The Summerton Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

The Summerton Light Railway

Post by Si » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:50 pm

After much prevarication and general idleness, work started on the railway itself today....funny how a rise in temperature and a bit of sun can get you out in the garden...me, a fair-weather modeller? Never :oops:

I had all sorts of ideas about track plans, but in the end it came down to what bits of track I had to use, and what bits of wood i had to mount them on.

Have knocked up the boards for the station area and they are currently drying, having had some kind of bitumen paint daubed all over them.

the layout is simply two Y points with the fat ends pointing at leach other, two sidings at one end, with the main line coming off the point at the other, and a side line going to a quarry or some such on the siding next to it. Does that make sense?

Rather than stick stuff into the ground I'm going to attach the end to the house, and the rest to extant fence posts.....will save me a lot of effort and will mean that it won't be a permanent feature so we can move house!

Anyway...more tomorrow when the paint has dried.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Sounds different so would be good to see a plan?

You can do one for free using Anyrail software.

Stuvon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stuvon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Sounds like a railway with a purpose, rather than a simple loop. Should make operating fun as you'll have to work it!
Stuart
Manager: Notley Docks Light Railway - Stanway Works
www.photobucket.com/ndlr

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:51 am

Rough sketch plan below. The dashed red line is a future development that will complete a full circuit of the garden... but as this is my first garden railway I'm making phase one fairly straight forward.

And, yes, it's more a shunting line than a watching the trains go past line. In fact the station area is a replica of my O9 layout, which despite its simplicity gives lots of interesting operation. However, I'm looking at putting a switch on the sides of my locos such that they hit a line-side arm and automatically change direction, so I can do some sitting back and watching the trains look after them selves.

Just from painting the board I see why so many people advocate elevated track beds! Mine will be at about 2ft height at the station end and about six inch height at the loop end due to the slope in the garden.

Next job: mount the big station board, then start unbuilding track: I'm using second hand O gauge points which don't like my courser wheels, thus have to remount the check rails. Dead easy on the plastic sleepered one, but a tad harder on the copper clad sleepered one. Oh well, doing it on a budget means what you save in the pocket you make up for with awkwardness!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 am

Si:82243 wrote:I'm looking at putting a switch on the sides of my locos such that they hit a line-side arm and automatically change direction, so I can do some sitting back and watching the trains look after them selves.
This CAN be done - the Big Big Train had it as standard, with proper "swipe" switches that worked with lineside "pegs" but you are (I'm sure" aware that toggle and slide switches can take a considerable amount of force to operate, and trying to work these from lineside could throw a loco off the track!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:34 am

I too am a fan of out and back lines, I enjoy the run around at each end with the preparation and for the next run. Would it be easier to operate with a run around loop in that station or have you a cunning shunting sequence planned?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 am

[quote="Mr. Bond of the DVLR:82246]"...................or have you a cunning shunting sequence planned?[/quote]

............ and a loc called Blackadder?
Last edited by MDLR on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:58 am

Yep, I've foreseen the problem with stiff switches, Brian. I've got some off some old bike lights that have a really soft action an so shouldn't cause the loco to go exploring in the undergrowth, with any luck.

Mr Bond, I don't know about cunning, but I am thinking of using the same sort of sequences that I use on the O9 layout. For instance, a train (loco, two coaches and guard's van) comes into the station, but discovers that there is no run round loop, so has to call on his friend the yard shunter (which is ready waiting in the industry line. Shunter pulls guards van off the back and pushes into the other siding, then comes back and pulls the coaches off and pushes them into the guard's van siding. Shunter then retires to the industry line and the train loco reverses then goes into the carriage siding. Everything re couples and the passenger train pulls out the station and is off round the reversing loop at the other end again.

Sounds fairly simple, but such movements can keep one occupied for a while, plus when you throw in the odd goods wagon and stuff coming from the industry branch, it gets more complicated.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 pm

That is indeed a cunning plan and should give many hours of good fun on the railway.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:24 pm

I quite like the idea of that! I've always been fond of railways which involve small scale shunting!

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Nice plan :D

If you "lock out" a linking section of the continuous run, you can still operate an end-to-end service with the associated run around moves, as I do on the W&L.
Of course, having a "micro layout" attached as a branch also adds as much shunting as you like ;)

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OyYdqUBE8uE?hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OyYdqUBE8uE?hl ... on=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Very nice video!

As for 'micro layouts' in O9 it comes in at 4ft by 6inches, in 14mm:ft it's about 10ft by 10 inches. I guess the discrepancy in length is down to the O9 being min gauge and the 14mm being narrow, but that ought to mean that the 14mm is wider...scratches head.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:56 pm

That's so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. Like the plan a lot. I'd have a go at that if I could insure I'd have a working diseasil shunter at all times.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Instead of pegs and switches, have you considered magnets and reed switches? Jus' sayin'

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:19 pm

It's an idea. I've never really dabbled with reed switches, I guess that the switch would have to operate some other, slightly more complex, circuitry? Otherwise as soon as the engine passes the magnet the switch would click back the other way and the engine would try to go forward again? Afraid that I'm not very good with the old 'lectrics.

Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Hmmm damn good point. I did devise a circuit for track power but I must confess I hadnt thought of that! :shock: Let me see if I can think a way round it....

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Simon's Rule 1 of Garden Railway Building.
Before beginning, sell your house and move to a new one that has a perfectly flat back garden, that is also paved over with not a shred of greenery in it.
Simon's Rule 2 of Garden Railway Building.
After you have fulfilled Rule1, forget all about building a garden railway and do something a little less ambitious like trying to run around the world with one foot tied behind your back.

Am literally bushed at the moment - have been grubbing the undergrowth out and getting rid of diseased trees before the permanent way goes through. You never know, I might get around to track laying one day!

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:17 pm

First bit of track went down today. Can't believe how long it takes to lay outside track. My own fault for doing it on the cheap - using 2nd hand O scale track so I have chop the webbing between each sleeper and slide half off so that I can respace the remaining. OK, they do look a tad spindly, but I've got plenty of prototype pics where the sleepers looked little better than fire wood.

Slight problem in testing.... popped my best loco on and it was dead as a dodo, a little investigation suggested that the motor was dead...very annoying as I've only had it since last September and in that time its probably only run for about 5 mins. :-(

Now I've got to start hacking the points so the coarse wheels will run through them properly...."CHEAP or EASY - you may choose only one option".

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:38 pm

Track all down for the first short bit...

All looks a bit rough and ready - you can see what I meant by firewood sleepers! Needs a good covering of ballast to sort it out.

Heading out of the station area.

Seen from the other end.

The Busted Bricks budget chassis doing track testing duties.

Next step is to bend round to the left and put the reversing loop in at the end.

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm

Note about the Busted Bricks chassis - in 2wd form with a bit of weight on it it managed to pull the train of four wagons at a sedate pace but with no noticeable wheel slippage. Takes about 30seconds to run from one end to the other - speaking as someone who comes from a smaller scale shunting layout background, this is great with me!

The above test was done with just one 1.5v battery attached to the 3v motor.

The wagons haven't currently any added weight. Putting four or five half golf ball sized rocks into the wagons defeated it on the points and the slight incline.