Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:55 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:27 am Rod, not silly questions at all.... the filler/primer is from Halfords and builds up small depressions in the printing. The grey is ordinary primer. So, dependent on print quality and whether or not the section will be easily seen I have the two choices. No difference in price so they could all be the same.
I usually give a grey primer on top of the filler/primer to accept the top coat of paint.
I will paint top coats on separate sections and hand them to Alan for final assembly, this way he can install the electrics without having to take things apart.
This is just my way of working, I'm sure there are many alternatives.
Thanks Peter. It's very helpful. I have just received the his new Skylark last week. Not opened any of the packaging yet. Maybe some time before I start to build it.....

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:49 pm

I'm very tempted by the 'Skylark' too, a nice looking locomotive. I hope you can post your build on the forum, it would be interesting to see how you get on and what we should be aware of. I'm interested to know how many AA batteries you can fit inside?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:02 pm

Changing the subject yet again, I received my latest kit today from Jerry Irwin, the Corris Brakevan. I love his kits as they are a pleasure to make following the Youtube videos and always result in first class models with superb running in ball bearing bushes. This kit has various options contained in one box: with or without duckets, early or late structural bracing and end panels etc. I haven't yet decided which to do but I have the ability to do a dry-run before I commit myself..... incredible value for money I think......
IMG_7799.JPG
IMG_7799.JPG (118.54 KiB) Viewed 3689 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:17 pm

You lot are making my mouth water with your Skylarks and Corris brake vans, both of which I'm fond of... That does look like a splendid kit, looking forward to seeing how it turns out...

Andrew

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:03 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:02 pm Changing the subject yet again, I received my latest kit today from Jerry Irwin, the Corris Brakevan. I love his kits as they are a pleasure to make following the Youtube videos and always result in first class models with superb running in ball bearing bushes. This kit has various options contained in one box: with or without duckets, early or late structural bracing and end panels etc. I haven't yet decided which to do but I have the ability to do a dry-run before I commit myself..... incredible value for money I think......
IMG_7799.JPG
Peter, I tried to discover more about the Jerry Irwin kits but came up with nothing.
Do you have a link or web address where I can have a look at the kits ?
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Jerry doesn't have a website but his range can be viewed here.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/107486657 ... 8655086333

Jerry is a gardenrails Forum member and can be contacted direct by PM ....'Jerry'
I have sent you his home Email address, which he supplies in all of his kits, (see your PM)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:01 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:02 pm Changing the subject yet again, I received my latest kit today from Jerry Irwin, the Corris Brakevan. I love his kits as they are a pleasure to make following the Youtube videos and always result in first class models with superb running in ball bearing bushes. This kit has various options contained in one box: with or without duckets, early or late structural bracing and end panels etc. I haven't yet decided which to do but I have the ability to do a dry-run before I commit myself..... incredible value for money I think......
IMG_7799.JPG
Looks like your going to be busy with that one Peter, but I know it will turn out to be brilliant as usual from you.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:44 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:02 pm ... incredible value for money I think......
I couldn't see any prices mentioned on Flickr. Is there a price list and are any of his kits available in 45mm gauge?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:12 am

I am not aware of a published price list but Jerry can be contacted directly as shown above. That is the way I get information from Jerry.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:04 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:25 pm Jerry doesn't have a website but his range can be viewed here.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/107486657 ... 8655086333

Jerry is a gardenrails Forum member and can be contacted direct by PM ....'Jerry'
I have sent you his home Email address, which he supplies in all of his kits, (see your PM)
Thankyou. More rolling stock is a desire we have for the POR and the list of potential candidates is growing.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Jerry
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Jerry » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:02 am

Hi,
If you drop me an email to jerry.irwin@homecall.co.uk I will email you a price list.
I am a one man band and have only a limited amount of time but I am always willing to design / produce various wagons at affordable prices and to a high standard.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:20 am

Jerry wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:02 am Hi,
If you drop me an email to jerry.irwin@homecall.co.uk I will email you a price list.
I am a one man band and have only a limited amount of time but I am always willing to design / produce various wagons at affordable prices and to a high standard.
Thank you for adding further contact details Jerry, I was unsure of giving your email address but highly recommend potential customers to make full use of it.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:12 pm

