Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Yes Paul, I agree about the instructions being a little vague, although originally I put it down to my own inexperience with making kits and my lack of knowledge when it comes to technical terms of the prototype. I have varied from the suggested sequence too as I didn't want any of the doors to open, neither did I want to fit the outer overlays in place until after painting. Today I have struggled to work out a section which described how to make parts from raw materials without any description of their final purpose or location. Eventually I resorted to the excellent drawing by Nigel Town, published in the 16mm Association Guide to the Ffestiniog Railway, which has helped me enormously.
I still rate the kit highly as it is well detailed and produced. To be able to manufacture something as intricate as that is a great skill in itself and requires much planning, so hats off to Lineside Hut for that.
Clearly there is still some way for me to go before it is finished as no bogies, wheels or buffers are supplied. There is no description of the wheel diameter or ride height so the 16mm drawings answer that. The handrail at the front/back (? not clarified), is very delicate and needs replacing with brass, which I'm in the process of doing now. The one supplied appears to be far too low anyway so it will be improved with a replacement, also I will add some bolt detail on the frame which is shown on the drawing.
I'm still undecided about colour as it will not be a true scale model of the prototype, as long as it looks well with my other stock I will be content.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:25 am

I am content when I do anything with our line Peter.

Love where you have placed those street light’s also, they all look just perfect….

(Having a bit of an issue with my eyes this morning) not checking on what I have written first………. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 am

Just catching up after a few days away without internet. Those photos of the village after the rain shower are so realistic, Peter. The sheen on the pavement really adds to the atmosphere. The positioning of the buildings and colouring looks so natural. Hats off to you sir, not only for your modelling skills, but also for the vision needed to visualise the whole scene when you made that initial cut into the first piece of plasticard.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Wow, Peter! I had to look twice to be sure of the scale :shock: Well domne indeed :thumbright:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:27 am

Congratulations on the village Peter, really well thought out and beautifully executed, and what better than a rainy day to photograph a Welsh village :lol:
I'm following your build for the Lineside Hut kits as well. I bought a couple of their wagon kits at Llanfair, but haven't started them yet.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Meanwhile, back to the CRV kit which is progressing well. The roof is now complete with all strips carefully laid in accordance with the instructions, no problems encountered and everything in its place. It is essential that the cradle supplied is used to hold everything square while the glue sets. The cradle itself is very flimsy and light so I added an extra plywood base which helps.....
IMG_5885.JPG
IMG_5885.JPG (431.97 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
After sanding the wooden strips, the material is now attached to the roof top to give the canvas appearance, although as the prototype has a white roof, black material is supplied! Instead I used white curtain lining, which is probably the same material anyway?
Additional detail has also been added following the 16mm Association drawing, this shows sturdy angle brackets supporting the truss rods which I made from brass angle, not the strip supplied in the kit, also bolt heads along the chassis frame and headstock....
IMG_5889.JPG
IMG_5889.JPG (77.1 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
Tomorrow, a new balcony end with handrail more to scale and stronger than the original will be finished and fitted, then to the paint shop!

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Everybody else has already said it - but your 'Village in the rain' pictures are extraordinary.

I particularly like the fourth one, appearing to look up hill towards the 'weeping angel' in front of the clock tower (which is facing the other way this time. Spooky). The wet road, blokes in doorways checking the weather after the shower, drainpipe in foreground, lean-to with corrugated roof, patchy rendering, trees in background... totally convincing, especially without the cars, I think.

Wonderful.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:10 pm

BertieB wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 pm Everybody else has already said it - but your 'Village in the rain' pictures are extraordinary.

I particularly like the fourth one, appearing to look up hill towards the 'weeping angel' in front of the clock tower (which is facing the other way this time. Spooky). The wet road, blokes in doorways checking the weather after the shower, drainpipe in foreground, lean-to with corrugated roof, patchy rendering, trees in background... totally convincing, especially without the cars, I think.

Wonderful.
Many thanks for your kind remarks, I'm pleased you approve! I had to look back to see what you mean about the clock tower and agree that it looks as though it has turned, however, it is because of the angle of the pedestrianised road in conjunction with the High Street which makes it look that way. True, I did initially have it facing at 90 degrees to its present view but thought it would better serve the visitors and residents if it was showing to the shopping area. A minor detail but important to them no doubt!
Incidentally, the 'weeping angel' is in fact the 'Angel of the West', my homage to Antony Gormley, who I worked with many years ago before he became a superstar sculptor.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:34 am

I actually like Peter’s cars…..

