Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
philipy

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:55 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 pm
I would love to show you the pictures but the system is telling me.... ' Sorry but the board attachment quota has been reached'.... ?
Moderators.... any assistance would be appreciated.
Peter, I can't help I'm afraid, it needs Tom for this.
I can confirm that I've just tried to attach a test picture to post this and got the same message, so it isn't just you!.

I don't know if it is related, but a couple of days ago I had problems with even getting the forum to load at all, so it may be that there is some sort of underlying issue.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:34 am

Many thanks for the reply Philip, I hope Tom has also seen the message and will let us all know.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 pm

Excellent news..... thanks to a local friend with a drone and with the kind and generous help and support of our own Rik, a new video has been produced of my Brockhampton and Umbridge Railway, from the air! ....and is now available to view on Youtube......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEhPsDt5ghw

I think it is wonderful and I thank Steve and Rik for filming and editing the video, which could not have been achieved otherwise. Even though I know the railway inside out it shows the landscape from a different perspective which could not be seen any other way. I hope you enjoy their work.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:06 pm

Thanks Peter ( & Rik & Steve).
As you say it shows a new and very different view of your railway and its interesting to see the relationship of various elements that we are very very familiar with at ground level. The flying and editing are superb.

Having said all that, I think I prefer the previous, more usual low level vignette type views, because they allow the suspension of disbelief more easily.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:03 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:55 am
Peter Butler wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 pm
I would love to show you the pictures but the system is telling me.... ' Sorry but the board attachment quota has been reached'.... ?
Moderators.... any assistance would be appreciated.
Peter, I can't help I'm afraid, it needs Tom for this.
I can confirm that I've just tried to attach a test picture to post this and got the same message, so it isn't just you!.

I don't know if it is related, but a couple of days ago I had problems with even getting the forum to load at all, so it may be that there is some sort of underlying issue.
I see that Nomis (of this Forum) has loaded a picture today so the problem seems to be isolated to some and not all users.... any conclusion on that Tom?

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:59 am

Just watched the "from the air" video on the big telly.

I concur with Phillipy that the usual perspective is more engaging, but this does allow one to work out the relation between your elements, and a reveals a surprisingly simple track plan.

Congratulations to all involved.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:20 am

I think what impressed me as I went through the clips, was the stability of the drone. It was a blustery day as you can see from the movement of the bushes and trees at times, but it's difficult to detect any wobbling. Another aspect which I find remarkable is the precision of the drone's movements. I'd like to see a few shots which start off with conventional trackside views of a train in motion which then crane up and over in ways which would be tricky without the drone. A couple of the clips (eg the one over the town), are heading towards this.

I think Steve was trying out a new drone and also the force of the wind made absolute precision tricky. I believe there were a couple of crashes which were not included in the clips which were sent to me for editing. Steve might be planning a return visit so it might be interesting to see the next set of clips.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 am

I think the drone view is fantastic. So many great buildings can be seen, - I never realised there were so many there, from seeing any number of stills.
It's a beautiful railway. I love the shadow of the drone in some segments. Like a flying saucer from the future visiting your railway.

EVERYONE should have to do an aerial overview of their garden and railway, so we can all see the whole view and then get down to the realistic ground level views.

(I could easily watch another one - I didn't notice any station in the views am I blind ???)
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:58 am

Just superbly done, although I am not a lover of music on videos or films or TV programs. It's a thing I personally hate, but on this video I did turn the sound off and enjoyed the view immensely.

It was so well shot with more insight on how you have gone about building your line Peter. I still think this is one of the better lines on the web, but then it's very hard to compare it now because there isn't many arial views of garden railway lines. Though Greg of this parish does have a couple of very good ones also.

I do have a drone though I have yet to use it, not got the room in our garden to try it for the first time... :roll: Don't want to frighten the neighbours.... :roll: :lol: :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:28 am

Thanks to all for your replies. Steve is very much a beginner with his drone and has no experience of railway modelling, therefore no idea of what we would like to see. Equally, I have no experience with drone capabilities so did not interfere with the filming as it could have ended in tears! The drone seemed very small and there was a gusty wind, as Rik has pointed out, however, most of the shots looked perfectly stable. It did have a collision with a small tree but sustained no damage. For a first attempt between Steve and myself and the magic performed by Rik stitching up the pieces, I think it has turned out well and I am delighted to have it on record.
Greg, there are three stations on the line, one inside the shed and two outside. Recently I have posted pictures and descriptions of swapping over the two outdoor station buildings and creating a new platform. Unfortunately I cant load a picture of the finished site as the system is not allowing me to post pictures currently. There are many pictures in previous posts in this thread, so when you have a few hours to spend looking I hope you find them.
I have asked Tom to look into this issue with the Forum as not all users are affected.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:09 pm

