Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by FWLR » Sat May 01, 2021 8:31 am

I love them. Brilliant detailing as usual from you Peter. You do set high standards for us, which one day I may get to achieve.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat May 01, 2021 11:43 am

I think that's it Rik, good to know, well done.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat May 01, 2021 11:59 am

georgesheppard wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:41 pm The rivet detail really makes this model! I love the great western detailing on the payload wagon.

Post by philipy » Sat May 01, 2021 4:40 am

I'm slightly bemused by the livery of the load wagon. I realise that the BURPS is a preservation line and being your railway Rule 1 applies, but surely no preservation group would paint a GWR vehicle in a greenish shade, with a loco livery style "Great Western" and none of its correct wagon markings!

You can't please everyone!

The next one will be pink!

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sat May 01, 2021 12:47 pm

I have a Grand Daughter who will be well-impressed, if it is, Peter!

Phil.P

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat May 01, 2021 2:35 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:59 am The next one will be pink!
Following the principle that there is a prototype for everything..........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/87791108@N00/4140437880

The loco is now running in preservation, but the preservation group don't have a sense of humour and have repainted it into something resembling the old VR blue and gold livery.

Graeme

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:52 pm

I feel as though I have just woken from a long and enforced hibernation, the last post added to this thread (by Graeme) was dated Saturday, May 1st. and the last time I was able to show my railway fully dressed was Friday, October 9th. (2020) when I removed all my structures for the winter storage.
Since that time I have been concentrating on kit building, which was covered on the Forum between those dates, but nothing has been done to the railway itself until recently. When I eventually decided to tackle the jungle which had enveloped the site I was amazed how the weeds had taken hold, we have experienced an early warm spell which got the weeds started, followed by a huge amount of rain to feed them. Something had to be done, so out with the hedge clippers, on with the gloves and battle commenced. The worst part was digging out Buttercups with long roots, they love it here! By the time I had removed the weeds, over a period of five days, I had filled eight wheelbarrow loads of clippings and weeds, next came the first tidying with dustpan and brush, finally a full track vacuum with my helpful assistant, Henry.
At last the village is back on site and the BURPS is open for business......
IMG_8371.JPG
IMG_8371.JPG (175.28 KiB) Viewed 4963 times
IMG_8376.JPG
IMG_8376.JPG (186.23 KiB) Viewed 4963 times
As you can see, no trains have yet made a first run as I only managed to reach this point at 9pm, by which time I had achieved my target for the day. If we have a fine day tomorrow I will play trains, but only for test purposes you understand!
Up to now most of my new stock hasn't moved on rails, so this will put them to the test.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:56 am

Lovely to see it all looking good again Peter.
You are a long way ahead of me in getting things straight. After the foul weather back in April/May there were so many other jobs that had to be done in the garden, and life in general, that my railway was forced into the back seat. I haven't managed to clip the Lonicera under the raised track yet and Bench Hall hasn't even had it's lower storey lifting flaps re-attached. I reckon it'll be Autumn again by the time everything is ready!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:01 am

Good to see BURPS back in action, Peter

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:21 am

Still looks mighty impressive Peter, in fact it looks even better now I feel.

I was up until 10.40 last night and it was still light up here...

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:13 am

Looking forward to seeing your new rolling stock in action. Your layout looks great!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:52 am

philipy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:56 am After the foul weather back in April/May there were so many other jobs that had to be done in the garden, and life in general, that my railway was forced into the back seat.
That was the situation here too Philip, (thread drift alert!...) the priority was to re-build greenhouse bases which were collapsing due to rotten timbers. This required the removal of all glass, frames, original base material, shuttering construction, concrete mixing and pouring, new decking, re-building of greenhouses and construction of new staging .... all times two!
Between the gales and torrential rain this took longer than anticipated, so Diane's seeding and plants were inevitably affected......
IMG_8364.JPG
IMG_8364.JPG (155.12 KiB) Viewed 4931 times
IMG_8365.JPG
IMG_8365.JPG (164.89 KiB) Viewed 4931 times
All done now, so on with the railway saga.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:52 pm

A beautiful day here today and a very pleasant surprise visit from a model railway friend. His interest is '00' so no visiting 16mm stock to run, however, the first train of the year made its way around the railway with no problems at all, a most satisfying sight to see.....
IMG_8379.JPG
IMG_8379.JPG (168.33 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
Other recently built stock items also felt the metals moving beneath their 'feet' for the first time and all was well with the miniature world....
IMG_8378.JPG
IMG_8378.JPG (192.85 KiB) Viewed 4896 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:54 pm

Lovely to see the trains out and about again Peter, the new stock looks very well on the layout. You've got a great eye for ensuring that lcos, rolling stock, buildings and scenery all "work" together, I think...

Very impressive greenhouse complex too...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:34 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:52 pm Other recently built stock items also felt the metals moving beneath their 'feet' for the first time and all was well with the miniature world....
Hope the clearances were OK for the transporter wagons ....

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:00 pm

Rik, in answer to your question, during the preparation clean-up I did remove moss clusters from trackside which could possibly have caused a problem. Other than that there are no tight spots and both four wheel and bogie transporters worked well.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:09 pm

Has the weather been too bad to run trains there Peter we have had some nice days when I have been engaged on the ground works. Must get some track down. Looks good

Don

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:20 pm

Yes Don, the weather throughout May has been the wettest on record, and possibly the windiest too, so no access to the railway to remove the weeds which completely covered the track in places. I have never seen the line looking as bad and it needed several dry days to just clear the way, even then the ballast had to be removed from the points and some oiling applied to various moving parts.
As previously described, something has been digging and spreading soil etc. all over the track so running was a non starter until all this was cleared away. We often see rabbits on the railway, so I guess they objected to it being there?

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:06 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:20 pm even then the ballast had to be removed from the points
Yes, similar story here. I've got a set of points that refuse to switch. I think I need to lift them out and find out what is jamming them.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:30 pm

invicta280 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:06 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:20 pm even then the ballast had to be removed from the points
Yes, similar story here. I've got a set of points that refuse to switch. I think I need to lift them out and find out what is jamming them.
I use a fine crushed stone, only about 1mm to dust, but it finds its way between the blades, check rails and running rails, underneath the tie-bar and anywhere else it can hide. Firstly I use a paint brush to try to move it away from all moving parts, then a fine pick and finally a vacuum cleaner. After a little oil it usually does the trick. I would do anything to avoid lifting the point altogether!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:18 am

Great seeing your locos back on your line Peter. I always look forward to seeing them, they give me so much joy when I see them, I can then try and put something on our line also.

Although it does take me ages to get around to it.. :roll: