Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:36 am It would be wonderful to meet up again Rik, you would be most welcome. I have a special reason to get the railway looking at its best as soon as the weather improves and a perfect opportunity to record the line in action with all of the recent stock builds.
The 3D figures are the best available IMHO and so reasonably priced too. I have just placed an order for more and the range is increasing constantly.
I'll be in touch. Not sure when it will be, yet. Need to sort it out with the Domestic Authorities, but will PM when I know more.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:16 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:41 am Rik,
Pleeease remember to take your video camera, because, with Peters' consent of course, we would all love to see not only this new loco, but many of Peter's productions in motion.
With Peter's approval, I will definitely shoot and post some footage.
Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:12 pm

Rik, you are most welcome to visit, especially with your camera! The video which you took and expertly edited since your previous visit is here.... www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHWWkVZi1p8
It would be wonderful to see another showing my 'mix and match' stock.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Take your Regner this time Rik :thumbup:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Not content with just one vertical boilered loco I set about building, or rather re-building, a second. This one is a previous construction from some years ago when I made it to go with my Emett stock. It wasn't a pure Emett, just 'in the style of', and although it looked OK and ran well, being battery powered and manually controlled in forward and reverse via a speed controller operated by twisting the chimney cap, I was never totally happy with it for some reason.
This is how it looked before.....
IMG_1696.JPG
IMG_1696.JPG (131.1 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
Unfortunately I can't find a picture of it complete with driver figure which stood about six inches tall to match my other Emett stock.
I decided the figure should go and the bodywork reduced in height, so another candidate for a trip to the bandsaw.....
IMG_6179.JPG
IMG_6179.JPG (97.14 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
IMG_6181.JPG
IMG_6181.JPG (94.79 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
With the top of the bunker (still containing the coal) re-attached it went to the paint-shop.....
IMG_6182.JPG
IMG_6182.JPG (99.5 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
The chimney still looked too tall, particularly when placed side by side with the other vertical boiler, so another surgical procedure too place and the top replaced about 2cm lower.....
IMG_6190.JPG
IMG_6190.JPG (99.79 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
After all this I discovered I hadn't still got any of the original yellow spray paint so I had to mix acrylics until it looked a match, followed by lining with a felt tip marker, as I had also run out of lining tape!.....
IMG_6186.JPG
IMG_6186.JPG (134.22 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
You might not think there is much difference but I can assure you they sit better together now.....
IMG_6187.JPG
IMG_6187.JPG (143.84 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
IMG_6188.JPG
IMG_6188.JPG (140.61 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
With the addition of a driver (on order) and new RC Trains receiver (waiting for stock) all will be well.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:06 pm

Smart! :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:28 pm

Indeed. I can still remember the Emett railway you exhibited at Warley many years ago. I kept going back to it. All my friends couldn't understand me as usually I am known for prototypical accuracy as much as possible but I thought it was the best layout there by far.
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Thank you Ian, that's nice to hear and I'm glad you enjoyed the experience.
I can assure you the layout was as prototypical as I could possibly make it!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:47 am

IanC wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:28 pm Indeed. I can still remember the Emett railway you exhibited at Warley many years ago. I kept going back to it. All my friends couldn't understand me as usually I am known for prototypical accuracy as much as possible but I thought it was the best layout there by far.
The slightly bonkers has its appeal. I think a lot of successful modelling relies on something that is convincing on its own terms, but not necessarily slavishly accurate, or even - at times - remotely prototypical. I am sure there is some sort of a connection between good railway modelling, and story-telling in the sense of the sagas, or good drama, but I cannot quite articulate the thought.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:57 am

What's all this about "prototypical"! who cares! That is some brilliant modelling Peter. Use of everyday items to make a loco that is outstanding in every way. At least you come up with ideas and carry them out mate.

Sorry for the rant Peter, it's one of those days that is getting to me.

