A Quiet Sunday

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
LNR
Driver
Driver

A Quiet Sunday

Post by LNR » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:47 am

Sunday, Main street Nayook in Autumn. Leaves everywhere.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:30 am

Super picture. Love the atmosphere it conveys.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:57 am

Seriously, thats all scale? You would easily fool me that it was real, absolutely fantastic! :D
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:17 am

Yes all scale. I confess to having a bit of a thing about Nayook. On my way to opening up my workshop every morning, first thing I do is put Chas. Hawkins car by the door to his garage, after opening at least the front door and maybe the side door as well, then Alan Corrigan's bakers cart is put out front of Rodwells Store, plus a few cars parked in the street to show the town is awake, sad I know!

Saturdays, all the cars and trucks are in town, just as I remember the town where we farmed for a while.
You don't have to be mad, but it helps.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:31 am

LNR:116583 wrote:Yes all scale. I confess to having a bit of a thing about Nayook. On my way to opening up my workshop every morning, first thing I do is put Chas. Hawkins car by the door to his garage, after opening at least the front door and maybe the side door as well, then Alan Corrigan's bakers cart is put out front of Rodwells Store, plus a few cars parked in the street to show the town is awake, sad I know!

Saturdays, all the cars and trucks are in town, just as I remember the town where we farmed for a while.
You don't have to be mad, but it helps.
It's that sort of detail which I think makes the hobby more interesting. I've been scouring the census records for the area in which my railway is supposedly set. I've got to wait another fifteen years before the records for 1931 are released, but in the meantime I'm using the ones for 1911 to work out who might still have been around (WWI permitting). Given rural communities in those days would have had fairly static populations, I've started giving the passengers and staff names based on the census records.

As you say, you don't have to be mad......

:laughing3:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:59 am

ge_rik:116600 wrote: I've got to wait another fifteen years before the records for 1931 are released,
Rik,
There is good news and bad news on this subject.

The next census to be released will be the 1921 one, which should be available in 2022, so only 6 years to wait for that one, not 16!

However if you are wanting the 30's specifically, the bad news is that the 1931 census records were destroyed in a fire, so that will never be available, unfortunately. However the 1939 Register which lists everyone in the country at the outbreak of WW2 is now available, but it costs an arm and a leg to look at individual households.

Guess what my other hobby is?? :lol:
Philip

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:50 am

Doesn't the research just add another fascinating aspect to the hobby.
Grant

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:30 am

Dappled Shade.
A shortcoming of having a cow in the home paddock, walking between the cow pats.

Image  Image

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:06 pm

''Ooo's bin pattin' cows then?"

Very nice, very atmospheric.
Is the tractor scratchbuilt or kit?

More pics please.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:44 pm

Nothing wrong with pattin' a cow or two!
Good to see detail like this modelled, previously I thought I was the only one......

The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:43 pm

Hah! Peter, your pic. is the reason I chose mine. I wanted to get into an in depth discussion on the colour of cow pats. Please, I'm not criticising, but noticed the colour of yours and wondered are cattle brought into barns during winter in England, and fed on hay.
Jim, the tractor a Fordson F, is the ERTL diecast one unfortunately in 1/16th. scale so it's really a bit big. Bought as in the first pic. then got at. Milled many molded items off, and made up separate ones, manifold, steering arms, rods, and scale steering wheel, added wiring etc. and a weathered paint and chip job.

Pity I left the large screw uncovered (dam!)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:37 am

LNR:116829 wrote: I'm not criticising, but noticed the colour of yours and wondered are cattle brought into barns during winter in England, and fed on hay.
Here in Wales (slightly left of England!) cows are fed on hay throughout the winter so their pats do take on a different colour. I haven't made a study but just painted what I thought was about right. Perhaps they are a lighter colour when there is less moisture?
Any farmers out there will be able to resolve this I'm sure.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:41 am

I guess that explains it Peter, of course our cattle are out all year round.
I have memories as a youngster, sitting in the milking shed yarning with old Pat, blue smoke haze from the Villiers portable milking machine roaring away beside us, all of a sudden he would leap up grab a square mouth shovel run to the back of the cow and have a shovel full before it hit the floor, then out through a large gap in the wall, sit back down and carry on the conversation. Guess he knew a certain cow twitch, he was a big man too, you wouldn't believe he could move that fast.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:10 pm

love the pictures soo real looking

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:57 am

A sunny shot of Nayook in its early days. Afternoon Pass. service arriving. No town to speak of yet and no formed roads.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:59 am

Do you get all of your visitors to lie on the ground to appreciate the wonderful railway you have created? They should do to get the best possible views as it looks so convincing at this height.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Peter Butler:116840 wrote:
LNR:116829 wrote: I'm not criticising, but noticed the colour of yours and wondered are cattle brought into barns during winter in England, and fed on hay.
Here in Wales (slightly left of England!) cows are fed on hay throughout the winter so their pats do take on a different colour.  I haven't made a study but just painted what I thought was about right.  Perhaps they are a lighter colour when there is less moisture?
Any farmers out there will be able to resolve this I'm sure.
I'm no farmer but as a lad, I was brought up in the country, down in Kent. I consider myself something of an expert on cow pats since one of our favourite occupations in the couple of weeks leading up to Nov 5th was to insert a 'penny banger' in a nice wet cowpat, light it and run...!

Based on that, I'd say the colour of the ones on the ground by the gate are about right.
:lol:
Philip

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Thank you, still having a giggle. Both comments conjure up funny pictures in my mind.
Grant.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:26 am

Time, rot and blackbirds, have conspired to slowly remove a large amount of soil at the rear of the farm home paddock. The ground is terraced in two steps down of about 18" and the Heathcote timber has been there for close to 30years. So we got in the heavy equipment (borrowed from the loggers, with young Jack supplying transport.) and cut back enough dirt to be able to put in some new 200x50mm treated pine.
They unloaded the Cat using a large rock at the creek as a ramp.
Once the wall was in, the dozer was able to push back the dirt (to find the track to the house again!) and have a general tidy up.

Then loaded back on and return to the workshop for a hose down before returning it to the Loggers camp. (probably with a slab or two under the seat :lol: :lol:)

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:28 am

That all looks very authentic. The Cat, what is it D8? and that superb tractor, possibly Thorneycroft? And the garage just oozes rural character.