The B.E.R - The Rebuild Begins!

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:47 pm

Well yesterday the line was run on by Excelsior with a rake of 3 Pulp wagons behind her. It went well although I'd forgotten how Excelsior looses power rapidly as the water levels drop.

Excelsior is my latest Brazil class (now one of two as Premier has been sold off) and features the original cylinders which is why I wanted it. Why with the original cylinders? Because I wanted something with a seriously different power output when compared to my Leader while sitting fitting in with the rest of the fleet. It is still capable of pulling 4 of my Sittingbourne wagons which is all I ask of it (and all the prototypes were capable of hauling).

At some point, I'm planning to buy a Superior to complete the trio if I can get my hands on one when I can afford one!

Excelsior when delivered last year.

Excelsior and train on the railway.

Rolling stock Bowaters wise, I've got another pair of Passenger coaches in the works (1 awaiting Bogies and Couplings and 1 on order) which brings the total to 4 along with 3 more Pulp Wagons (1 awaiting painting, 1 awaiting Bogies and Couplings and 1 on order).

I've also got two other coaches on order for another project but there will be more on that when they arrive.

Cheers,

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Re: The B.E.R - Construction begins

Post by angr607 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Well, new forum, time for a update. Things have progressed very slowly. The layout although operational, has ended up dismantled until I have the time to run it again (Hopefully THIS weekend fingers crossed) plus I haven't had much will to run trains. Until Peterborough that was :D

The track plan will stay the same at the long straight with a couple of sidings at the end although I'm going to try to finish extending it the full way down the garden to give a nice long run. Part of the reason for wanting to get the railway out again is these........

One Second Hand Accucraft Superior. Only had it nearly a year and still not run it........

A certain pair (now Trio and soon to be set of 5(!)) of Ffestiniog Coaches

I definitely think having spent the afternoon completing (as much as I can) and fitting couplings to my 3 FR coaches and now having a powerful enough engine to pull them, time to give them a run :D

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:32 am

Some nice work in those coaches, lasers have definitely change the face of kit making.
Grant.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks. Laser cutting certainly does make models I could have only dreamed about a few years ago possible. It means even this idiot can make models I can be proud of :D

Just one from today, I was planning on running some steam tomorrow but then I saw the weather....... I'll just have to wait until Monday!

That doesn't look half bad. Might have to dig out the station shelter I built a while ago to sit there as well........

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:09 am

I don't imagine you'd be wanting to get steam oil on those nice bare timber coaches.
Grant.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:33 am

Nice coaches! Indeed laser cutting opens possibilities. I do have an electric jigsaw, but it's very hard to get so much windows exactly the same.. Combined with 3d printing or castings and even a hobbyist can make professional looking rolling stock!
It will be a huge length however when these 3 coaches are all hooked up in one train.. :shock:
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks for the comments guys!
daan wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:33 am Nice coaches! Indeed laser cutting opens possibilities. I do have an electric jigsaw, but it's very hard to get so much windows exactly the same.. Combined with 3d printing or castings and even a hobbyist can make professional looking rolling stock!
It will be a huge length however when these 3 coaches are all hooked up in one train.. :shock:
3 of them is shall we say...... bigger than most 16mm trains as it is. And there will be 5 in total. Total train length of 10ft before we start adding motive power. That said, all 3 do look stunning coupled together. Bring on the next two :D

Seeing as the weather today was better than I was expecting but not being steaming weather, I did some construction work. I only added 8ft the end of the railway along with a small siding. Not going to fit much in it other than a cooling down steam engine but should give me the room to get engines somewhere while continuing operations. Not a lot will fit around the curves at the other end so...... Just a 'slight' design error that I might correct in time. I like the idea of having different siding styles at each end of the layout.

The railway as it is at present.

The new extension showing the engine siding.

Its getting there. Not sure when if at all I'll modify the other end but if I do, I have something in mind. Can't add loads of sidings because I've 'slightly' run out of track.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to run a train or two!

