Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
chrispearce
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by chrispearce » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:42 am

Well my giddy aunt! Stap me vitals etc. Have just read through this entire thread and what a brilliant railway! Stunning.
More strength to your already apparently very strong arm Sir. :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:02 pm

Well thank you Chris, you are a brave man to take on my version of 'War and Peace' and survive. I am pleased to hear you are impressed and hope you get all the help you need from other members of the Forum. They are a friendly and supportive group.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:49 pm

I have commented on the thread by Mitch concerning his PDF 3D Baldwin build and have mentioned my current Hunslet build from the same company. I won't hi-jack his story but can show progress so far on my own.
Only recently I built an earlier made Hunslet 'Alice class' kit from PDF which was entirely printed, however, their production method has altered considerably since then and this 'Port class' kit is a much better option, having more laser cut HIP parts for the cab, chassis and footplate. Everything fits perfectly and the printed parts, boiler, cylinders, saddle tank, firebox and smokebox (incl. chimney) are the only pieces to rub down to a satisfactory surface for painting.
It is well worth the effort to spend time on these prominent sections in order to get best results.
There are options available when ordering the kit..... eg. short or tall chimney, plastic or metal gears, but others are available if you ask. I wanted metal wheels, at extra cost (plastic are now the ones supplied) and a 12v motor...... not a problem! You also get a 4 x AA battery holder and a DPDT switch included.
'Cambrian' rivet heads and cab detailing parts are included so I attached these to the bodywork and firebox.
I spent some time preparing the parts for paint so little to see there, once sprayed I added lining tape (Trimline) and a spray lacquer to keep it in place.....
IMG_7064.JPG
IMG_7064.JPG (81.01 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
IMG_7065.JPG
IMG_7065.JPG (85.4 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
IMG_7066.JPG
IMG_7066.JPG (75.66 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
The boiler and firebox were filed out to accept a 4 x 4 AA rechargeable battery pack.....
IMG_7070.JPG
IMG_7070.JPG (94.85 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
IMG_7071.JPG
IMG_7071.JPG (84.95 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
The chassis can be painted before assembly and is bolted together using the printed spacer blocks provided....

IMG_7068.JPG
IMG_7068.JPG (86.18 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
I mounted a single pole on-off-on switch under the cab and a charge point at the rear using a plastic tunnel to conceal the wiring into the firebox. This will be hidden by the driver and fireman (from 3D Design Scan Print) which are currently on order.
Not included in the kit are handrail knobs or buffers. This leaves the builder free to choose so I have fitted brass knobs and brass handrail to continue around the chimney. Also, I have replaced the springs with plastic moulded ones I had from an unknown source. I also replaced the printed spectacles for brass ones, which look better.

IMG_7072.JPG
IMG_7072.JPG (96.84 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
IMG_7073.JPG
IMG_7073.JPG (101.59 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
Up to present time it is a running loco using Deltang receiver and RC Trains controller and just waiting for final detailing.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:42 am

Beautiful surface preparation and paintwork as usual Peter.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:36 am

Another finely finished model, Peter.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 am

Very nice Peter.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:22 pm

Wow. Beautifully done. Love the cab windows; and interior; and...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:53 pm

Further progress today.... the handrails and springs previously mentioned are in these pictures, along with the buffer beams, cab steps and Binnie buffers. Also, the nameplate 'Alice', offered for sale on eBay just days ago, is now attached.
I will give the whole thing a light spray with matt lacquer to cut back the high gloss finish. I have used this method before and it gives a nicer overall appearance...
IMG_7076.JPG
IMG_7076.JPG (106.21 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
IMG_7074.JPG
IMG_7074.JPG (96.3 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
IMG_7075.JPG
IMG_7075.JPG (104.36 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
Still waiting for the two 3D printed figures to arrive but I have the cab roof to form first.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:06 pm

Now 'Alice' is finished (except for driver) I have introduced her to the garden railway, just a short run as there is so much crud on the line it wouldn't be possible to do the full circuit. With the additional batteries on board (8 instead of the 4 holder supplied) it has better traction and responds really well to the Deltang control system. Not fast by any means, but proto-typically smooth with ample pulling power.
IMG_7090.JPG
IMG_7090.JPG (128.22 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
IMG_7088.JPG
IMG_7088.JPG (145.12 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
IMG_7077.JPG
IMG_7077.JPG (144.03 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
Now we are confined to home I can see another kit joining the fleet any time soon.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:26 pm

Very nice Peter, as always! :D
Philip

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:54 pm

Pretty as a picture.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:27 am

A great addition to the line, Peter. Are you going to add a gallery to the slate quarry for her?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:01 am

ge_rik wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:27 am A great addition to the line, Peter. Are you going to add a gallery to the slate quarry for her?

Rik
Oooh, naughty naughty Rik! :roll:
I got in trouble when I suggested something similar many moons ago and caused Peter more work!
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:31 am

That's true Philip, but it worked out well. Having searched through my photo files it is interesting to see how long ago it was....
Building began here in June 2014....
IMG_2104.JPG
IMG_2104.JPG (184.37 KiB) Viewed 3976 times
From a simple siding plan a full blown quarry site emerged complete with inclines and winding house. It all adds to the visitor attraction on my tourist line.....
IMG_4853.JPG
IMG_4853.JPG (197.33 KiB) Viewed 3976 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:36 am

She looks brilliant Peter. Those little extras have made her look very proud and regal. Your attention for detail inspires me to try to do the same, but alas I don't come close to you.

Thanks also for reminding us about your Quarry build. It's got to be one of the best I have seen.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:48 pm

I think I remember reading in one of Peter Jones' books about maintenance of a garden railway and how much time could be occupied just keeping it tidy. Over the past couple of days I have been reminded of this as I was on my hands and knees clearing out all of the accumulated crud from between the rails and down the drains.....
IMG_7093.JPG
IMG_7093.JPG (157.43 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
IMG_7094.JPG
IMG_7094.JPG (211.67 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
IMG_7095.JPG
IMG_7095.JPG (207.68 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
It certainly proves the efficiency of the drainage system as the water managed to carry away so much surface muck yet not block the pipes, I must brush the covers more frequently next year. The soil over the tracks is the after effects of rabbits digging for something?
When visitors ask about the 'extension'..... the answer is well rehearsed, enough is enough!
I still need to pull out the bush which was blown over by storm Dennis, I will try to plant it elsewhere in the hope there is enough root for it to take.
There was so much clearance to do I decided to enlist the help of a good and trusted friend, Henry was given the job of removing loose ballast etc. from the trackwork and points, many of which were locked in position with the grit trapped beneath the tie-bar.....
IMG_7097.JPG
IMG_7097.JPG (195.77 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
On the plus side, the points which are cable operated work perfectly. The one point which is rod operated is jammed due to the crank being seized in its housing. This has happened before and I managed to free it with oil.
Eventually I managed to get a train running and gave the honour to the new girl, 'Alice', who ran sweetly hauling the Jerry Irwin coaches built during the winter.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:40 am

Our lines are certainly high maintenance Peter. But all your hard work is well worth it when we see such a brilliant line. :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:35 am

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:48 pm I think I remember reading in one of Peter Jones' books about maintenance of a garden railway and how much time could be occupied just keeping it tidy.
I recall that too - I think I remember an article when he put a ratio on the amount of time that should ideally be spent maintaining what you've already made compared to the time spent building new stuff. I don't remember what the numbers were, but I know I've got them wrong! The idea of spending an evening or two mending the coaches I've already got is far less appealing than spending six months building a new one!

Glad you've got your line running again. Do post some photos of Alice in action, it's a lovely model.

All the best,

Andrew.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:00 am

High maintenance or not, it looks great!

I actually quite enjoy the maintenance side of things.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:23 pm

Andrew, I found my Peter Jones book, 'Garden Railway Guides No 1' and read it through this afternoon but found no reference to the ratio of time spent on maintenance compared to operation and building new items for garden railways. It is annoying to know we both remember the article but not the figures. How many other Peter Jones books are out there?