Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:55 pm

Thanks for that information Steve, I wasn't aware of the changes.
To get the ball rolling I can add pictures of my most recent build of one of Dave's (Sixteen Mills) kits. I previously mentioned purchase of two and began with details of the Horse Box, although whilst waiting for paints I have already finished the second kit first. This is a Fish Van with upper louvres and external overlays......
IMG_7986.JPG
IMG_7986.JPG (107.87 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
IMG_8002.JPG
IMG_8002.JPG (124.4 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
After painting the box unit and overlays separately the overall effect looks very neat and tidy.....
IMG_8014.JPG
IMG_8014.JPG (104.45 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
IMG_8016.JPG
IMG_8016.JPG (121.86 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Earlier in the thread I have also shown his Covered Sheep Van and Serpent Brake-Van.
I hope Dave will show more of his range as they are very well constructed.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Sixteen Mills
New User
New User

Post by Sixteen Mills » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:09 pm

The fish van looks great. A very neat job.
I've been doing some very minor tweaks today to a couple of G3 coaches. Hope to test cut tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_20210117_190244.jpg
IMG_20210117_190244.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 3611 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:06 am

Really impressed with the van Peter.

It's worth the time you put into them, you always produce excellent models. I always look forward to more of your work.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:28 pm

Some time ago I scratch-built a pair of small coal wagons but never had a satisfactory way of coupling them. Conventional centre buffers were too big and small chain too difficult to connect. However, Jerry Irwin to the rescue with a new type of coupling he now makes himself......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccMIKsvF5W8&t=11s

I have fitted some to my wagons and I think they look the part and work well.....
IMG_8028.JPG
IMG_8028.JPG (95.94 KiB) Viewed 3416 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:56 pm

Those look very good indeed... I could do with something similar for smaller wagons, but with a conventional hook on top, might have to invest in some of these and have a play - thanks Peter!

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:16 pm

Interesting Peter, thanks.
What are they made of?
In design terms they look reminiscent of Festiniog couplings, although I'm no expert.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:39 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:16 pm In design terms they look reminiscent of Festiniog couplings, although I'm no expert.
Nor me, but I think you're right - the ones on the FR 2T slate waggons are like that minus to he central strengthening bit...

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:03 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:16 pm Interesting Peter, thanks.
What are they made of?
My guess is that they are printed in UV resin..... they are black on the surface but beneath that they seem to be opaque. They show no striations and are ready to be attached to the wagon, although I did file off the paint for better adhesion.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:41 am

Those wagon do look so good Peter. I think I will need to go back to Plasticard to make some similar. :thumbright:
It's the wheel sets that are in short supply for me at the moment though.

Jerry
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Jerry » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:11 pm

Just a a little update on the couplings that Peter has fitted.
I loosley designed them on a Slate Wagon Festiniog image. They were designed to be fitted to my New Slate Wagon that I am at present designing.
I ended up designing 2 types. The one as fitted to Peter's wagon ( as well as glue can also be secured by 2 off 2 mm Alen Bolts / nuts ) and a second that is similar but has no 'buffer bar' and relies on glue bond.
If any others are interested I can do ANY CHANGES required.
I have carried out pull / break tests and the chain parts company with its self at 5 Kg.. see you tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNbc5FFwlms

They are indeed UV Resin Based. They are not painted, that is the colour of the resin . But when scraped / sanded they have a grey colour.
I will leave it to the experts why the colour is different .. way above my pay grade !!!
After designing them it was suggested that I put them on ebay for others to enjoy..
This I have done.
Any other questions then thru forum or email me direct... Jerry.irwin@homecall.co.uk
Attachments
20210118_102125.jpg
20210118_102125.jpg (366.76 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
20210118_135101.jpg
20210118_135101.jpg (224.99 KiB) Viewed 3282 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:32 pm

Many thanks for the detailed information Jerry, they certainly look good on my small wagons and I am in the market for more..... email to follow!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:47 pm

Jerry wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:11 pm Just a a little update on the couplings that Peter has fitted.
I loosley designed them on a Slate Wagon Festiniog image. They were designed to be fitted to my New Slate Wagon that I am at present designing.
I ended up designing 2 types. The one as fitted to Peter's wagon ( as well as glue can also be secured by 2 off 2 mm Alen Bolts / nuts ) and a second that is similar but has no 'buffer bar' and relies on glue bond.
If any others are interested I can do ANY CHANGES required.
I have carried out pull / break tests and the chain parts company with its self at 5 Kg.. see you tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNbc5FFwlms