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:33 pm

After a long discussion with the landlords, it's finally happened! A permanent line has appeared in my garden. Only about 22ft long at the moment but will grow to 30ft on Saturday with further growth potentially following in the new year if it beds in enough and the parents are still happy.

First job, go and buy a load of Ballast. Phase 1 used 6 bags and I have 4 more in stock for phase 2/3 if it ever happens.

Ballast down and in place. Taken just before it was packed (aka stood on)

Track all laid and tamped. Ready for running (and yes, the trains do fit under the slab)

The kinds of shots that are now possible. Leader shown at the end of the line. That's SO much better compared to the rotten planks the line was on before.

Overall, I'm very happy with the end result and I'm looking forward to getting it finished and test trains run on Saturday! That and finally being able to dispose of the rotten boards the line used to live on!

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Glad your line is progressing.

Any railway is better than no railway at all.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:48 pm

Top marks for perseverance and determination.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Well done Jon,

It looks great now you've got some ballast down. It's a nice, neat and tidy bit of work. Are you fixing the track down to anything or loose laying in the ballast?

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:18 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys. It's so good to finally get something permanent down!
Soar Valley Light wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:29 pm Well done Jon,

It looks great now you've got some ballast down. It's a nice, neat and tidy bit of work. Are you fixing the track down to anything or loose laying in the ballast?

Andrew
Track is being laid loose. I've left the nails in the track from when its being removed from the wooden planks which does something to hold it in place (well, in my mind it does). That said, it is all jacked and packed to make sure its level. First trains should be tomorrow hopefully!

Speaking of track.......

The final 3 yards are down! Total running line is about 10-11 yards (I think, I haven't measured it!) but I'm happy. Plus I've got 3 bags of gravel and 5 yards of track spare ready to start across the lawn (when the parents let me...)

The spare track. Mostly in one piece. Unsurprisingly, the track on some of the newer boards didn't want to come off!

First trains (battery powered to make life easier) should be tomorrow. Stock hasn't been decided yet but may end up being the welshpool set (again for ease).

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:48 pm

Only one image from today. First test runs were done with my IPE Jessica and two FR coaches. Surprisingly level for something I've built! Not bad really. Need to get some heavier locos running over it to start fully bedding it in but I'm happy. That's for another day unless I get back early enough from work either today or tomorrow....

Short test train under power.

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Those coaches are big boys aren't they :thumbup:

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:44 pm

A train of five of them behind a steamer is going to look spectacular.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Big Jim wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:44 pm A train of five of them behind a steamer is going to look spectacular.
You mean like this?

Leader and 5 FR coaches together.

And who knows, that train might get even longer soon....... :D Back from work early and the weather is still stunning. Time to break out Superior I think! Nice heavy loco should bed the track in nicely........

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 pm

That looks mightily splendid.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Having got back from work eariler than planned, time to run a train. A rudy heavy one at that!

Stock was my Welshpool set which although not very heavy, don't roll as nicely as they should (I really should Oil them at some point.......) plus Superior. A nice heavy loco to test it all properly (well, it is the biggest I own!).

Raising Steam. I think I've found the perfect steam up area (for now).

After about 20 minutes light engine to let the ballast settle, The test train awaits!

Quick couple up and then.....

Off we go! Only a short run down the track but with the regulator cracked open and 20psi on the gauge, takes a surprisingly long time to get to the other end!

Leaves a surprisingly nice steam trail as well!

Run complete after about 45 minutes. Time to let the steam vent out before packing away!

Been a long time since I ran a successful train in my garden with only 1 derailment after a very rapid stop (that brick does a good job as a buffer stop!).

Safe to say I'm very happy! Bring on the next stage (most likely in February or later depending on if the parents say yes or not......)

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Very nice Jon. Congratulations on some smart work and on getting some trains running.

The pins in the track will help a lot with the alignment as they will go a long way to resisting lateral movement. This has a full sized parallel. Through bolt standard gauge track is renowned for holding gauge long after the sleepers have become 'ant fodder', screwed down chairs would have long since headed for 'Brunel gauge' in on similar sleepers!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:06 pm

All that matters is you enjoy it mate, well done!