The B.E.R - The Rebuild Begins!

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Re: The B.E.R - Construction begins

Post by angr607 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Big Jim wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:44 pm A train of five of them behind a steamer is going to look spectacular.
You mean like this?

Leader and 5 FR coaches together.

And who knows, that train might get even longer soon....... :D Back from work early and the weather is still stunning. Time to break out Superior I think! Nice heavy loco should bed the track in nicely........

Cheers,

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 pm

That looks mightily splendid.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Having got back from work eariler than planned, time to run a train. A rudy heavy one at that!

Stock was my Welshpool set which although not very heavy, don't roll as nicely as they should (I really should Oil them at some point.......) plus Superior. A nice heavy loco to test it all properly (well, it is the biggest I own!).

Raising Steam. I think I've found the perfect steam up area (for now).

After about 20 minutes light engine to let the ballast settle, The test train awaits!

Quick couple up and then.....

Off we go! Only a short run down the track but with the regulator cracked open and 20psi on the gauge, takes a surprisingly long time to get to the other end!

Leaves a surprisingly nice steam trail as well!

Run complete after about 45 minutes. Time to let the steam vent out before packing away!

Been a long time since I ran a successful train in my garden with only 1 derailment after a very rapid stop (that brick does a good job as a buffer stop!).

Safe to say I'm very happy! Bring on the next stage (most likely in February or later depending on if the parents say yes or not......)

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Very nice Jon. Congratulations on some smart work and on getting some trains running.

The pins in the track will help a lot with the alignment as they will go a long way to resisting lateral movement. This has a full sized parallel. Through bolt standard gauge track is renowned for holding gauge long after the sleepers have become 'ant fodder', screwed down chairs would have long since headed for 'Brunel gauge' in on similar sleepers!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:06 pm

All that matters is you enjoy it mate, well done!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:18 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:06 pm All that matters in you enjoy it mate, well done!
Absolutely! That's the Alpha and Omega of what we are all about. I couldn't agree more Tom. :thumbleft:

Andrew

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:07 pm

Hear hear.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Have you thought about adding an inertia wagon Jon, it would make your trains run much slower and give longer run time (helps on little lines like ours).

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:19 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:39 pm Have you thought about adding an inertia wagon Jon, it would make your trains run much slower and give longer run time (helps on little lines like ours).
The thought does cross my mind from time to time. That said, I get fairly slow speeds with the engines as it is. Its just a case of choosing the right rolling stock to go with the engine!

Fingers crossed when the weather clears up, I'll get some more running in. My FR set hasn't run a one ever so might be time to correct that!

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Its happening! Work has started on the extension. Its broken into two phases to make it manageable. Phase one makes use of existing track and runs for 15ft down the garden installing a passing loop and three sidings. Phase 2 finishes off the running line and will either end in another runround loop or will end in a series of sidings. I haven't decided yet. First stage of the work was to install the barrier between the garden and the railway. I'm happy with it and even with my bodging, it looks good. Next once the parents have seen it and are happy with the amount of space taken up, then the grass needs removing and ballast/track laid. Then its testing time again!

Barrier in place with track laid in place to check fit. I've even managed to fit a 45mm gauge line in as well although that might go if the parents aren't happy.

Ballast in store waiting for Sunday (or monday) for work to begin on the heavy work!

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Nicely in line with the shed I reckon. Would it pay to treat the shed if you are going lay track down there, access could be a bit tight. That said I usually lay a couple of boards across my track if I'm treating the decking sides.

Good progress.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:37 pm

Nice busy yard area.

You thought about how you are going to go about uncoupling and operating the run around loop at ground level?

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Thanks for the comments Gents.
tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:37 pm Nice busy yard area.

You thought about how you are going to go about uncoupling and operating the run around loop at ground level?
The loop is arm length from the edge of the line to the furthest loop. I'm not planning on doing any coupling/uncoupling there anyway! That's for the existing main line section. That said, Its all accessable so shouldn't be a problem. That said, the 45mm might not survive for long depending on how I feel (its not something that gets used a lot if at all!) so all for the future once the 32mm in in properly with test trains run.
bazzer42 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:17 pm Nicely in line with the shed I reckon. Would it pay to treat the shed if you are going lay track down there, access could be a bit tight. That said I usually lay a couple of boards across my track if I'm treating the decking sides.

Good progress.
The Shed needs repainting fairly soon but that belongs to my parents so....... they can decide about that! The line won't run past the shed until early next year at the earliest. Something about having a Model Railway Range to support sucking up all the money at the moment.....

Hopefully, we should have some images on Sunday with some ballast down if not early next week.

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Couple of days later than planned, it is done (almost). It took two of us (me and dad) 6 hours to complete but its been worth it.

The first job was the remove the turf from the section of garden. Surprisingly easy to do but still took a long time.

Next, we put down the weed proof membrane onto the ground. Something I didn't do on the existing railway and boy, do I regret not doing it!

Next, the fun stuff starts. Ballasting! First pass took 12 bags of gravel with the second pass taking another 3. The membrane got trimmed as well at this point.

First track then went down. 45mm gauge first as its easier to lay. LGB track was used thoughout and unsurprisingly was down in minutes. First time I've had 45mm gauge out in about 5 years!

Now the track that will see the most use, The 32mm! Passing loop is long enough for a Brazil and two WHR coaches (Note, WHR not FR) which should be good. Only one joint needs trimming but the weather turned awful at that point so.... that can wait for another day. The track also needs packing but I suspect that will have to wait until better weather so I can get a loco out and start to test it all!

Safe to say I'm happy with the progress. I'm out of 32mm track now plus the parents want to see it bedded in before approving stage 2 so that's for another day.

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Nice tidy job you've made there. I'm still trying to replant moss here to hide my gravel!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm

This could be the smallest outdoor dual gauge railway we have on here?

Maybe we need to create a digital plaque for you.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:25 pm

That is certainly a good use of a limited space.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:15 am

This is all looking good. Trains before Christmas!!!
Grant.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys!
LNR wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:15 am This is all looking good. Trains before Christmas!!!
Grant.
Wasn't quite before Christmas. More like yesterday! I was waiting for the weather to be warm enough/sunny enough to take the hacksaw into the garden to cut the remaining track joints which I did. After about an hour of swearing and remembering why I need to buy a Dremel (or similar), the final rail joints were cut and the first proper test running has taken place. Aptly, the trains were 4 of my FR coaches and my new RC Accucraft Lawley. I've always wanted a Lawley or a similar 0-6-0 and now I've got one!

Lawley Steaming Up

First some trains smokebox first

Then it was the turn of some bunker first running making use of the passing loop. Abet as a shunt release because the train was too long.

Sat in the station ready to depart.

Surprisingly the line rises through the station and out the other end which wasn't planned. The gradient is something like 1 in 20 which is well within the limits of the current motive power although train lengths are unlikely to exceed 4 coaches (they weigh 2kg each so is not light). That said, in time, If something really powerful arrives It's not like I don't have the stock to really test it out!

Future plans are fairly simple. More rolling stock as the business grows and the RC fitting Superior and Excelsior. The Lawley came with it as standard and I can see the attraction to it especially on a line like mine (out and back).

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:37 pm

Very nice Jon,

Lovely to see some trains running.

I love Lawley's - proper engines! That livery is very attractive, far more so than I imagined light blue would be!

Andrew