The Corris Brakevan build has been a real treat to make. I decided to go with the ducket version and followed the Youtube video, which is essential. Not all of Jerry's kits have the same sequence of construction, so it pays to watch carefully.
All of the pieces fit perfectly, no sanding or cutting required. As usual I built the main body first and painted it and the overlays separately.....
IMG_7818.JPG
IMG_7818.JPG (81.53 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
IMG_7819.JPG
IMG_7819.JPG (75.02 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
The chassis has two slightly different build instructions dependent on whether you choose Binnie or metal wheels, I always use metal ones.
The side door can be made to slide (I chose not to). I also fitted Cambrian bolt heads to add detail, although the heads are etched into the parts anyway.
I have no idea what colour this was when running, it probably varied according to period, so I just did my own thing, again!.....
IMG_7826.JPG
IMG_7826.JPG (109.52 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
IMG_7827.JPG
IMG_7827.JPG (104.62 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
IMG_7830.JPG
IMG_7830.JPG (103.02 KiB) Viewed 3391 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:34 am

That really is a nice looking van Peter. I love the colour by the way. I also do my own thing when it comes to paint colour. I have noticed that the bolts are showing the threaded bolt and nut. I am no expert Peter has you know, but don't they fit them with the head outside and tighten the nut from inside. They do look brilliant I must say with the nut showing, you could weather the board if you were that way inclined, to show the spanner slipping, but then it would be one heck of a job to do on each one...... :lol: :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:41 am

Thanks Rod, you don't need an eye test anyway!
I have given thought to filing off the bolts sticking through the nuts, but left them the way they are moulded. If Cambrian Models produced flat bolt heads that would resolve the issue in the future.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:42 pm

I REALLY like that - quirky, but very attractive...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:59 pm

My next kits arrived this morning from 'Sixteen Mills' .....
https://sixteenmills.yolasite.com/resou ... %20COM.jpg
The first to go on the bench is the Spooner, 'Serpent' brake-van, c1875. I do like these quirky designs, as you might have noticed?......

IMG_7836.JPG
IMG_7836.JPG (107.81 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
It should end up looking something like this.....
Spooner 'Serpent' Guards.jpg
Spooner 'Serpent' Guards.jpg (95.84 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
The kit is very well cut in MDF and supplied with Binnie wheels and axle boxes. I have swapped the wheels with metal rimmed ones as all my stock runs on metal wheels......
IMG_7838.JPG
IMG_7838.JPG (78.22 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
The main body is now assembled and can be primed for top coat. Before painting I have added bolt heads were the engraving shows their position.....
IMG_7837.JPG
IMG_7837.JPG (84.66 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
As with all my builds, I will paint the overlays separately and attach later.
Attachments
IMG_7835.JPG
IMG_7835.JPG (109.77 KiB) Viewed 3987 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:07 pm

That's quite a wagon! I wonder if it was ever built, or was just an idea on a drawing board?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:05 pm

I did wonder myself, although I'm not keen enough to bother with research. An interesting thing about it is that the brake operating wheel is a ship's wheel, this ties in with Spooner's boat on the Ffestiniog, so where is the nautical link?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:53 pm

In answer to Andrew's question about the authenticity of the 'Spooner's Brake-van', this information has been given by Dave at 'Sixteen Mills'.....

"Being influenced by the two Spooner designed wagons as shown in James Boyd's volume 2 on the FR (Sixteen Mills kits SM002 & SM003), I developed further wagons in the handsome Spooner style.
The 'Serpent' brake van SM005, incorporates:
1. A similar side profile to the mid 1950's LNWR Henson Brake van.
2. A low roof to clear the FR loading gauge.
3. An open area to stand up and clearly see from.
4. A pair of ship's portholes from the Portmadoc chandler to see both ways from the cabin on frequent wet days.
They are offset to one side so the brakeman can see both ways when sat on the bench inside.
5. A lowered end to get a clear view from the forward porthole.
6. I fitted a small ships wheel to operate the brake on my own prototype as it was likely to have been available from the chandler's.
7. I wanted to break away from the usual traditional style brake vans."

Good enough for me!