Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Andrew

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:50 am

Very nice! And yes, the curves are great...

If you're looking for something to replicate the buttoned upholstery, I've recently discovered that some plastic punnets of soft fruit come with a thin layer of textured foam at the bottom which really looks the part when painted...

While I'm here, I've never known how to pronounce "Brougham" - "bruff-am"? "Brow-ham"? Any pointers welcome!

Cheers,

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:01 am

According to Wikipedia this is what they suggest.....

Brougham: (pronounced broam - like foam - in the USA and broom - that you sweep with - in the United Kingdom).

I have also heard it described as.... broo-em, but there may be regional differences?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:12 pm

I've always thought it was " broo-um" but if said quickly I guess that would shorten to "broom"
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:00 pm

Reminds me of 'ghoti' pronounced 'fish'

gh as in cough
o as in women
ti as in dictionary

It was attributed to George Bernard Shaw, but I think it actually predated him

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:03 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:50 am
If you're looking for something to replicate the buttoned upholstery, I've recently discovered that some plastic punnets of soft fruit come with a thin layer of textured foam at the bottom which really looks the part when painted...
Thanks Andrew, I was trying to think of something to mimic the upholstery but couldn't, your idea sounds good. However, I just had no time to wait so by the end of yesterday evening I had already cut and scribed all of the interior panels from HIP.....
IMG_8098.JPG
IMG_8098.JPG (99.47 KiB) Viewed 3773 times
I will paint them to see whether they are adequate to be installed and are acceptable behind the glazing. I doubt the model police will even notice!

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:00 pm

There's a village near Skipton called Barnoldswick, pronounced Bar-lick, and the station beyond Huddersfield is called Slaithwaite, pronounced Slaa-witt! Must be a Yorkshire thing. Ey up cock!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:50 pm

Not only Yorkshire. There's a village near here in Cheshire called Cholmondeley pronounced Chumley and another called Wybunbury pronounced Winbry.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:14 pm

Then there is Wymondham pronounced Windum in Norfolk... Towcester pronounced Toaster in Northants, not to mention Igtham pronounced Item in Kent!
Thats without all the totally unpronounceable Welsh ones. :lol:
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:45 pm

The Welsh ones would occupy a whole thread on their own.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:21 am

Sorry, aye owpend a kan ov wirms thayr...

And, to get back on topic, I reckon your upholstery looks just right Peter!

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:15 pm

Near us we have the village of Lympne - pronounced Limm.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:57 am

philipy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:14 pm Thats without all the totally unpronounceable Welsh ones. :lol:
Actually, once I learned the Welsh alphabet, as an English speaker used to all the weird homophones, one of the things that pleasantly surprised me is how Welsh is always pronounced exactly as it is written (the one letter that seems to be an exception being 'y' which has a triple function). Another common misconception is Welsh doesn't have many vowels - in fact it has more than English!

On the other hand, it has mutations - which I find an absolute nightmare!

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:28 pm

We have a Welsh friend who is very proud of being able to speak Welsh as well as English, and is aggresively protective of the Welsh language. Having said that, she fell about laughing when I (deliberately) mispronounced Heddlu (Police) as " Head lice" , something which she'd never seen the similarity of before. :lol:
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:45 pm

Somewhere in this thread I was talking about my latest build. Just to remind you, it is a Brougham carriage which will be mounted on a flat wagon (suitable kit on order from Jerry Irwin) and placed behind my horsebox.
Previously I showed it in basic construction but it has moved on, now having beading on the passenger panels, rear springs and axle fitted and wheels temporarily placed for photographic purposes......
IMG_8104.JPG
IMG_8104.JPG (101 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
IMG_8105.JPG
IMG_8105.JPG (113.87 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
I'm hoping tomorrow will be warm enough in the shed to allow me to spray the first primer coat.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:46 am

That's coming on well Peter.
How did you do the beading around the curved bottom edges? I always find it difficult to get it to sit actually at the edge rather than slightly over or under.
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:20 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:45 pm Somewhere in this thread I was talking about my latest build.
:lol:
Previously I showed it in basic construction but it has moved on, now having beading on the passenger panels, rear springs and axle fitted and wheels temporarily placed for photographic purposes......
That is starting to look very fine!
I'm hoping tomorrow will be warm enough in the shed to allow me to spray the first primer coat.
As you know spray painting is not my favourite job, it makes me nervous! Wanting to be sure I don't mess it up I've been running a space heater when I've needed to paint just to be absolutely sure it's warm and dry enough but I don't know if this is always necessary. If you don't mind me mining your experience, how warm is 'warm enough'? For example my shed right now is 15.4°C and the rh is 64% - would you spray in those conditions?

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:43 am

SimonWood wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:20 am As you know spray painting is not my favourite job, it makes me nervous! Wanting to be sure I don't mess it up I've been running a space heater when I've needed to paint just to be absolutely sure it's warm and dry enough but I don't know if this is always necessary. If you don't mind me mining your experience, how warm is 'warm enough'? For example my shed right now is 15.4°C and the rh is 64% - would you spray in those conditions?
Simon, I understand your concerns, I like to ensure an ambient temperature of above 12 degrees C, as for RH, I understand that professional vehicle sprayers keep the moisture up to keep spray dust down, and I would think 64% RH is pretty good, as most houses are 55 - 65% RH.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:22 am

philipy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:46 am That's coming on well Peter.
How did you do the beading around the curved bottom edges? I always find it difficult to get it to sit actually at the edge rather than slightly over or under.
The beading is Slater's .20 x .40 Microstrip which I carefully pull through my fingers at an angle so a curve is established before I apply it. I fix one end and allow it to set enough to hold before moving along its length, following the curve as I go.
SimonWood wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:20 am
As you know spray painting is not my favourite job, it makes me nervous! Wanting to be sure I don't mess it up I've been running a space heater when I've needed to paint just to be absolutely sure it's warm and dry enough but I don't know if this is always necessary. If you don't mind me mining your experience, how warm is 'warm enough'? For example my shed right now is 15.4°C and the rh is 64% - would you spray in those conditions?
I have little patience so I take chances occasionally when painting. If possible I spray in a shed which is insulated, so never freezing. But, I have been known to spray outdoors, even in cold weather, quickly taking the model inside the house to warm up and dry. I always heat the spray can on a radiator before spraying and try to warm the model too..... Speed is important.
Several light coats are better than one thick coat and dry faster too. I often use a clear lacquer to finish, so slight imperfections on surfaces disappear.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:12 pm

First coat of paint this morning. Plastic primer in two light coats, done in my shed and brought into the house to dry after about 20 minutes. No hurry this time as the temperature was OK .......
IMG_8107.JPG
IMG_8107.JPG (108.55 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
IMG_8109.JPG
IMG_8109.JPG (121.72 KiB) Viewed 4007 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:27 pm

Are those curlicues above the springs made of metal or plastic? They look just right however you've formed them.

Rik
------------------------