Guide to Old Mamod Railway System Rolling Stock

This section is useful for posting interesting copies of instruction manuals and similar pieces to help other members of the hobby
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Guide to Old Mamod Railway System Rolling Stock

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:57 am

[Mod Note]Files no longer available, topic kept as it still may prove useful without the files.

Here is a guide to the old Mamod Steam Railway Co. Rolling Stock.

The stock was first produced in 1980, with production ending in 1989.

The six items of stock finally produced shared a common basic chassis.
This consisted of 2 x Side Frames, 2 x Drag Beams (also used for rear of locos), 2 x Buffer Beams, 2 x Wheel and Axle Assemblies (only available in 'O' Gauge, but MSS also produces them in '1' Gauge), 4 x Buffers & 2 x Coupling Rings. 2 styles of Coupling Rings were used.
And common to the RW3, RW4, RW5 & RW6 is this Wagon Floor.

RW1 Open Wagon

First introduced in 1980 in the RS1 & RS2 sets, later in some RS3 sets, and the RS4 & RS5 sets. Production discontinued in 1987. Simply formed by rivetting (4 rivets) this box structure to the basic chassis.
Still available second-hand via ebay. Currently not produced by MSS.

RW2 - Lumber Wagon

Also first introduced in 1980 in the RS1 & RS2 sets, and production discontinued in 1987. Simply formed by rivetting this base plate plus 4 stanchions (for holding 2 drive belts) to the basic chassis.
Still available second-hand via ebay, although the polystyrene logs are usually missing or somewhat beat-up. Currently produced by MSS as the RW7 (see http://www.chasteam.com/01gaugesteamlocos.htm and scroll down about 2/3rds of page).

RW3 - Guards Van

First introduced in 1981, included in some RS3 sets and also the RS1A set. Available in kit form as RW3K from 1983. Production ceased in 1989. Formed by adding the Wagon Floor, Guards Van End , Narrow End & Body, Wagon Roof and 2 x Handrails to the basic chassis.
Currently available as old 'New' stock from Chasteam, second-hand on ebay, and also produced by MSS in built-up or kit form.

RW4 - Goods Van

First introduced in 1981, included in some RS3 sets and also the RS1A set. Available in kit form as RW4K from 1983. Production ceased in 1989. Formed by adding the Wagon Floor, Wagon Ends, Wagon Doors, Wagon Roof and 2 x Handrails to the basic chassis.
Currently available as old 'New' stock from Chasteam, second-hand on ebay, and also produced by MSS in built-up or kit form in a lighter shade of grey.

RW5 - Passenger Coach

First introduced in 1981, included in some RS3 sets and also the RS3A set. Available in kit form as RW5K from 1983. Production ceased in 1989. Formed by adding the Wagon Floor, Coach Ends, Coach Doors, Seats, Wagon Roof and 2 x Handrails to the basic chassis.
Currently available as old 'New' stock from Chasteam, second-hand on ebay, and also produced by MSS in built-up or kit form in a different shade of red.
(Photo shows MSS RW5K 'customised' for a customer by adding transfers and plastic glazing).

RW6 - Flatbed Truck

First introduced in 1981, and in kit form as RW6K from 1983. Production ceased in 1989. Simply formed by rivetting (4 rivets) the Wagon Floor to the basic chassis.
Here is a photo from ebay of a recent RW6K item.

All the above opinions are mine based on observations of my rolling stock, plus references from 'The Story of Malins Models' book.
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:19 pm

Very informative. Thanks for posting :D

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:24 pm

great posting again Chris very informative and to your usual great standard. thanks mate :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed May 23, 2012 11:01 pm

As this topic has been moderated I cannot post updated links to my photos in the above posting.

However my rolling stock collection has expanded to include several vehicles from the new Mamod Steam Railway Company.

I have produced a 19 page electronic version (PDF) of this guide which has been updated recently to include these new items of rolling stock.

Please PM me if you would like a copy for your reference.

Chris Cairns.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:27 pm

I have just added a green previous style Mamod Passenger Coach to my collection.

So I've updated the electronic guide to the Rolling Stock to include this photo (now 20 pages).

Chris Cairns.