Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:29 pm

Browsing through images in Google I came across some side views of UK railway tank wagons and suddenly became aware of something I had previously neglected to do. Recently I purchased a pre-owned transporter wagon (see five pages back), and standard(ish) gauge tanker, which we discovered was made by Newqida (thanks Simon). This followed continental design, which is different to UK, but I just tidied it up and left it at that. I have just realised the UK ones appear to have additional diagonal bracing rods from each end to the centre of the wagon chassis frame, so I had to set to work to retro-fit these to correct the appearance....
IMG_8139.JPG
IMG_8139.JPG (77.3 KiB) Viewed 4541 times
When attached to the wagon I think it adds so much to the effect....
IMG_8141.JPG
IMG_8141.JPG (96.07 KiB) Viewed 4541 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:38 pm

Excellent Petr, Anglisises it beautifully.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:06 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:38 pm Excellent Petr, Anglisises it beautifully.
Or possibly Cymrifies??

Either way, it looks great, makes a real difference.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:41 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:06 pm
philipy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:38 pm Excellent Petr, Anglisises it beautifully.
Or possibly Cymrifies??

Either way, it looks great, makes a real difference.
Diolch Andrew, I don't know why I hadn't noticed before. It certainly places it in context with the other stock.
IMG_8140.JPG
IMG_8140.JPG (92.55 KiB) Viewed 4529 times

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:57 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:29 pm Recently I purchased a pre-owned transporter wagon (see five pages back), and standard(ish) gauge tanker, which we discovered was made by Newqida (thanks Simon). This followed continental design, which is different to UK, but I just tidied it up and left it at that. I have just realised the UK ones appear to have additional diagonal bracing rods from each end to the centre of the wagon chassis frame, so I had to set to work to retro-fit these to correct the appearance....
It looks great with the bracing rods, Peter, this was something I plan to do to mine. I wasn't aware it was a UK/continental difference, but noted that the bracing was common to the older wagons, while newer wagons appeared to have been fabricated without it - so it seems a good way to 'age' the wagon.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:54 pm

Time to get kit building again, this time a bogie passenger/luggage coach from The Lineside Hut. I have built several of their kits and they have all turned out well as the design and cut of the high quality plywood parts is perfect. From the picture below you can see just how many parts are supplied, meaning no additional bracing pieces are required, as I have discovered from another manufacturer previously. This kit even includes seating, overlays for the passenger section interiors, material covering for door inner panels, glazing, door handles and even decals, all for £47.00 (plus £5.00 postage). That certainly passes the 'value for money' test for me!
The only additional items to fit are bogies, wheels and buffers of your choice, which I prefer rather than paying for Binnie wheels, which I don't use! (Nothing wrong with Binnie wheels, I just prefer metal)
IMG_8146.JPG
IMG_8146.JPG (117.65 KiB) Viewed 4340 times

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:57 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:54 pm Time to get kit building again, this time a bogie passenger/luggage coach from The Lineside Hut. I have built several of their kits and they have all turned out well as the design and cut of the high quality plywood parts is perfect. From the picture below you can see just how many parts are supplied, meaning no additional bracing pieces are required, as I have discovered from another manufacturer previously. This kit even includes seating, overlays for the passenger section interiors, material covering for door inner panels, glazing, door handles and even decals, all for £47.00 (plus £5.00 postage). That certainly passes the 'value for money' test for me!
The only additional items to fit are bogies, wheels and buffers of your choice, which I prefer rather than paying for Binnie wheels, which I don't use! (Nothing wrong with Binnie wheels, I just prefer metal)

IMG_8146.JPG
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out - I have a few of these to build when time allows!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:11 pm

Swiftly changing the subject, another kit arrived in the post from Dave at Sixteen Mills. This is one based on, and adapted from, his livestock wagon which I covered previously. He happened to mention this during conversation and sent me an image, I was immediately hooked!
The original livestock wagon, now occupied by sheep, is based on a drawing by Spooner and intended for the Ffestiniog Railway, although whether it was actually built I don't know. The changes Dave has made are to increase the length and height slightly and add an upper deck with with four compartments on each level, each having sliding doors for loading, in this case, chickens and ducks.

