van in the second pic - is it scratch built or is it from a kit?
I'm trying to avoid wood as much as possible Mark. Our garden would generally be described as 'wet', and anything in contact with the ground doesn't last long!

My little guards van was scratch built, using a binnie flat wagon for the running gear.
DSC_0462_zps1968dc92.jpg
DSC_0462_zps1968dc92.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 8825 times
It was my first attempt at scratch building rolling stock, and was 'sized' to accompany the little HGLW steeple loco I have.
P1020510_zps48bc74f5.jpg
P1020510_zps48bc74f5.jpg (73.61 KiB) Viewed 8825 times
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Cheers Phil - that looks within my limited (but developing) skills - I'll have to give it a go

Ta

M
Where did I put that uncoupler?