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:46 pm
Tomorrow, a new balcony end with handrail more to scale and stronger than the original will be finished and fitted, then to the paint shop!
And here it is....
IMG_5891.JPG
IMG_5891.JPG (72.59 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
Compare this with the original and there is a striking difference. However, I can understand why when the laser cut is so thin it needs to be as small as possible to have any chance of survival.....

IMG_5890.JPG
IMG_5890.JPG (74.89 KiB) Viewed 4112 times

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 pm

I've always admired this van, unfortunately nothing like it existed down here. Another great build Peter.
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:29 am

Lovely work as always, Peter.

On a different subject, I hope you are OK in the awful weather your part of the world is having? (Now you'll find out just how good your village drains really are!)
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:45 am

Thats a nice job and it does make the original look very flimsy.

We also had very strong winds and the rain was relentless…Anne put a couple of birdhouses on the line just to see how they looked….they were the only things that didn’t get blown away…… :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:45 am

philipy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:29 am

I hope you are OK in the awful weather your part of the world is having? (Now you'll find out just how good your village drains really are!)
The weather has been wild over the past couple of days, torrential rain and winds to bring oak tree branches down. I had enough warning to put the village away inside a shed, otherwise it would be in bits by now! The volume of water in the streams shows how heavy the rain has been.....
IMG_5895.JPG
IMG_5895.JPG (147.34 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
During the dry spell this waterfall had flow similar to a dripping tap.....
IMG_5893.JPG
IMG_5893.JPG (154.54 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
As for the railway, I am delighted to say I am impressed with the drains which seem to be fully operational. Compare the village street with the adjacent footpath which has become a lake.....
IMG_5898.JPG
IMG_5898.JPG (151.39 KiB) Viewed 4074 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:26 am

Wow Peter, that’s a stream…….

The drains have really done their work here, they have diverted all the water to the path…..

Seriously Peter, they are a brilliant job….Worthy of “Build of the Year” for me….

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Just in case anyone wondered what I have been up to during the past couple of weeks, I have concentrated on my passenger stock builds. The initial four compartment carriage from Lineside Hut looked so good (to me) I ordered another set of sides and ends and carried out my intention of cutting the sides in half to make 2, two compartment coaches.....
IMG_5902.JPG
IMG_5902.JPG (156.27 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
The interiors have been fitted with the Lineside Hut seating and passengers from a Chinese supplier.....
IMG_5903.JPG
IMG_5903.JPG (130.67 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
IMG_5904.JPG
IMG_5904.JPG (123.46 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
The four compartment carriage has also been populated.....
IMG_5905.JPG
IMG_5905.JPG (154.52 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
The CRV has progressed with all overlays now in place and decals on order to finish off the exterior. I have to say how impressed I have been with the quality of material and the way everything fits perfectly, even if the instructions have been slightly challenging. From the start I had no intention of making any of the doors open (although they can be made to do so) and it has built into a very strong vehicle which looks most convincing......
IMG_5908.JPG
IMG_5908.JPG (135.38 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
IMG_5907.JPG
IMG_5907.JPG (138.61 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
IMG_5900.JPG
IMG_5900.JPG (156.6 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
Currently adding bogies and step to the four comp. then only the roof to add.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:55 pm

Magnificent paint and assembly work, Peter. I've always been an admirer of these types of coachwork with the separate overlays. Yours will be a beautiful passenger set, especially ending in the curly roofed van.
Grant.

Clockwork
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Clockwork » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:43 am

Excellent craftsmanship Peter such beautiful coaches you are modelling. Looking forward to seeing them completed. :thumbleft:
Kevin :thumbleft:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:17 am

Fantastic builds Peter…I want them…. :lol: :lol:

Who is the Chinese supplier please….

Paul_A_C
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_A_C » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:33 am

Superb models Peter. The paint finish is top quality. Your progress has put me to shame as my W&LLR Brake van has stalled because life has gotten in the way and will do so for a few more days at least :(.