They are indeed UV Resin Based. They are not painted, that is the colour of the resin . But when scraped / sanded they have a grey colour.
I will leave it to the experts why the colour is different .. way above my pay grade !!!
After designing them it was suggested that I put them on ebay for others to enjoy..
This I have done.
Any other questions then thru forum or email me direct... Jerry.irwin@homecall.co.uk
Hi Jerry
Do you want to start a thread in the Suppliers Forum. I've just unlocked it so you and other suppliers can post info about products there.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:26 pm

Continued from page 165... 'Sixteen Mills' Horsebox kit.
The kit went together without any issues being well designed and cut from MDF. Whenever there is an overlay framework I always paint the parts separately to make it easier and tidier. In this case however, with the exception of the ends, I had to paint frames and other parts which were cut from the same sheet without overlays. It takes longer and needs a steady hand, but the finish is satisfactory.....
IMG_8045.JPG
IMG_8045.JPG (106.51 KiB) Viewed 3596 times

In addition to the kit as supplied I also fitted metal wheels, Binnie buffers, rivet (coach-bolt) heads, cast brass door handles, company initial lettering and crest, finished off with a clear satin lacquer.....
IMG_8054.JPG
IMG_8054.JPG (108.5 KiB) Viewed 3596 times
That is another stock item finished and put safely in a box waiting for some sunshine.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:50 pm

Hello Peter,

That's yet another superb vehicle. The Sixteen Mills kits appear to be lovely vehicles. Based on your description of the builds I'm tempted. I'm not sure I could make quite such a good job but they look like they would be a pleasure to put together in themselves.

Thanks for the description and the photo's of the finished article.

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:29 pm

Since moving away from scratch-building to kits I have experienced many different standards of manufacture, the majority of which have satisfied my 'value for money' quest. 'Sixteen Mills' kits have met that criteria with honours. It is important to look carefully at any kit offered for sale as they don't necessarily conform to a standard 16mm. dimensional expectation. It must be remembered that prototype stock was built for a specific use on any narrow gauge railway, either for carrying goods or taking environmental restrictions into account. The horsebox is based on Irish 3ft. railway stock and modelled in 15mm/ft scale, making it a larger than normal vehicle. On the other hand, some freelance kits are possibly smaller than average, but when stock is based on Ffestiniog Railway items they look perfectly OK together.
Just to show a quite extreme comparison these are two such examples.....
IMG_8047.JPG
IMG_8047.JPG (98.14 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
As long as these are not used together I have no problem with the size. In fact, when scratch-building I had made a cattle wagon from HIP and when the horsebox is put alongside it they are perfectly matched......
IMG_8044.JPG
IMG_8044.JPG (99.31 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
Should anyone need clarification about dimensions, Dave at 'Sixteen Mills' is open to discussion and even modification to his kits.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:23 am

Wow, that's quite a difference in scale, Peter. I wouldn't have expected such a wide variation between 15mm and 16mm scale. I have models in both scales on my railway and not noticed such a big difference.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:50 pm

Hi Peter,

That's a really important point and most dramatically made. One thing I always check when looking at kits is the overall height. I'm sure some people would find character in a variety of stock heights and the effect it creates, personally I prefer stock that looks like it was all built to the same overall specification for the railway, at least within the same train - the very point you make in your post and which your photo's so splendidly illustrate.

Just out of interest, how tall are the two larger vehicles?

All the best,

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:31 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:50 pm

Just out of interest, how tall are the two larger vehicles?

CFLR Andrew
The dimensions of Dave's kits are shown on his website.... 'Sixteen Mills'.... The horsebox is.... L. 220. W. 105. H. 160. (mm). I think my HIP cattle truck was based on W&L stock, so is fairly substantial.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:23 am

Thank you so much Peter for your excellent explanation of kit size's. Scale is something I find so hard to fathom. I usually look at my "Billy" for height for most, which isn't much, of my builds and you have shown what to look out for to all members when considering kits and indeed scratch building.

This surge, well it's been going for sometime now, in 7/8th's for 32mm and I guess 45mm was something I was considering doing at one time. Would I be right in saying that 15mm scale is on the lines of 7/8th's, or am I completely talking rubbish.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:24 am

I do love the horse box by the way..... :salute: