Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by FWLR » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:58 am

You have done a brilliant job again Peter. Looks so much like an heritage station which is going to get very busy soon....Hopefully.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Due to the extremely bad wet and windy weather here, and elsewhere I'm sure, there has been no further progress on the station site, however, another 'special' kit from Jerry Irwin has kept me occupied.
IMG_7633.JPG
IMG_7633.JPG (69.2 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
IMG_7634.JPG
IMG_7634.JPG (80.08 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
This is another addition to my early train to go with the 'Rocket' coaches. It is based on the Open 3rd. carriage, reduced in length as were the others. The kit is laser cut from MDF, including the overlays.....
IMG_7632.JPG
IMG_7632.JPG (80.54 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
Two sets of overlays are used, inside and out, to show the panelling. These are painted separately and attached later.
The floor panels are particularly good and not usually supplied by most manufacturers, but in this instance an important feature....
IMG_7652.JPG
IMG_7652.JPG (140.85 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
The usual chassis is included, along with ball-race axle bearings as standard. All Jerry's vehicles roll freely and smoothly...
IMG_7635.JPG
IMG_7635.JPG (120.74 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
This time I have hand-painted everything using 'Citadel' acrylics, they give a finish equal to spray painting but without all of the masking required....
IMG_7647.JPG
IMG_7647.JPG (150.97 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
IMG_7654.JPG
IMG_7654.JPG (200.15 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
I think this kit, along with the others, are particularly well timed to add to the market as Hornby are releasing their Open 3rd. coach later this year to go with their '00' Rocket re-release, which has proved so popular it has sold out!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:45 pm

Another great build, Peter. Those slatted seats really stand out well in the open topped coach.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:10 am

Another great kit build Peter. Like it a lot.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:58 am

Very nice! I particularly like the internal detail...

Are you planning on installing any figures appropriate to the era? I fear they might be a little tricky to source!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:48 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:58 am Very nice! I particularly like the internal detail...

Are you planning on installing any figures appropriate to the era? I fear they might be a little tricky to source!
I imagine passengers with top hats and frock-coats, bonnets and long dresses, could be 3D printed, although I haven't seen any offered for sale. A very limited market I'm sure.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:48 am
Andrew wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:58 am Very nice! I particularly like the internal detail...

I imagine passengers with top hats and frock-coats, bonnets and long dresses, could be 3D printed, although I haven't seen any offered for sale. A very limited market I'm sure.
Out with the scalpel and the Miliput Peter!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:09 am

Just a thought Peter, two of my early figures were decorations for the top of wedding cakes, and while mine didn't, I'm sure I saw some in top hats and full gowns. That type may even be more prevalent in the UK.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:39 am

Preiser do some period figures in G scale (1:20.3), but they ain't cheap
Eg - https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magen ... 45056.html

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:47 am

I don't think that is bad Rik. Divided by 3, they come out at £13.50. Cheap really what you consider figures are getting more and more expensive by the week.....

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:21 am

Thanks for the above ideas related to figures, I have made a search and found some wedding cake figures, but nothing seated, other than brides flashing their garters! Doll's house suppliers do have seated figures, although 1:12 appear too large and 1:24 too small. Design/Scan/Print 3D (my preferred supplier) have a limited range of potentially suitable seated figures in 1:19 scale, and at £6.50 each are a better price too. Some of these would need surgery and some modelling material to become 'period' but seem to be the best option...... so far!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:02 am

Now they are cheap Peter. Need to have a look at the site myself I think. Thank you.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:34 pm

It has been about a month since I mentioned my new platform/station installation and between poor weather, short holiday break (golden wedding) and other DIY household jobs, I have at last managed to get the edging blocks fitted in position.......
IMG_7695.JPG
IMG_7695.JPG (165.04 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
IMG_7694.JPG
IMG_7694.JPG (150.22 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
I used a quick drying tile cement (powder) mixed with SBR (what else?) and bonded them to the cement base I laid last month. They set quickly, as the name implies, allowing me to put ballast in place to meet up with the facing edge.....
IMG_7699.JPG
IMG_7699.JPG (184.28 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
IMG_7698.JPG
IMG_7698.JPG (167.9 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
All looking nice and tidy again.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:06 am

Congratulations on your Golden Wedding Peter.... :wav:

The photos you sent in your email of the hotel looked great.
Love the photo with the couple looking lovely into to each other eyes. I keep meaning to get some SBR, but old age memory keeps on forgetting.... :lol: :lol:

Anne and I are having the kids and grandchildren around today because it's my 68th tomorrow, I am going bto show the photo of the couple to them, they may give them some ideas for us..... :roll: :roll:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 pm

A few warm, dry days makes such a difference so the platform surface could be laid. For this I used sharp sand mixed with floor tile adhesive powder, plenty of water and a generous splash of SBR. The consistency was such that it allowed the mix to self level with minimum intervention. It did take longer to set, but fortunately the weather stayed dry for long enough.....
I would love to show you the pictures but the system is telling me.... ' Sorry but the board attachment quota has been reached'.... ?
Moderators.... any assistance would be appreciated.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:55 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 pm
I would love to show you the pictures but the system is telling me.... ' Sorry but the board attachment quota has been reached'.... ?
Peter, I can't help I'm afraid, it needs Tom for this.
I can confirm that I've just tried to attach a test picture to post this and got the same message, so it isn't just you!.

I don't know if it is related, but a couple of days ago I had problems with even getting the forum to load at all, so it may be that there is some sort of underlying issue.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:34 am

Many thanks for the reply Philip, I hope Tom has also seen the message and will let us all know.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 pm

Excellent news..... thanks to a local friend with a drone and with the kind and generous help and support of our own Rik, a new video has been produced of my Brockhampton and Umbridge Railway, from the air! ....and is now available to view on Youtube......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEhPsDt5ghw

I think it is wonderful and I thank Steve and Rik for filming and editing the video, which could not have been achieved otherwise. Even though I know the railway inside out it shows the landscape from a different perspective which could not be seen any other way. I hope you enjoy their work.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:06 pm

Thanks Peter ( & Rik & Steve).
As you say it shows a new and very different view of your railway and its interesting to see the relationship of various elements that we are very very familiar with at ground level. The flying and editing are superb.

Having said all that, I think I prefer the previous, more usual low level vignette type views, because they allow the suspension of disbelief more easily.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:03 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:55 am
Peter Butler wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 pm
Peter, I can't help I'm afraid, it needs Tom for this.
I can confirm that I've just tried to attach a test picture to post this and got the same message, so it isn't just you!.

I don't know if it is related, but a couple of days ago I had problems with even getting the forum to load at all, so it may be that there is some sort of underlying issue.
I see that Nomis (of this Forum) has loaded a picture today so the problem seems to be isolated to some and not all users.... any conclusion on that Tom?