Thanks to Tom I am now able to load pictures again...... Thank you Tom!
As mentioned previously, the station buildings and new platform are now installed and I can show you the end result....
IMG_7722.JPG
IMG_7722.JPG (188.4 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
IMG_7721.JPG
IMG_7721.JPG (186.97 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
IMG_7720.JPG
IMG_7720.JPG (165.55 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
I think it makes a lot more sense having a through station on the main line and using the old terminus as a goods yard and engine facility. I can also have more stock ready to run and do some shunting without encroaching on the circuit.
It is probably inevitable that these things only become obvious after the line is finished and its shortcomings can be seen, fortunately not too much disruption this time.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:58 am

Absolutely fantastic as usual from you Peter. Just superb modelling from a master such has yourself... :notworthy: :notworthy:

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Have been away from the forum for a while - just catching up and the station developments look terrific. I think the logic of having the main platform on the mainline is inescapable, and it is going to make operating even more interesting and rewarding. The building is in keeping with the more substantial nature of this station with the sheds and sidings it already has - and the finish on the platform is superb as ever. Wonderful stuff, Peter!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:13 pm

The most recent photographs above show the newly installed station, which was short lived and never saw a moving train due to the time of year, that is, end of season and closing down for winter. I don't run trains in cold or wet weather, and rarely other times either, and with the current restrictions in place there will be no opportunity to have guests, so a good time to remove structures etc, give them a wash and health check, and put them into storage.....
IMG_7782.JPG
IMG_7782.JPG (196.8 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
A Forum member once pointed out that my railway had not enough 'clutter', well I can assure you it has now. The village and other structures, combined with passengers and seating, street furniture, quayside items and other equipment, took the whole of Thursday afternoon to remove and store.
Going.......
IMG_7776.JPG
IMG_7776.JPG (184.75 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
Going......
IMG_7779.JPG
IMG_7779.JPG (180.79 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
Going.....
IMG_7780.JPG
IMG_7780.JPG (181.88 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
Gone.....
IMG_7781.JPG
IMG_7781.JPG (184.02 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
IMG_7783.JPG
IMG_7783.JPG (129.89 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
I am pleased to report that very few need attention of any sort. The HIP structures are in excellent condition, despite the extremely hot weather at the beginning of the year, and very wet and windy conditions more recently. No distortion or separation of material or other damage. As previously reported, the resin structures have again lost paint, which can be easily replaced, a nice indoor activity this time of year!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:15 am

You may have taken your buildings inside Peter but the gardens around them still show how well it works, "Clutter or no clutter". Good to know your HIP have stood up to all what our British weather can dish out. Gives me encouragement to build more. Only thing is there isn't much space to put anymore biggish builds. The garage I have done takes up loads of room. May have to get rid....... :(

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:15 pm

I have now set about the repairs mentioned above and have made a surprising discovery. The building which had a loose ridge tile strip was in worse condition than previously thought. When I removed the ridge, made from HIP and plastic tube, it was intact but separated from the resin roof panels as the adhesive hadn't held.
Also, the resin sides had become detached in places from the resin roof sections.
I know manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure their products are able to withstand exterior use in all weather conditions, and to a degree they do, but......
IMG_7789.JPG
IMG_7789.JPG (102.26 KiB) Viewed 4415 times
This is one side of a resin building which has distorted.
Whilst my HIP structures have 'welded' components together, resin ones rely on adhesive, which is obviously the weak link. I used two part epoxy adhesive to bond them but it has not been up to the job. Is there a better way?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:43 am

I only have limited eperience with resin kits outdoors - 2 to be precise; a GRS windmill and a GRS station building, both of which have been outside since 2014. Although the paintwork is a pain, alway peeling off, I'm not aware of any adhesive problems. However, I'm pretty sure that I used Isopon car filler to stick them together and also to form reinforcing fillets on the inside of the joints.

Looking at your picture there appears to be a fair degree of warping. Since resin slabs can be straightened/flattened before assembly by gently warming, I wonder whether you might have done that originally and the curve has slowly reverted over time?...or whether perhaps it gets the sun on that face and the heat expansion and contraction has weakened the bond and allowed an expansion bend to form?

Just thoughts.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:58 am

Just catching up on your thread Peter - love the drone video!

Your building storing exercise reminded me that I need to do that too. That's mostly station buildings in my case, which encouraged me to run a last passenger service yesterday, pictures later.

I'm glad your buildings have stood up to the weather well, that's very impressive, especially as you've got so many of them. Mine are doing OK except the one tat I can't take indoors, the tunnel mouth. The embossed stonework started peeling of that again, until I attacked it with a staple gun in desperation! I'm hoping the staples will tone down to near-invisibility in time, but I need to touch up the paintwork anyway.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:10 am

I am just dipping my toe in resin buildings for outside, and from what i have read Isopon P38 car body filler is recommended by quite a few people, just letting some dry on my new build as I type, and from what i have seen so far seems quite strong.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:56 am

Thanks guys, interesting subject and one not covered elsewhere on the Forum, as far as I know? Resin structures are growing in availability and popularity but are not yet fully tested on-site in varying conditions and over time. The resin itself has issues with paint peeling and distortion, possibly causing joint stresses and separation? I remembered to score contact surfaces before applying adhesive, but that isn't sufficient it seems.
I have structures made from concrete, HIP and resin. My personal conclusion would have to be not to use resin structures in the future as their maintenance level is higher.