Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
philipy

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by philipy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:07 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:18 pm it does tend to creep! Mine has crept all the way across the track in several places in only 8 weeks!
Like this you mean,Andrew? :D
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG (225.44 KiB) Viewed 5477 times
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:03 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:34 pm Not much happening here at the moment, poor weather recently and not a kit in sight!
I did a quick inspection of the railway to check on plant growth, storm damage etc. and discovered this......
IMG_7448.JPG
Natural creeper (?) of some sort growing quite realistically up the rear wall of the disused forge, if you wanted it to it would never happen!
Like the roof on the building Peter. It does look just like a sagging roof on a real building. Was it done intentionally.

I suspect that the plant was some seed from a bird :roll:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:35 am

Thank you all from the RHS and garden railway enthusiasts too. The plant is one of several I bought at a local garden centre simply because it stated on the pot that it would spread and not grow to be tall. Whatever it is seems unimportant to me as long as it looks the part. I am so pleased with the way it has started to cover the wall, just as it would appear on any abandoned full size structure.
Rod, the dip in the roof is definitely intentional as it represents an old and abandoned forge, unused for many years. I wanted to see whether I could re-create the appearance so this is how I constructed the roof support before adding the slates, some of which are slipping.......
IMG_4514.JPG
IMG_4514.JPG (153.76 KiB) Viewed 5438 times
IMG_4515.JPG
IMG_4515.JPG (135.13 KiB) Viewed 5438 times
IMG_4583.JPG
IMG_4583.JPG (130.42 KiB) Viewed 5438 times
IMG_4585.JPG
IMG_4585.JPG (127.05 KiB) Viewed 5438 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:06 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:35 am Rod, the dip in the roof is definitely intentional as it represents an old and abandoned forge, unused for many years.
Brilliant stuff.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:01 am

Has Andy stated Peter.
That is truly a work of art, that would grace anywhere it was placed. One day I hope to achieve something resembling your work.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:14 pm

I like that very much!

I'm also tempted to have a go at emulating it at some point - a gradually collapsing farm building would look just right next to my line, I think...

It must have been tricky to get the two halves of the sagging roof to meet in the middle - complex geometry or trial and error?

Cheers,

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:39 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:14 pm

It must have been tricky to get the two halves of the sagging roof to meet in the middle - complex geometry or trial and error?

Andrew
Thanks Andrew,
just trial and error.... I don't do complex!
In reality not too difficult at all as the plastikard is easy to bend into shape and welds together quickly to form a strong joint. Once one side is positioned the second can be scribed against it. It is also well braced inside to give additional support.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 pm

These days I don't go to too much trouble to add interior detail to carriages I build, generally they would be too far away, or at an inconvenient height, to inspect closely. I always fit seating, and a few passengers as required, to make them look used, but little else.
But.... thirty years ago, when I was out on the exhibition circuit, things were different. Layouts were close enough to the audience so that people could inspect everything, and they expected to see fully fitted interiors, particularly in this scale.
I have just decided to make alterations to one of my early vehicles which required removal of the fixed roof.....
IMG_3671.JPG
IMG_3671.JPG (160.09 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
IMG_3672.JPG
IMG_3672.JPG (152.17 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
IMG_3673.JPG
IMG_3673.JPG (125.32 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
As you can see, the roof has warped and some adhesive is showing, so it had to go.
This exposed the interior, which represents the Director's Saloon complete with home comforts, artworks, plush seating, food, drinks, and lighting (non working). There is a private toilet towards the front (not detailed) and other little luxuries. It was made so the glazing is removable and I will replace that too. This has allowed me to photograph through the window aperture and gives views not usually accessible......
IMG_7515.JPG
IMG_7515.JPG (109.39 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
IMG_7516.JPG
IMG_7516.JPG (117.99 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
IMG_7510.JPG
IMG_7510.JPG (108.36 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
IMG_7519.JPG
IMG_7519.JPG (105.22 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
IMG_7521.JPG
IMG_7521.JPG (110.93 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
IMG_7510.JPG
IMG_7510.JPG (108.36 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
I am in the process of making a new roof as well as fitting a second motor bogie to the rear of the carriage. I found that the Lima motor bogie, under the tender, is not powerful enough to move the model, even though it was sufficient on the indoor layout. However, I have had to make changes to it from track power to 12v battery housed in a trailing wagon, thereby adding weight.
More to follow.
Last edited by Peter Butler on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:28 am

I like the convex curves on the lower sections of the coach body, not easy to build like that I would of thought. Nice build inside as well.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:19 am

Another masterpiece, Peter. I don't recall having seen this one before.