You should of put up what you ran out of on my thread about "When you go to" mate. I was thinking I was the only one..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 pm Thank you Ian, that's nice to hear and I'm glad you enjoyed the experience.
I can assure you the layout was as prototypical as I could possibly make it!
Prototypical or not, and I wasn't implying it wasn't, it was brilliant and enjoyable. When I model in OO for others it's me who often strives for accuracy within my modest abilities.
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:04 pm

The only prototype for the layout was from imaginary cartoons by Emett himself and I tried to be faithful to them and give them the credit they deserved.
You might recall the large cartoon illustrations in the background (with publishers consent) to show where the influences originated.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:22 am

Now I do like Emett...... :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:37 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:04 pm The only prototype for the layout was from imaginary cartoons by Emett himself and I tried to be faithful to them and give them the credit they deserved.
You might recall the large cartoon illustrations in the background (with publishers consent) to show where the influences originated.
To be honest Peter it's a distant memory now. (please don't remind me how long ago it is as I know I'm getting old), but I know it's not recent. I'd certainly love to see the layout again if it exists. If not, perhaps you could share some pictures on a thread on here, or another forum if you have any?
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:45 pm

Great looking rebuild, Peter. It certainly looks the part alongside your latest creation.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:58 pm

I agree with you Rik. They must be in with a chance of Models Of The Year....

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:13 pm

IanC wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:37 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:04 pm The only prototype for the layout was from imaginary cartoons by Emett himself and I tried to be faithful to them and give them the credit they deserved.
I'd certainly love to see the layout again if it exists. If not, perhaps you could share some pictures on a thread on here?
As far as I am aware the layout still exist and is in the collection of Warley MRC who owned the original stock and set me the task of displaying it on a layout of my own design. I hope there will be opportunities to show it at exhibitions in the future but it is not to everyone's taste...... no layout ever could be!
I do have photographs, although on 35mm prints, so if I can copy some I will put on another thread.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:13 pm
IanC wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:37 pm
I'd certainly love to see the layout again if it exists. If not, perhaps you could share some pictures on a thread on here?
As far as I am aware the layout still exist and is in the collection of Warley MRC who owned the original stock and set me the task of displaying it on a layout of my own design. I hope there will be opportunities to show it at exhibitions in the future but it is not to everyone's taste...... no layout ever could be!
I do have photographs, although on 35mm prints, so if I can copy some I will put on another thread.
Thank you Peter. Yes, no doubt the rivet counters and purists will be horrified, but I will enjoy it, and I wouldn't mind betting a lot of others will. Even if they won't admit it.
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:00 am

I can't wait to see it Peter. I love a good layout and like IanC, I hope the rivet counters and the like get :protest: about it.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:33 pm

Now that my vertical boilered loco, 'Snail' has been reduced in scale I put the old driver figure next to the new one to see the difference. Looking at the picture it seems as though the larger one is superimposed but he really is standing next to the loco.......
IMG_6205.JPG
IMG_6205.JPG (94.2 KiB) Viewed 6391 times
Quite a difference between the scales of my BURPS stock and the Emetts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time for something different.
Some years ago I installed two inclines for my disused stone quarry workings. Since then the ballast has gradually washed away down the slope revealing the underlay. It was time to fix the problem but the cause is the fact that dropping loose ballast on a slope and expecting it, and the SBR, to stay put is asking too much.
Time for a re-think on design options and the solution is to make the trackwork and ballast on a flat, horizontal surface first and then apply to the incline when finished. So a black, 1mm thick HIP sheet was cut to size and the track laid on long, raised strips of HIP sleeper strip which was grained, painted and weathered.....
IMG_6200.JPG
IMG_6200.JPG (92.47 KiB) Viewed 6391 times
IMG_6201.JPG
IMG_6201.JPG (150.66 KiB) Viewed 6391 times
As can be seen, the HIP has been scored to give the SBR a 'key' and mix of fine ballast and waterproof cement applied and well soaked in neat SBR and left to dry.....
IMG_6204.JPG
IMG_6204.JPG (180.48 KiB) Viewed 6391 times
Looks alarming when it is wet but will dry clear.... eventually!
The two sites for the bases, when ready, look like this and they just slide down on top......
IMG_6203.JPG
IMG_6203.JPG (195.78 KiB) Viewed 6391 times
IMG_6202.JPG
IMG_6202.JPG (193.47 KiB) Viewed 6391 times