Paint Colours

This section is useful for posting interesting copies of instruction manuals and similar pieces to help other members of the hobby
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Paint Colours

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:58 pm

Can anyone provide a chart of the available paint colours please. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: Paint Colours

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:32 am

Think you may be disappointed here Rod. Roundhouse do paints to match their locos other than that it's largely picking something from existing ranges. I use humbrol and motor spare colours for goods stock. I use army painter sprays as well for loco and skip green but these are designed for warhammer type hobbies so are a strange mix of colours. These are the best sprays I have used.
There are some threads here that have shown car colours nearest to railway shades, may pay to flick through "Help me"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:46 am

Thanks for your help with the paint colours Derek, has always your knowledge is so helpful. It was your replies to me on FaceBook Messenger that has convinced me which way i should be going in my garden rail adventure. I am now in the process of selling a lot of my N Gauge steamers, so i can pit towards a little live steam loco my self. I was asking mainly about the colours so i could see what shade they are, what ever i see any locos for sale new and they have a little drop down box asking for a colour, i have no idea what shade of colour it is, apart from Black..lol.

Thanks again Derek. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:05 am

If you look on the Roundhouse website they actually show a chart of all their available colours.
Phil

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:28 am

Humbrol have a paint chart as well on their site as do most companies who make paint.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:08 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:46 am Thanks for your help with the paint colours Derek, has always your knowledge is so helpful. It was your replies to me on FaceBook Messenger that has convinced me which way i should be going in my garden rail adventure. I am now in the process of selling a lot of my N Gauge steamers, so i can pit towards a little live steam loco my self. I was asking mainly about the colours so i could see what shade they are, what ever i see any locos for sale new and they have a little drop down box asking for a colour, i have no idea what shade of colour it is, apart from Black..lol.

I think Roundhouse have a really slick range of colours in that I have yet to see a loco that didn't look good. If you can stretch to a roundhouse (my 3 are all secondhand) you will be buying from a company with a back up service that is second to none. In my humble opinion the Lady Anne is a perfect steamer.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:54 am

www.lightline16mm.com

I dare you to paint it pink (I don't think it is that bad).

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:16 am

pandsrowe wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:05 am If you look on the Roundhouse website they actually show a chart of all their available colours.
Thank you Phil... :thumbup:
Last edited by FWLR on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:17 am

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:28 am Humbrol have a paint chart as well on their site as do most companies who make paint.
Thank you Tom. :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:21 am

bazzer42 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:08 am
FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:46 am Thanks for your help with the paint colours Derek, has always your knowledge is so helpful. It was your replies to me on FaceBook Messenger that has convinced me which way i should be going in my garden rail adventure. I am now in the process of selling a lot of my N Gauge steamers, so i can pit towards a little live steam loco my self. I was asking mainly about the colours so i could see what shade they are, what ever i see any locos for sale new and they have a little drop down box asking for a colour, i have no idea what shade of colour it is, apart from Black..lol.

I think Roundhouse have a really slick range of colours in that I have yet to see a loco that didn't look good. If you can stretch to a roundhouse (my 3 are all secondhand) you will be buying from a company with a back up service that is second to none. In my humble opinion the Lady Anne is a perfect steamer.
Thanks Derek that is a loco i am wanting, my partners name is Anne, clever me i think have told her that i would like one of them so it will be on my xmas list, no chance for my birthday this month though..lol

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:25 am

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:54 am Image
www.lightline16mm.com

I dare you to paint it pink (I don't think it is that bad).
:scratch: would be different...

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Hmmmm, not a standard Roundhouse colour for some strange reason.....

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:21 pm

bazzer42 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 pm Hmmmm, not a standard Roundhouse colour for some strange reason.....
:laughing3: above post.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Look at it as if it was red once but the paint has faded very badly...

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:31 pm

1980's vauxhall Red did the same.
If you have something in mind it might be worth having a chat with a paint factors (auto refinishing products)
While there is a wide a varied selection of shades there are a few standard colour schemes BS is one.
Many of them may seem familier. If you look hard enough British Leyland dysentery Brown and bile yellow are there.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Your original post asked for a chart of available colours.

The table / list as supplied in http://www.paint4models.com/ would appear to cover most of the paints available.

JOhn
The world's going to end very soon --- so I'd better try to get something finished by then

Gary_16mm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Gary_16mm » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:13 am

Hi Guys, looking for some help with finding the right colour match for Talyllyn coaching stock red/tan. The closest I can get for the tan is Revell SM382 and I'm quite happy with that, but I can't seem to find what is, to my eyes, the right red. Any suggestions? Don't mind if it is brush or spray painted but getting a bit frustrated with buying what I think is right only to be disappointed!

So, anyone built and painted any Talyllyn stock and prepared to share the secret of the paint?

Many thanks,
Gary

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:19 am

NSB (Norwegian State Railways) red-brown is causing me problems at the moment. It is close enough to the modern shade of Isle of Man Railway "Indian Red" for me to both read it as being the same colour and realise it is not! I do a lot better with murky greens and mucky greys.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

oldblindpugh
Cleaner
Cleaner

Paint Colours for Accucraft

Post by oldblindpugh » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:05 am

I have some Accucraft IoM coaches in green and cream.
Can anyone tell me of a paint that matches the green colour, brush or spray?
thanks

Happy New Year :king:

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:12 pm

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... raft+paint

Reply from way back regarding paint colours for Accucraft coaches.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!