The kit arrived yesterday.....
IMG_8158.JPG
IMG_8158.JPG (121.15 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
and now has reached this stage of assembly......
IMG_8162.JPG
IMG_8162.JPG (132.84 KiB) Viewed 4134 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:21 pm

I'm impressed by the fineness of the grilles on the cages. They must be very fragile.
Those chickens look very much at home.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:31 pm

Rik, the grilles are surprisingly sturdy and very accurately cut. From my experience with Dave's kits he works things out very well and makes everything fit for purpose. Since my last post I have continued with the build, while watching 'Time Team' on You-tube.... very relaxing!
The current situation is as shown below, just the roof and underframe to complete. I'm very happy with this wagon as it fits in well with my style, not prototypical but plausible.....
IMG_8165.JPG
IMG_8165.JPG (141.74 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
IMG_8166.JPG
IMG_8166.JPG (123.25 KiB) Viewed 4120 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:32 pm

Here is the finished item complete with vented roof and lever brake gear, as supplied with the kit.....
IMG_8170.JPG
IMG_8170.JPG (127.93 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
For comparison, the two similar livestock wagons together.....
IMG_8173.JPG
IMG_8173.JPG (125.53 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
I really like the appearance of these, they will look well in a mixed goods train.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:34 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:32 pm I really like the appearance of these, they will look well in a mixed goods train.
They certainly will!

Thinking back over some of your past builds it could be a very mixed goods train indeed...

Andrew

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:30 pm

A really impressive pair of wagons. Well done!! :thumbright: :thumbright:
Waldeker EisenBahn

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:40 pm

Beautifully done, as always.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:10 pm

Returning to the freelance bowsider carriage from The Lineside Hut, as shown above, I bought one kit to try with the intention of buying more to make a train of all three variants. The first kit is now under construction and I am very happy with it. Meanwhile, I discovered a job lot of these same carriages for sale on eBay, along with another kit from a different supplier. I was successful in winning the auction and received a huge box in the post, which also included another Lineside Hut kit thrown in for free..... bonus! The free kit turned out to be a Ffestiniog Coach 20, which I have found on their website, and is priced at £120.00.... wow!
IMG_8159.JPG
IMG_8159.JPG (123.96 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
There is a slight problem however, no instructions and clearly a few parts missing.
Having dealt with Simon at The Lineside Hut previously I know him to be extremely helpful, and following an email request to him I received a reply the next day offering all assistance I needed to complete the kit. I now have a copy of the instructions (all seven pages!) to be able to work out what is missing, but I can see already the coach, which is built to scale, is just too long to run on my railway, so I have decided to cut it in half, which means I need parts additional to the original, including extra balcony platforms, end panels and overlays, all of which Simon has offered to supply, as well as cutting new sole plates to fit.
I call that exceptionally good service and worthy of praise.

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:27 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:10 pm Returning to the freelance bowsider carriage from The Lineside Hut, as shown above, I bought one kit to try with the intention of buying more to make a train of all three variants. The first kit is now under construction and I am very happy with it. Meanwhile, I discovered a job lot of these same carriages for sale on eBay, along with another kit from a different supplier. I was successful in winning the auction and received a huge box in the post, which also included another Lineside Hut kit thrown in for free..... bonus! The free kit turned out to be a Ffestiniog Coach 20, which I have found on their website, and is priced at £120.00.... wow!
IMG_8159.JPG
What a bargain! I spotted those also but my kit backlog is too long already! :lol:

As always look forward to seeing the progress on these.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:21 pm

That does sound like a bargain!

Really like you latest livestock wagons. I'm tempted to produce something similar for the PLR.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Hello Peter,
I have worked my way through all 2597 posts..
What an epic! Highly entertaining, and informative.

I have worked-out BURPS..

I think HIP is High Impact Polystyrene? - Platicard, I assume?

But SBR has me Stumped.. :dontknow:
Some sort of plasticiser or bonding agent?

Please enlighten me.

Thank you,
Phil.P

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:21 pm

Phil.P wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:07 pm Hello Peter,
I have worked my way through all 2597 posts..
What an epic! Highly entertaining, and informative.

I have worked-out BURPS..

I think HIP is High Impact Polystyrene? - Platicard, I assume?

But SBR has me Stumped.. :dontknow:
Some sort of plasticiser or bonding agent?

Please enlighten me.

Thank you,
Phil.P
Thanks Phil, your medal is in the post!

1. HIP is as you describe
2. SBR is also as you describe and can be found on eBay by entering the letters SBR. Builders use it to add to screed mix as it is flexible and waterproof. I find it works very well in certain conditions, but not on all materials. It forms a skin around fine ballast (not aquarium sized gravel) and bonds to roofing felt very well. I have also used it on a timber base, which is not good, as the expansion/contraction of the wood causes it to release. If you try it do not be alarmed by the blue colour, that will disappear after a while. Use plenty to saturate the ballast completely. It is important to keep the area dry for some days to allow the SBR to set after a surface skin has formed.
When used correctly it takes a hammer and chisel to shift it!

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:35 pm

Thank you for the clarification..

I will need to take care, as I am embarrassed, in the lump hammer department! :dontknow:

Phil.P