A Director's Saloon is on my to-do list, but I doubt mine (when I get around to it) will be anywhere near as elaborate. I can blame the impecunious state of the PLR finances .....

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:32 am

Superb Peter. That's a winner in anyones book. :thumbright:

Love the cream buns by the way... :lol:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:42 am

BTW Peter
Are the details dolls house accessories, charity shop finds or have you sculpted them yourself? The bust of Queen Victoria is particularly impressive.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:45 am

Thanks again for the kind words..... In answer to Rik's question, most of the interior fittings are from dolls house suppliers, including the window blinds and cushion covers.... wall-paper. The wall mounted light fittings are from a small scale steam carriage model, and the rear windows are 'N' scale church window frames in white-metal.
If it looks about right, use it!

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:40 am

Its a charming item of rolling stock. Impressed by the elaborate curved sides.
The bust of good Queen Vic perched on the shelf is a testiment to the quality of trackwork on your line!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:45 am Thanks again for the kind words..... In answer to Rik's question, most of the interior fittings are from dolls house suppliers, including the window blinds and cushion covers.... wall-paper. The wall mounted light fittings are from a small scale steam carriage model, and the rear windows are 'N' scale church window frames in white-metal.
If it looks about right, use it!
Thanks Peter. I think it's your attention to detail which I really admire, not to mention your skill in constructing your creations. Somehow you have a knack of bringing everything together in a way which works - I'd say it's a balance between artistic flair and technical ability - plus, presumably, a fair bit of sheer effort.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:43 pm

The Director's Saloon is now back in service and working far better than anticipated. The addition of a second Lima motor bogie unit has made all the difference, it is certainly more powerful but also smooths out the running characteristics. It is also very quiet.
I made a support cradle from Meccano to attach the unit from below the floor, having first cut out a section to allow it to fit inside the carriage.....
IMG_7525.JPG
IMG_7525.JPG (97.73 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
IMG_7523.JPG
IMG_7523.JPG (81.69 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
IMG_7524.JPG
IMG_7524.JPG (93.45 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
The new roof is now permanently attached and looks so much better.....
IMG_7530.JPG
IMG_7530.JPG (167.88 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
IMG_7531.JPG
IMG_7531.JPG (172.51 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
A third motor is also fitted to drive the flywheel, which rotates in the direction of travel when the Saloon is in motion. The linkage for this is via Delrin chain and sprockets to a home-made crank shaft and slide valves.....
IMG_7532.JPG
IMG_7532.JPG (130.52 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
Finally, being converted to on-board battery power, I needed a switch and charge socket, which are mounted between the loco and carriage, so not too visible.....
IMG_7534.JPG
IMG_7534.JPG (124.2 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
Well, it makes me happy!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:26 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:43 pm Well, it makes me happy!
And so it should Peter, enjoyed the close-up of the steam cylinders and motion. It would have been fun putting all that complication together. The new roof certainly accentuates the coaches very crisp lines.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:06 am

I would be happy also Peter. You say it runs a lot more smoothly with the second motor, does that mean two motors are now powering the coach, or is one in the loco. Sorry for being stupid and asking want for some is simple for them, but for me I haven't been into modelling has long as most members and I am learning all the time.
Another thing is, I didn't know Lima were suitable for 32mm gauge ?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:04 am

Each new photo reveals yet more detail - eg the surfaces on the steps and the tiny crest on the side of the coach. Stunning!
A neat solution to the problem of being under powered. You must have a secret stash of Lima motor blocks.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:07 am

Thanks again for your comments, I have to admit I have now started to enjoy this vehicle again after losing interest previously because of its problems. I first thought of building a powered, motorised truck to push it along, but that would have looked ungainly.
As I knew the roof was only part of my concern with it, I thought I should do a proper job, hence the surgery!
Fortunately, I had a Lima motor bogie ( Rod.... these are built for 7mm scale '0' gauge, so fit our 32mm track) This, however, is my last and I know how hard they are to find these days.
The two powered bogies are wired together, one at the rear, the other positioned underneath the tender, both pivot. The carriage is also articulated to the locomotive, so will happily take on all track conditions.
Rik.... I do like adding little details to my builds, but I think is is important to know when to stop, it can easily go too far!