Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Andrew

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Hello!

Just catching up after a busy few days - that van's lovely Peter! A very nice kit, beautifully made.

They were still beveling edges after the Victorian era, at Swindon at least - I took a ride on the Avon Valley Railway's "Toad" 1940-built brake last year, and the chap who'd overseen its restoration pointed out how they'd recreated that look when they'd had to replace some wood around the windows.

The "Flying Bench" with its covers is wonderful too. There's more information here if you're interested: https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/The_Flying_Bench

I've got an IP kit for one of them in their later guise, rebuilt as "porthole" bug boxes, which I must get round to building some time.

Anyway, congratulations, the two of them make a fine end to a splendid rake.

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:03 pm

Thanks Andrew, I did use that link during my very basic research into the tent canopy structure. That is about all I could find but I was able to copy enough detail from the pictures to make a reasonable representation. I think it passes my 'looks like' test, so I'm happy with the end result.
It would be nice to see your IP 'Porthole' carriage under construction and how you find the build compares with others you have made. Every manufacturer differs in materials and assembly, which is what I tried to show with my reviews.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:50 am

Thanks for your reply Graeme. It looks like the website won't work in European countries I'am afraid :|

Still you have explained a bit more about what a "Lambs Tongue" is. Thank you. :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 pm

Having now completed the Bug Box kits I had an opportunity to run all ten vehicles on the railway today. Beforehand the weather has said 'No!' to that possibility, with rain falling heavily to make up for the long dry spell we have recently enjoyed???
It was certainly gratifying to see them all following in line behind the double Fairlie, and they all behaved themselves perfectly....
IMG_7446.JPG
IMG_7446.JPG (193.51 KiB) Viewed 5746 times

IMG_7442.JPG
IMG_7442.JPG (195.43 KiB) Viewed 5746 times
IMG_7443.JPG
IMG_7443.JPG (167.4 KiB) Viewed 5746 times

I am still unsure about the Lamb's Tongue description and having checked on Google I have discovered that it is usually more common on skirting, or other flat timber ornament, on one edge only. I then looked up 'Stopped chamfer' and this seems to be more of the style I imagine is used on the Sentry Van, although it might include a convex or concave element too?
Good question for a pub quiz, but that will have to wait !

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:44 am

Now that is a train. Looks brilliant Peter and so in keeping with your line, which by the way is still one of the best on the forum.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:36 am

My, my, but they do look good. Even more so that they run smoothly.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:34 pm

Not much happening here at the moment, poor weather recently and not a kit in sight!
I did a quick inspection of the railway to check on plant growth, storm damage etc. and discovered this......
IMG_7448.JPG
IMG_7448.JPG (179.96 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
Natural creeper (?) of some sort growing quite realistically up the rear wall of the disused forge, if you wanted it to it would never happen!

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:05 pm

Difficult to be sure from that distance, but it looks rather like "Creeping Thyme" to me.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG (206.85 KiB) Viewed 5513 times
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:23 pm

Peter could crush a leaf between his fingers and give it a sniff....

Reminds me of an occasion when I was a primary school teacher about thirty years ago. I had taken a party of kids into Wales and we were walking along a nature trail (beside the lake at Llanberis) when I spotted some wild mint. I plucked a piece and stuck it under my nose, to show the assembled group of children. Immediately, they did the same - apart from one child who picked a leaf, shoved it under his nose and yelled in pain. He'd mistaken a nettle for mint.....

No doubt these days I'd be sued by his parents for not doing a proper risk assessment...

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:18 pm

I guess mint and nettle do bear a striking resemblance to each other if you're a youngster. A nettle under a redcurrant bush caught me out yesterday, the resemblance there is only a passing one - and I'm no younster!

That is definitely creeping thyme Peter. It's great ground cover, quite pretty and easy to grow but................................... it does tend to creep! Mine has crept all the way across the track in several places in only 8 weeks!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:07 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:18 pm it does tend to creep! Mine has crept all the way across the track in several places in only 8 weeks!
Like this you mean,Andrew? :D
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG (225.44 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:03 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:34 pm Not much happening here at the moment, poor weather recently and not a kit in sight!
I did a quick inspection of the railway to check on plant growth, storm damage etc. and discovered this......
IMG_7448.JPG
Natural creeper (?) of some sort growing quite realistically up the rear wall of the disused forge, if you wanted it to it would never happen!
Like the roof on the building Peter. It does look just like a sagging roof on a real building. Was it done intentionally.

I suspect that the plant was some seed from a bird :roll:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:35 am

Thank you all from the RHS and garden railway enthusiasts too. The plant is one of several I bought at a local garden centre simply because it stated on the pot that it would spread and not grow to be tall. Whatever it is seems unimportant to me as long as it looks the part. I am so pleased with the way it has started to cover the wall, just as it would appear on any abandoned full size structure.
Rod, the dip in the roof is definitely intentional as it represents an old and abandoned forge, unused for many years. I wanted to see whether I could re-create the appearance so this is how I constructed the roof support before adding the slates, some of which are slipping.......
IMG_4514.JPG
IMG_4514.JPG (153.76 KiB) Viewed 5442 times
IMG_4515.JPG
IMG_4515.JPG (135.13 KiB) Viewed 5442 times
IMG_4583.JPG
IMG_4583.JPG (130.42 KiB) Viewed 5442 times
IMG_4585.JPG
IMG_4585.JPG (127.05 KiB) Viewed 5442 times

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:06 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:35 am Rod, the dip in the roof is definitely intentional as it represents an old and abandoned forge, unused for many years.
Brilliant stuff.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:01 am

Has Andy stated Peter.
That is truly a work of art, that would grace anywhere it was placed. One day I hope to achieve something resembling your work.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:14 pm

I like that very much!

I'm also tempted to have a go at emulating it at some point - a gradually collapsing farm building would look just right next to my line, I think...

It must have been tricky to get the two halves of the sagging roof to meet in the middle - complex geometry or trial and error?

Cheers,

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:39 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:14 pm

It must have been tricky to get the two halves of the sagging roof to meet in the middle - complex geometry or trial and error?

Andrew
Thanks Andrew,
just trial and error.... I don't do complex!
In reality not too difficult at all as the plastikard is easy to bend into shape and welds together quickly to form a strong joint. Once one side is positioned the second can be scribed against it. It is also well braced inside to give additional support.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 pm

These days I don't go to too much trouble to add interior detail to carriages I build, generally they would be too far away, or at an inconvenient height, to inspect closely. I always fit seating, and a few passengers as required, to make them look used, but little else.
But.... thirty years ago, when I was out on the exhibition circuit, things were different. Layouts were close enough to the audience so that people could inspect everything, and they expected to see fully fitted interiors, particularly in this scale.
I have just decided to make alterations to one of my early vehicles which required removal of the fixed roof.....
IMG_3671.JPG
IMG_3671.JPG (160.09 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
IMG_3672.JPG
IMG_3672.JPG (152.17 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
IMG_3673.JPG
IMG_3673.JPG (125.32 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
As you can see, the roof has warped and some adhesive is showing, so it had to go.
This exposed the interior, which represents the Director's Saloon complete with home comforts, artworks, plush seating, food, drinks, and lighting (non working). There is a private toilet towards the front (not detailed) and other little luxuries. It was made so the glazing is removable and I will replace that too. This has allowed me to photograph through the window aperture and gives views not usually accessible......
IMG_7515.JPG
IMG_7515.JPG (109.39 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
IMG_7516.JPG
IMG_7516.JPG (117.99 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
IMG_7510.JPG
IMG_7510.JPG (108.36 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
IMG_7519.JPG
IMG_7519.JPG (105.22 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
IMG_7521.JPG
IMG_7521.JPG (110.93 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
IMG_7510.JPG
IMG_7510.JPG (108.36 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
I am in the process of making a new roof as well as fitting a second motor bogie to the rear of the carriage. I found that the Lima motor bogie, under the tender, is not powerful enough to move the model, even though it was sufficient on the indoor layout. However, I have had to make changes to it from track power to 12v battery housed in a trailing wagon, thereby adding weight.
More to follow.
Last edited by Peter Butler on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:28 am

I like the convex curves on the lower sections of the coach body, not easy to build like that I would of thought. Nice build inside as well.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:19 am

Another masterpiece, Peter. I don't recall having seen this one before.

A Director's Saloon is on my to-do list, but I doubt mine (when I get around to it) will be anywhere near as elaborate. I can blame the impecunious state of the PLR finances .....

Rik
------------------------